anyone else running l4 on a tablet pc?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 556
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 8 2011 9:28 PM

I have had various tablets for years running l3 and now the last two using l4 (thinkpad x61tablet, and now an Asus slate - http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=QhWKR7Fmv4jDLbBY)

I really love the idea of having my "bible" with me all the time.

my challenge is that the though I can control the Windows interface in windows somewhat, those options (example resizing scroll bars) are not available in L4.  I am looking for suggestions and help with this from other tablet users of l4.

any 3rd party apps? (I have made a suggestion to logos about this in that forum already).

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 8 2011 9:42 PM

I use a netbook with touchscreen. In church, the screen is on my lap to avoid not being too intrusive. I set the L4 windows to the columnar reading view but 1 column. Effectively instead of a scrollbar, it presents back/forward arrows which work fine for my fingers. Windows automatically pops the l4 screen short to accomodate a screen keyboard.

Posts 8
DHan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2011 6:28 AM

My problem is that the size of the Asus is only 64G.  Anyway to have some book deleted from the hard drive or have the books in a removal drive?

Posts 3663
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2011 6:40 AM

I run L4 on both a HP tm2 and a Gigabyte T1024 (netbook) - tablets.  

Other than the standards (e.g. OneNote), I have do not have any 3rd party software for L4.  There were some tools that someone developed for L3 - I have seen nothing being developed for L4.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 556
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2011 12:28 PM

Denise Barnhart:

I use a netbook with touchscreen. In church, the screen is on my lap to avoid not being too intrusive. I set the L4 windows to the columnar reading view but 1 column. Effectively instead of a scrollbar, it presents back/forward arrows which work fine for my fingers. Windows automatically pops the l4 screen short to accomodate a screen keyboard.

thank you, this is a great workaround, and helps a lot!!

Posts 556
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2011 12:34 PM

David Han:

My problem is that the size of the Asus is only 64G.  Anyway to have some book deleted from the hard drive or have the books in a removal drive?

true, that is a "limitation".  however, not for me as this is specifically what I bought it for.  my library resources on my desktop is about 32 gig with media files, and i have about 5000 or so, as reported by l4 in the library browser.  so i was prepared for that.  when I installed l4 from scratch, though, only about 17 gig came down.  i assume the media files arent' there (not supported yet).

I hope that when L4 supports all of my Logos resources and media's, i will be able to put them on a SD card as well.

Posts 1
Terry Stump | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2011 8:58 PM

I set the L4 windows to the columnar reading view but 1 column. Effectively instead of a scrollbar, it presents back/forward arrows which work fine for my fingers. Windows automatically pops the l4 screen short to accomodate a screen keyboard.

how do you do this? settings or just the f11  reading screen?

I got the slate also. hopefully someone (microsoft,etc...) will work on the touch interface and get it to the  useability standards of apple. it would be nice if logos would build the touch interface into l4 running in windows. they proved it could be done with the ios app.

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2011 9:03 PM

Each opened resource has the settings box in the upper left; set columns to '1'. Since I keep a lot of resources open, I have two matching layouts; one with the columns = 1 for each resource, and the other with columns = 0 (and scrollbars).  My apologies for not being too clear.

Posts 556
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 10 2011 4:35 AM

Terry Stump:

...I got the slate also. hopefully someone (microsoft,etc...) will work on the touch interface and get it to the  useability standards of apple. it would be nice if logos would build the touch interface into l4 running in windows. they proved it could be done with the ios app.

apple?  when did apple make a tablet PC?  i must have missed the memo. (yes, I have an ipad and iphone, though the ipad is soon to be gone)

Posts 1202
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 16 2011 7:49 AM

I use the HP tm2t i5; not too laggy, wish I'd bought 2 spare batteries so I could run all day through conf/with OneNote, a bit heavy for long reads.

someday I hope to swap out the hard drive for a big ssd.

I wish I had the option the asus does of wireless projection....and wish there was a common std for that; I'd really use tjat a lot when teaching/showing off L4.

Posts 57
Duncan Campbell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 19 2011 12:35 PM

Terry,

Thanks so much for the information on setting the reading view with 1 column.

This has made it so much easier to navigate.

Posts 25
Greg Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 22 2011 10:57 AM

I too am running Logos 4 on my ASUS Slate.  I got the 65 gig HD and have about 9.5 gig open, with full Office 2010 professional, and quite about 10 gig of music.  My Slate has become my primary computer.  I'm sure I can create more HD space by getting rid of some of the bloatware, but overall I'm very happy with it as is, and will look at the SD options at some point.

Brent, as to your question, I just posted last night on the suggestions page that the developers really should look into a touch interface that allows scrolling without using the scroll bar.  If that's not an option, resizing the scroll bar and buttons would be a plus, not only for tablet users, but also for those using a mouse, IMHO, as even on my old laptop I found the scrolling function to be difficult to use because of the button size. 

I appreciate the other tip about setting up single column viewing, I'll have to try that. 

Overall, BIG thumbs up for the Slate!  I like being able to have Logos open, along with OneNote, in church on Sunday, instead of trying to balance a Bible and a steno pad on my lap.  I'd highly recommend to anyone considering a laptop who needs portability and serious computing power.

Posts 556
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 22 2011 11:43 AM

Greg Walker:

I too am running Logos 4 on my ASUS Slate.  ..

Yes, an awesome system, for about the same price as a higher end ipad.  but a real, full computer.  I appreciate having the l4 app on my iphone and when I had an ipad.  but it was "too thin".  don't get be wrong, I really like it for the iphone use.  but when on teh ipad, i guess I expect more from the app when having a "full screen".  just my opinion and perception.

but back to the eee slate...  my l4 (and legacy l3) resources are about 33 gig or so.  just too much to back up to a 32 gig thumb drive.  not counting recently received the MPS camp logos dvd's which is about 10 gig, installed.

So, I have an additional 64g SD card.  works great for storing data and things like the MPS camp logos, but it is too slow to try to run L4 resources from.  it DOES work, but too slow for my taste.  So I did remove the bloatware and stuff I will never use.  and still have about 10g free - wooohoo!!

I use it to teach and preach from exclusively now.  L$ runs flawlessly, but as we both mentioned, needs a touch interface, or at least sizable scroll-bars the way Windows itself allows.

Posts 3663
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 22 2011 5:00 PM

If you are running a Tablet PC, then complete this survey for LOGOS:

http://www.logos.com/usersurvey

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS