Laptop purchase questions

Page 2 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 46 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 844
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 14 2011 5:52 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Bill Cook:

I have read many laptop reviews. I don't know of many manufacturers who have yet to conquer the heat generation of the Mobile i7's. So, am a bit wary. Went with an i5...

Funny that this was below the person who said a Lenovo beats the MBPro when the MBPro has an Intel Core i7 and very little heat issues.

My MBPro is easily the best computer I've ever owned or used by a wise margin. In my position at Notebooks.com I've had a chance to play with quite a few of them. It is the best windows machine or mac available.

And if you look around even in these forums you will find that I was an ardent PC guy until 6 months ago and still really like Windows 7 a lot.

So are you running Logos as a Mac or in Windows on your MacBook Pro? And what is your MBP model and configuration and price?

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 71
Paul Buckhiester | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 14 2011 11:55 AM

Eric,

So far (two weeks), heat is not a problem, nor is fan noise. My screen is 1920 by 1080 and it is amazing. Video card is 2GB! Hard drive is 750 1200 rpm. Ram is 8 GB. I got the heavier nine-cell battery which lasts 3-4 hours. Does not have VGA out, but has Display Port with adaptor dongle that works fine.

Paul

Posts 844
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 14 2011 12:06 PM

Paul Buckhiester:

Eric,

So far (two weeks), heat is not a problem, nor is fan noise. My screen is 1920 by 1080 and it is amazing. Video card is 2GB! Hard drive is 750 1200 rpm. Ram is 8 GB. I got the heavier nine-cell battery which lasts 3-4 hours. Does not have VGA out, but has Display Port with adaptor dongle that works fine.

Paul

So you have a full HD 1920x1080 display on a Dell 15.6" laptop screen? Wow. I figured 1920x1080 would be too small for that screen size for most programs and the desktop display and icons.

I assume your HDD is 7200 RPM - the choices for large HDDs I've seen seem to be

5400RPM: 500GB & 750GB & 1TB

or

7200RPM: 500GB & 640GB

From what people say, I'd get the faster 640GB 7200RPM, even though it's not the largest HDD.

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 18 2011 4:26 AM

Hi,

I just bought a new Lenovo W520 to use for my Bible studies.  I purchased it with one 4GB stick of ram and then ordered 16GB of matched faster ram that my processor will support.  The new ram is in transit to me now.  I also purchased and already installed an 80GB Intel mSATA card that I'm going to use as the boot disk for Windows 7 Professional and I'm removing the 500GB 7200 RPM Hitachi drive that came with the machine and am installing a 750GB WD Scorpio Black 7200 RPM spinning disk for data.  The new drive should be here today.

The machine arrived in flawless condition and removing the keyboard to install the mSATA card was simple.  For the ram, I'm going to be using 16 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800), with 2 sticks under the keyboard and 2 sticks in the bottom of the laptop.  The screen is FHD 1920 x 1080, which is actually smaller in resolution than my Thinkpad T61p with 1920 x 1200 that I have been using for 3 years.

I got it with the i7-2820QM processor and the Nvidia Quadro 2000M discrete graphics.  You can use the onboard Intel Sandy Bridge graphics alone, the NVIDIA alone, or you can have the computer switch between the 2 with a simple BIOS setting.  I leave mine on discrete all of the time.

The Lenovo W520 is very quiet and it's built like a tank.  It feels very solid and comfortable.  The keyboard is wonderful.  It has USB 3.0, a DisplayPort port, an eSATA port, Firewire, a fingerprint scanner, HD camera, and a screen color calibrator too.  It has a lot of other features that I did not mention in this post, but if you are looking for THE laptop, the W520 pretty much blows everything else away, including the MBP.

It's an AWESOME computer.

I'm 55 years old and it's not hard to read the screen.  And the screen has a nice MATTE finish, not that thick shiny type of monitor that you spend 75% of your time looking at yourself in.

Posts 235
Steve Clevenger | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 18 2011 7:12 AM

Kevin A. Purcell wrote:

>>My MBPro is easily the best computer I've ever owned or used by a wise margin. In my position at Notebooks.com >>I've had a chance to play with quite a few of them. It is the best windows machine or mac available.

>>And if you look around even in these forums you will find that I was an ardent PC guy until 6 months ago and still >>really like Windows 7 a lot.

Kevin,

MBPro are beautiful machines, but how do you justify the MORE than twice the price of a comparable PC? Furthermore, it appears that Logos4 is not running quite as smooth on Mac as on PC. I keep looking at MCPro but cannot rationally overcome these hurdles.  I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

Steve

Posts 844
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 18 2011 8:21 AM

MikeM:

Hi,

I just bought a new Lenovo W520 to use for my Bible studies.  I purchased it with one 4GB stick of ram and then ordered 16GB of matched faster ram that my processor will support.  The new ram is in transit to me now.  I also purchased and already installed an 80GB Intel mSATA card that I'm going to use as the boot disk for Windows 7 Professional and I'm removing the 500GB 7200 RPM Hitachi drive that came with the machine and am installing a 750GB WD Scorpio Black 7200 RPM spinning disk for data.  The new drive should be here today.

The machine arrived in flawless condition and removing the keyboard to install the mSATA card was simple.  For the ram, I'm going to be using 16 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800), with 2 sticks under the keyboard and 2 sticks in the bottom of the laptop.  The screen is FHD 1920 x 1080, which is actually smaller in resolution than my Thinkpad T61p with 1920 x 1200 that I have been using for 3 years.

I got it with the i7-2820QM processor and the Nvidia Quadro 2000M discrete graphics.  You can use the onboard Intel Sandy Bridge graphics alone, the NVIDIA alone, or you can have the computer switch between the 2 with a simple BIOS setting.  I leave mine on discrete all of the time.

The Lenovo W520 is very quiet and it's built like a tank.  It feels very solid and comfortable.  The keyboard is wonderful.  It has USB 3.0, a DisplayPort port, an eSATA port, Firewire, a fingerprint scanner, HD camera, and a screen color calibrator too.  It has a lot of other features that I did not mention in this post, but if you are looking for THE laptop, the W520 pretty much blows everything else away, including the MBP.

It's an AWESOME computer.

I'm 55 years old and it's not hard to read the screen.  And the screen has a nice MATTE finish, not that thick shiny type of monitor that you spend 75% of your time looking at yourself in.

I was considering the Lenovo over the HP because of the 1600x900 resolution screen, but then HP announced this EliteBook 8560w coming in May 2011:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/321957-321957-64295-3740645-4307559-5071171.html

It looks like I could outfit it the same as the Lenovo, and it, too, is supposed to be built like a tank.

So whichever I choose, it now comes down to whether 1920x1080 is too small on a 15.6" display, and what I gain or lose by going with a 1600x900 display (other than saving some $$ - which is not the criterion for me; I'll pay for the higher resolution if I determine that's the screen I want). It will allow me to open more windows at once in Logos than 1600x900 -> 44% greater # of pixels! That's a HUGE difference, IMO (and I'd get a 17.3" if it weren't too big for commuting and taking to church).

You apparently have no problem with 1920x1080. I have 59-year-old eyes, but am quite nearsighted. Geeked Maybe I'll go to an Apple store and see their 1680x1050 display. I don't know anywhere I can go to see a 1920x1080 15.6" display - all the stores carry is the 1366x768, though I might be able to find 1600x900 if I look around enough.

Posts 71
Paul Buckhiester | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 18 2011 9:33 AM

One thing I forgot to metntion about the Dell XPS 15 is the fantastic sound. For small groups one can show videos on the laptop without added speakers.

Posts 2653
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 18 2011 10:46 AM

Steve Clevenger:
MBPro are beautiful machines, but how do you justify the MORE than twice the price of a comparable PC?

Show me a "comparable" PC that is half the price. It's more than just specs. Sure their may be a PC that has a quad core i7 sandy bridge and a great video card and a fast hard drive and 4 GB of memory. But will the display and keyboard be as good? Doubt it. Haven't seen very many at 700 bucks with as high a res screen with a great backlit keyboard. And there is not a pc laptop around with as good a touch pad as the MacBook touch pad. The case has to be a solid aluminum case to be as good. And Thunderbold ports are not important now, but in a year they will be. I have one. NO PCs do. Finally, find me one without all the garbage preloaded like four different security programs and games that I will never play and links to NY Times and eBay.

The out of the box experience of an Apple computer is excellent. I didn't get it until I tried it. Too many people look at the spec list and say comparable. But it is not accurate. The only problem with Mac right now is I have to get Windows on it to run Logos well.

Posts 2653
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 18 2011 10:49 AM

Eric Weiss:

So are you running Logos as a Mac or in Windows on your MacBook Pro? And what is your MBP model and configuration and price?

I run the Mac version most of the time. But I'm in the process of turning my MacBook Air into a Windows machine with boot camp and will run it with Windows mostly.

Posts 71
Paul Buckhiester | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 18 2011 11:03 AM

HD is 7200. Text size is fine and adjustable.

Posts 274
Mike W | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 18 2011 11:51 AM

MikeM:
You can use the onboard Intel Sandy Bridge graphics alone, the NVIDIA alone, or you can have the computer switch between the 2 with a simple BIOS setting. I leave mine on discrete all of the time.

Have you compared Logos running on the discrete graphics compared to the Nvidia Graphics? I use a four year old Thinkpad T60P(you can't beat the keyboard on these and the trackpoint is great for touch typists). Logos works great on this laptop except when I use a large set of linked resources (I really wish Logos had asynchronous linking). Reviews benchmarks show the HD 3000 graphics as substantially faster than the FireGl card in my current laptop and I am interested in how well this works with Logos. Logos and light video work are what I use a laptop for (At 54 I really have no interest in current computer games) and I'm thinking about sticking with integrated graphics for my next Thinkpad.

Thanks

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 18 2011 12:01 PM

Eric Weiss:
You apparently have no problem with 1920x1080. I have 59-year-old eyes, but am quite nearsighted. Geeked Maybe I'll go to an Apple store and see their 1680x1050 display. I don't know anywhere I can go to see a 1920x1080 15.6" display - all the stores carry is the 1366x768, though I might be able to find 1600x900 if I look around enough.

Nearsighted option: prescription single vision eyeglasses for computer use (not good for driving since distance objects blurry).

Microcenter => http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/index.html and Fry's Electonics => http://www.frys.com/ac/storelocator/index.jsp may have notebook computers on display with higher resolution.  Another store possibility is Tiger Direct's CompUSA => http://www.compusa.com/retailstores/compusaStores/index.asp

http://www.notebookcheck.net/ has many news articles plus benchmark comparisons.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 844
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 18 2011 12:18 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Eric Weiss:

Nearsighted option: prescription single vision eyeglasses for computer use (not good for driving since distance objects blurry).

Microcenter => http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/index.html and Fry's Electonics => http://www.frys.com/ac/storelocator/index.jsp may have notebook computers on display with higher resolution.  Another store possibility is Tiger Direct's CompUSA => http://www.compusa.com/retailstores/compusaStores/index.asp

http://www.notebookcheck.net/ has many news articles plus benchmark comparisons.

Keep Smiling Smile

Thanks! Everyone is being so helpful. I have no-line bifocals and it hasn't been too much of a problem working with either my 24" 16:10 monitor at home or my 17" 4:3 monitor at work.

I'll definitely visit Microcenter and Frys and TigerDirect some weekend since we have all three around here.

Posts 235
Steve Clevenger | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 18 2011 12:29 PM

>>The only problem with Mac right now is I have to get Windows on it to run Logos well.

Besides the price this alone is a big problem for me. My primary use of a computer  is sermon work and using Logos4.  I plan on purchasing a new laptop this year.

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 18 2011 2:22 PM

Eric Weiss:

I was considering the Lenovo over the HP because of the 1600x900 resolution screen, but then HP announced this EliteBook 8560w coming in May 2011:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/321957-321957-64295-3740645-4307559-5071171.html

It looks like I could outfit it the same as the Lenovo, and it, too, is supposed to be built like a tank.

So whichever I choose, it now comes down to whether 1920x1080 is too small on a 15.6" display, and what I gain or lose by going with a 1600x900 display (other than saving some $ - which is not the criterion for me; I'll pay for the higher resolution if I determine that's the screen I want). It will allow me to open more windows at once in Logos than 1600x900 -> 44% greater # of pixels! That's a HUGE difference, IMO (and I'd get a 17.3" if it weren't too big for commuting and taking to church).

When I bought the Lenovo, I purchased a 3 year full coverage warranty.  With my Lenovo T61p, I had to use that same warranty a couple of times and the warranty service with Lenovo is a very great experience.  You call them or report your problem online and the very next day a very well built shipping package with prepaid shipping info arrives at your door.  You fill out a page of paperwork (very simple), you can pull your HDD to keep the data in your hands, and you drop the laptop off at UPS or at a UPS station like Office Depot.  2 or 3 days later the laptop arrives back at your place all fixed up.  The BIOS is always reflashed to the latest if you had not already done that and it's all nice and clean.  Lenovo warranty service is absolutely amazing and a good experience.

HP, on the other hand, is a brand that I refuse to purchase after I owned one of their laptop models and they refused to replace the hard drive that had failed.  They kept insisting that the hard drive did not come with the unit even though I took a photo of the label on the HDD that clearly stated that it was an HP part.  I bought the machine new and sealed at Office Depot and the HDD had never been swapped out.  They went so far as to accuse me of trying to perpetuate fraud against them.  This raised my righteous indignation to a new level and since then HP is a non-entity in my home.  Your mileage may vary, but they will never get another dime from me.

The Lenovo W520 looks great with the fonts unscaled, but you can scale them to a higher size if you care to and it still looks great. 

Posts 47
Jeffrey S Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 18 2011 3:22 PM

Personally, I love resolution no matter what, especially for Logos.  I mostly now use a Sony Vaio-Z with a 13" (!) 1920x1080 screen.  (Those Sony's are pretty good with their typical 1600x900 as well, after all it's only 13", but are also expensive).  On the other hand, I also have Logos running on an iMac 27" within Parallels/Windows7 and that runs awesome.  I still have an old Lenovo T61p that I used when Logos4 first came out, and I got it out a couple of days ago (to get some old tax documents off it), but it really crawls compared to the newer machines.  Nevertheless, the Lenovo screen is completely amazing to read, and the keyboard is great.  It was the last of a long line of IBM notebooks I had that were all great.  The HP machine will probably be pretty good too.   I had a top-of-the-line "Envy" in late 2009 -- 15", full HD screen, Quad Core-I7 -- and that version of it was just too heavy, so I returned it went to the Sony (which really is easy to carry around).

I also have a 17" MBP that I use for Music stuff (also with non-glare screen), and they are amazing machines.  But for now I'd still run Windows even on the Mac to use the Windows version of Logos.

I definitely like resolution.  I also have a good optometrist...

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2011 2:51 AM

Steve Clevenger:

>>The only problem with Mac right now is I have to get Windows on it to run Logos well.

Besides the price this alone is a big problem for me. My primary use of a computer  is sermon work and using Logos4.  I plan on purchasing a new laptop this year.

Sometimes Dell Outlet has good hardware deals (refurbished are "used" for less than 2 weeks).

For example, 20 % off coupon (on twitter) reduces price for 2nd Generation Quad Core i7 laptop to $ 767.20 (plus tax), looks promising for Logos 4 use:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-XPS-15-Notebook-i5-2410M-GT-540M.51186.0.html has a review that includes screen shot of "extra" software.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2011 4:20 AM

I should probably point out that I returned the Lenovo W520 machine that I had just purchased and am now getting a 17" MacBook Pro.  The W520 was nice, supported more drives and twice as much ram, and could boot from a miniature mSATA card, but I decided to go MacBook Pro instead.

It's a long story...Surprise

Posts 844
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2011 5:06 AM

777:

I should probably point out that I returned the Lenovo W520 machine that I had just purchased and am now getting a 17" MacBook Pro.  The W520 was nice, supported more drives and twice as much ram, and could boot from a miniature mSATA card, but I decided to go MacBook Pro instead.

It's a long story...Surprise

I like long stories. Since a 15" MacBook Pro is still a possibility for me (though an unlikely one), versus the Lenovo or the upcoming HP 8560w, I'd like to hear your reasons, if you would share them. Also, what does booting from a miniature mSATA card accomplish and how does one do this? (My technology skills have been pretty much dormant for 10 years, so I'm woefully uninformed on configurations, setups, etc.).

Posts 7
layla mccool | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2011 5:11 AM

All the configurations that you want is really good but ya laptop gonna little bit expensive cause of that. i will try to find best available brands on good rates.

good luck

Page 2 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS