New collections explained & Syntax examples

Page 7 of 7 (132 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7
This post has 132 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 3:15 AM

JimDunne:
I'm guessing trom the position you took in your reply that you probably meant "agree', not "argue".  Yes?

I meant argue alongside of, as in on the same team, but agree would have certainly been clearer :-)

JimDunne:
Wow, this is great insight on the use of tags.  Thanks very much!  I need to play with this some more.

Keep in mind you can tag multiple items at once. Happy playing!

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 3:50 AM

Dave Hooton:
But you tag as extensively as you do because the library metadata is barely usable, which drags us all back to to the level of L3, and Collections are getting a bit of a hammering as a result.

I agree that cleaning up the metadata will go a long way in calming some of the opposition to collections, but for those who want to be more involved in the management and oversight of their libraries, tags may be the way to go. Personally I do not want to manage 2200 resources. That's what I pay Logos for :-)

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 3:51 AM

Hey Philip,

Can you have a look at the images I added to your page on collections - is it OK?

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 4:06 AM

Damian McGrath:

Hey Philip,

Can you have a look at the images I added to your page on collections - is it OK?

Looks good to me. Teamwork is a beautiful thing. Thanks!

While I'm posting I might as well add in another thought that I had. For those who want to manage their resources by tagging them rather then trusting collections, collections still have great value. Suppose you want to tag your Theologies into sub categories e.g. TheoSys for systematic theologies, TheoJourn for theological journals, and TheoMono for resources dealing with one particular theology. There may be times when you want to search all of these resources, rather then each one separately. Rather then doubling your tagging work whenever a new resource is added, just create a Collection with a rule of [mytag:theo]. When you go to search us tags to search subcategories and collections primary categories. If you have another non-theological tag containing theo you can use [mytag:theosys, theojourn, theomono]. If you want only your favorite theologies from these categories add [ AND rating:>=3]. Or if you want Logos to back you up and make sure you didn't forget to tag a resource use a string that finds theologies based on titles and types and then add [ OR mytag:theo] to the end. That will create a "checks and balance".

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 4:07 AM

Dave Hooton:
Ultimately, Collections should benefit both Library Management and Searching.

A fair enough statement :-)

Posts 517
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 6:49 AM

Philip Spitzer:
There may be times when you want to search all of these resources, rather then each one separately. Rather then doubling your tagging work whenever a new resource is added, just create a Collection with a rule of [mytag:theo]. When you go to search us tags to search subcategories and collections primary categories. If you have another non-theological tag containing theo you can use [mytag:theosys, theojourn, theomono].

Instead, you could just use nested collections and search under a single collection or the higher group of collections.  I've tested this and it works.  See post http://community.logos.com/forums/p/3800/41270.aspx#41270

Posts 6
Rick Tinsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 7:01 AM

I am new to posting, so I am not sure if I am doing this right, but here goes.

I really like all these suggestions for collections, but I would like to know what all "commands" are allowed to be used to help limit your selections.

I have looked under "HELP" and have found some, but after watching some of the training videos, I see there are many more.

Then when I read on the FORUMS, I see evern more.

Is there anyone who has a listing of all the commands available and instructions what they do?

Thanks

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 7:16 AM

Look under "collections" at the  FAQ .

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 855
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 9:25 AM

No question that Collections are a valuable tool.

They will never replace the work each user will need to do because of the subjective demands of each user. The fact that Collections are user-definable is part of what makes LOGOS so great.

Suggestion: Dropdown menus like those which define search limits and which resources / Collections to search. These could contain a comprehensive list of all the categories. These could begin with a dropdown menu that asks if you want to 'Include' or 'Exclude' the following items.

In the Visual Filters section, each time you add a new criteria, a new line pops up allowing the option of adding other filters. This could help a great deal. The user can keep adding until they get to where they want to be.

It would be nice if the My Library window could be open and accessible during this process.

BUT: what might be a great help to the "average user" who has no patience for these kind of "under-the-hood" options ... if a battery of 10-20 default collections came with each package - RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. Though these could still be user-definable, those who have no desire to meddle in such matters would still gain enormously from the addition of these Collections. This would help LOGOS  stay true to their desire that EVERYONE experience Bible Study  'reimagined'  AND also maintain their status as a software package that DOES allow a huge selection of tools for the more advanced users.

Posts 855
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 9:29 AM

PS - What Philip is doing is a great beginning.

Posts 13
David M Reid | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 2:26 AM

Hi, thanks for the post - one question - once I type the rule and can see the result set - How do I select all? There is nothing on the right mouse click menu, and Ctl-A doesn't do anything. So I have to drag and drop my resources one at a time - a real pain and time intensive. I am running Logos 4 under XP Service Pack 3. Any helpful comments appreciated.

Posts 13
David M Reid | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 2:34 AM

Ignore my question - I have worked it out. The rule executes and gives me a list. I seem to then have to drag and drop resources from my library to then refine the rule.

Page 7 of 7 (132 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 | RSS