Word Biblical Commentary series incomplete?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 54
(na) | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 10 2011 6:52 AM

I ordered this assuming it was the whole set... I've seen that there's actually a few "numbers" missing. Are these missing numbers included or am I expected to pay extra for them? If I am, I'll just be getting a refund... I had no idea I was paying for an incomplete set.

Posts 1828
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 10 2011 7:05 AM

Looking at the product description page I see that volumes 8, 37 and 39 are not listed. I don't own the resource so I can't confirm.

Posts 54
(na) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 10 2011 7:10 AM

It was bought now as I have as assignment to do on Job, and only the first two volumes are included. Kinda need the last one!

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 10 2011 7:41 AM

Where a commentary requires a considerable amount of work per volume, it's unusual for all the Bible books to be accounted for. WBC is unusual, being comparatively affordable (often on sale), having most books, and a lot of depth. But, yes, a few books are still missing. Right now Judges is on its way.

And yes, each added volume requires an additional contribution for its authorship. But I wouldn't be so quick to cancel, unless you're strapped for money (I assume you're buying on sale). Resources like WBC and Anchor Yale Dictionary have some the best affordable scholarship (bouncing around a little on theology periodically). If you want to pursue your frustration, a company whose name starts with an 'L' might be a good choice (and their marketing materials). Your question is not the first.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 509
Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 10 2011 7:43 AM

Thomas Yassine Bourega:
I ordered this assuming it was the whole set... I've seen that there's actually a few "numbers" missing. Are these missing numbers included or am I expected to pay extra for them? If I am, I'll just be getting a refund... I had no idea I was paying for an incomplete set.

Thomas,

They can only sell the volumes that have been published so far. A commentary set like this takes a decade or two to publish, and that's fairly standard. You will be expected to buy the new volumes after they are released, just as you would if you were buying the print volumes.

Here is the publisher's release schedule for the series: http://www.nelsonministryservices.com/nms/dept.asp?dept_id=7007

Looks like there will be four more volumes released (Judges is now on Pre-pub) in the next few years before the set is complete, along with a number of revisions to older volumes.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 10 2011 8:00 AM

Thomas Yassine Bourega:

As others have said, this set is still in development. And yes, you paid for what you already got, when new volumes come out, we pay for them then. If you want a refund, just call Logos during their business hours (or email them whenever), and they'll give you what you want. IMHO, the WBC is still a bargain, and includes some of the best current scholarship out there -- even though it is still being completed. I'd encourage you to look at what you do have, and, seeing the value of the work, keep them. When new volumes come out, be sure to get in on the pre-pub price to save a lot of money.

Now for some unsolicited advice: Whenever you buy a commentary set, it's worth it to check which volumes are included, and more importantly, which ones aren't. This is especially true, if you are working on a particular Bible book, and even more so for contemporary sets that may still be in development. This can also be true for commentary sets done by an individual. Calvin's Commentaries, for example, do not include many, many books. The set is complete in that it includes all of Calvin's Commentaries, but incomplete in that Calvin didn't write a commentary for large portions of Scripture. (BTW, I love Calvin's Commentaries, except for the 'harmonies' which make them very difficult to use for those passages -- at least for me.)

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 54
(na) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 10 2011 8:06 AM

Denise Barnhart:

Where a commentary requires a considerable amount of work per volume, it's unusual for all the Bible books to be accounted for. WBC is unusual, being comparatively affordable (often on sale), having most books, and a lot of depth. But, yes, a few books are still missing. Right now Judges is on its way.

And yes, each added volume requires an additional contribution for its authorship. But I wouldn't be so quick to cancel, unless you're strapped for money (I assume you're buying on sale). Resources like WBC and Anchor Yale Dictionary have some the best affordable scholarship (bouncing around a little on theology periodically). If you want to pursue your frustration, a company whose name starts with an 'L' might be a good choice (and their marketing materials). Your question is not the first.

I'm extremely strapped for cash! Since I'm a student, I'll still have the student discount, which is the same price anyway. I had no idea that it wasn't the complete set, and the only indication that there is on the page is that there are a few numbers missing... the fact that it isn't explicitly described as incomplete isn't very helpful.

While I appreciate that the set is still worthwhile, I live as a student in a Theological College, one floor above one of the biggest theological libraries in the country. Thus, I'm in a position where it would be wiser to wait until they're the entire set, or even whenever the revisions are submitted. I can't just paying $500 for an incomplete set when I'd have to pay $160 to complete the set... and then watch all the new revisions come out.

I appreciate the help, however my resolve remains unchanged.

Posts 3808
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 10 2011 8:45 AM

Unless something has changed in the digital marketplace, you have 30 days to return any product.  

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS