Install Logos 4 Mac or skip it?

Page 3 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 48 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 33
John Featherstone | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2011 2:31 PM

I've not dipped my toes into the 64 bit experience. I guess I can boot my mac into that using a keyboard command on startup, and then it's application specific. Problem is exporting it to a word processing document from Logos (which I assume is 64 bit compatible) if Word 2008 or Pages 2009 aren't 64 bit compatible.

Also are there 4 gig cards made for my MacBook Pro core duo? And is the early 2008 machine able to address that much ram? I'd be willing to do that on that laptop if I could.  Online it says that my early 2008 will only use up to 4 gigs of ram, and that's what I have on it. The geeks online say that it won't address more than 4. Says I need the late 2008 unibody model for up to 6 gigs of ram.

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2011 4:45 PM

John Featherstone:
I do have 3 core-duo machines dating from early 2008- late 2009 with the recommended ram upgrades on those that can be upgraded <snip>  I've mostly noted that most users with heavy duty newer hardware seem the most vocal about their positive experience, while there seem to be more of us with older machines that are struggling.

My desktop is an early 2007 2 x 2.66GHz dual-core, and it runs L4 Mac acceptably well, but my expectations of speed may be less than yours.

John Featherstone:
As I added today, when I modify my usage habits, and shut everything else off, and start cold with nothing else running, then Logos 4 will run better for me. But my habits have been to keep a lot of other windows and applications running in the background, and that doesn't seem to work well for me.

My layouts can have up to a dozen linked panels (or panes or whatever they are called), along with MS Word, Safari, and perhaps a database of two in another Space. However, I do have 11GB of RAM. The recommended RAM upgrades may not be enough to run multiple applications at once.

John Featherstone:
Your point is good, I was probably too broad in my conclusions.

I wish I knew why the user experiences with L4 Mac covered such a wide range, even for people with very similar installations. I believe the same situation exists with L4 Win, but with less spread.

Posts 29346
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2011 6:58 PM

Henry Gurley:

Thanks Justin, Otto and others for information on 32 and 64 bit.  I don't have 10.6 yet...looks like that is my next purchase, (or should I wait for Lion 10.7?)

Thanks again and be blessed.

Henry

Henry - 

First, I would wait until Lion (10.7). It is so close to release, you might as well.

Second, unless you have two machines with Logos, or are adventurous, I would wait to see what Lion might do to Logos. Hopefully the more adventurous will be able to give everyone else a good feel for what might happen.

Justin

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 219
Dennis Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 4:30 AM

I believe the average user today probably has a Core2 machine of some type with anywhere from 2 to 4 gigs of Ram. That is who the software developer for a mass market should be developing for not the minority who can afford the latest and greatest in computing technology.

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 5:27 AM

Today's latest and greatest is tomorrow's average machine.

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 242
Lankford Oxendine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 9:54 AM

David Knoll:

It is true though that you cannot rely on it to search the Hebrew, Aramaic and sometimes also the Greek resources. 

Can someone explain exactly what this means and why the comment was made?  What problems does Logos have with searching? Thanks!

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 12:40 PM

Lankford Oxendine:

David Knoll:

It is true though that you cannot rely on it to search the Hebrew, Aramaic and sometimes also the Greek resources. 

Can someone explain exactly what this means and why the comment was made?  What problems does Logos have with searching? Thanks!

I believe you will need David Knoll to clarify his meaning, for I have not heard that criticism before.

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 3:12 PM

Lankford Oxendine:

Try searching for the verb כתב in the Qumran Sectarian Manuscripts.

Try searching for the form כְּזֹאת (exact vocalization) in any Hebrew Bible.

Try searching for all instances of  an infinitive absolute followed by a finite verb of the same root (all roots).

Try searching for a Hebrew phrase likeבכל נפשך ובכל מאדך

Try searching for the lemma βασιλεἰα in the Greek Pseudepigrapha. You get results from 2 Baruch. Is the lemma really there? Now switch to Analysis View. See any references?

Try searching the verb ܥܒܕ in the Peal stem 3rd masculine imperfect. In Mac when you type the @ and choose a verb the window that opens doesn't fit the screen so you cannot start the search. Even if you manage to drag the whole thing to the left you find out that your morphological codes were not entered. Syriac text results in Mac are illegible.

And I could go on and on and on...

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2011 12:40 PM

Justin Mayo:

Henry - 

First, I would wait until Lion (10.7). It is so close to release, you might as well.

The exception would be if you need Rosetta for some older program. Lion won't include Rosetta.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 3 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS