Worthwhile upgrade from XP to Win 7?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2753
mab | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 31 2011 3:26 PM

Is there any viable advantage to switch from XP Pro to Win 7 Pro on a 2GB machine for which there is no RAM upgrade. I realize I've got just under 2 years before MS says Kaddish over any remaining XP installations. I would think performance would take a hit on this legacy hardware if I went with Win 7 now. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2011 4:10 PM

There is no reason to upgrade to Windows 7, and it probably wouldn't run very well on that machine anyway. If you want to keep your old XP machine running longer and keep it performance-tuned as well as possible given the RAM limitations, I'd recommend this e-book by my old boss from Microsoft: Maintaining Windows XP: A Practical Guide . I would instead save my money to buy a new machine with more memory in it sometime in the next couple of years. You'll probably need to get one sooner or later anyway, and the money you'd spend now to upgrade to Win 7 would be money down the drain.

Posts 27039
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2011 4:33 PM

Michael Ballai:
I would think performance would take a hit on this legacy hardware if I went with Win 7 now. 

Probably not if less than 5 years old with a dual core CPU, but it would be a waste of money!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 102
shane blyth | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2011 4:43 PM

sometimes a low computer can give you time to think!!!! ... no really,  but yes Windows 7 would be awfully slow on such a system

Posts 1712
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2011 7:25 PM

Michael Ballai:
Is there any viable advantage to switch from XP Pro to Win 7 Pro on a 2GB machine for which there is no RAM upgrade.

I'll agree with the others here, Michael. Better to save your pennies towards a new machine.

Posts 9526
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2011 7:41 PM

Michael Ballai:
I would think performance would take a hit on this legacy hardware if I went with Win 7 now. 

I think the bigger issue might be driver problems if your computer is five years old or older, especially if you try to upgrade to 64-bit computing.

The biggest bang for the buck with Logos 4 is usually moving up to 4 GB of RAM. Then in approximate order cost order: upgrading to a faster HD and adding a discrete video card with plenty of on-board RAM. Note I did not put upgrading the operating system on this list since I haven't seen much evidence that it adds much to Logos' performance. I upgraded my then 2+ year old computer with Win7 64-bit, 4 GB of RAM, and a faster HD and it turned my laptop into a machine that runs Logos 4 acceptably.

Since you are maxed out with RAM I'd stay with XP. If you have a slower HD I might consider upgrading that.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2753
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2011 8:09 PM

I did add a discrete video card with .5GB of RAM which definitely improved the performance over the integrated graphics. Since I reinstalled the OS, it's actually pretty nimble even with Logos. If it does two more years, I won't complain.  

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS