John Calvin

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 10
Richard James | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 10 2011 8:10 AM

What sources for doing theology did John Calvin use to construct the Institutes of the Christian Religion? ...and is there a brief resource that identifies John Calvin’s sources for doing theology?

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2011 8:50 AM

Richard James:

What sources for doing theology did John Calvin use to construct the Institutes of the Christian Religion? ...and is there a brief resource that identifies John Calvin’s sources for doing theology?

There's probably something here that discusses that question (though it's not "a brief resource"): http://www.logos.com/product/5155/john-calvin-biography-collection. You might also consider a biography of Calvin, or reading an article on him in a church history resource or dictionary/encyclopedia such as this one from The Encyclopedia of Christianity.

As a Calvinist, and having studied him a bit in Church History as well as theology, we know that Calvin was heavily influenced by some of his contemporaries (both positively and negatively), but his greatest theological influence outside the Bible itself probably came from Augustine. He was also widely read in at least some other early church fathers and quotes them frequently. Calvin's genius, though, was in his expository method. He was a champion of exegesis and interacting directly with the original texts. His observations are still discussed in contemporary commentaries, as are his keen insights. And even those who disagree with him on his observations and/or conclusions, rarely (if ever) disparage his work.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1814
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2011 9:09 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
but his greatest theological influence outside the Bible itself probably came from Augustine

Good point Richard, I was dying to respond to this post.  But was waiting for someone more qualified. Big Smile

Reading his Insitutes, you see that calvin cited many different works, was in discusiones with many different individuals, but most often cited and was in agreement with Augustine. Yes

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2011 9:13 AM

External resources: 

Logos resources:

Calvin and the Reformation : Four Studies  $29.95
         CHAPTER      I.—      Calvin’s Doctrine of Scripture
         CHAPTER      II.—      Calvin and the Authority of Scripture
         CHAPTER      III.—      Calvin on the Sovereignty of God

Calvin on Scripture and Divine Sovereignty, by John Murray only available in the Calvin and the History of Calvinism Collection (31 vols.)

1.     CALVIN: EPIGONE OR CREATOR?   By ÉMILE DOUMERGUE, Dean of the Free Theological Faculty of Montauban
  2.     THE REFORMATION AND NATURAL LAW   By AUGUST LANG, Lic.Theol., Privat-Dozent in the University of Halle-Wittenberg
  3.     CALVIN AND COMMON GRACE   By HERMAN BAVINCK, D.D., Professor of Theology in the Free University of Amsterdam
  4.     CALVIN’S DOCTRINE OF THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD   By BENJAMIN B. WARFIELD, D.D., LL.D., Charles Hodge Professor of Didactic and Polemic Theology in Princeton Seminary

If you want to swim in an Olympic size pool of Calvin seriously consider this: Calvin 500 Collection (108 vols.)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1814
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2011 9:48 AM

Matthew C Jones:
If you want to swim in an Olympic size pool of Calvin seriously consider this: Calvin 500 Collection (108 vols.)

But if you want to swim cheaper, use this LOGOS link http://www.logos.com/calvin500deal 

Posts 19576
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2011 12:09 PM

Richard James:

John T. McNeill's edition of Calvin's Institutes (Westminster John Knox Press) has an excellent Author and Source Index at the back (use the Search Inside feature on Amazon.com and search for index, go to the instance that's on page 1592 and page through from there): http://amzn.com/0664220282

I wish Logos would bring out this edition and include all the indexes with hyperlinks to the source material.

Posts 1814
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2011 12:43 PM

Rosie Perera:
I wish Logos would bring out this edition and include all the indexes with hyperlinks to the source material.

Lets see it we can get it put into Comunity Pricing" or "Pre Pub", or at lest "Personal Book" for Logos4 Big Smile

Posts 19576
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2011 1:12 PM

Tom Rach:

Rosie Perera:

Lets see it we can get it put into Comunity Pricing" or "Pre Pub", or at lest "Personal Book" for Logos4 Big Smile

Since it's still under copyright, Community Pricing would not be possible. They only use that option for public domain works. PBB would also not be legal to share with others for that same reason, though one could do the work to use it privately if one wanted to. My money would be on Pre-pub.

Posts 1814
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2011 5:06 PM

Rosie Perera:
My money would be on Pre-pub.

I don´t bet Wink 

However I will put my credit card down on the "table"  as soon as it is listed as a Pre-pub. Big Smile

Posts 19576
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2011 5:58 PM

Tom Rach:

Rosie Perera:
My money would be on Pre-pub.

I don´t bet Wink 

However I will put my credit card down on the "table"  as soon as it is listed as a Pre-pub. Big Smile

I don't bet either. I was totally making a play on words, which you picked up on. Smile

Posts 263
Steve Clevenger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2011 2:58 PM

Tom Rach:

Rosie Perera:

DittoYes

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2011 4:14 PM

Here's a cute and short video about a part of Calvin's life.

https://www.youtube.com/user/wearesparkhouse#p/u/2/7lt4zUbytC8

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1814
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2011 5:01 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

Here's a cute and short video about a part of Calvin's life.

https://www.youtube.com/user/wearesparkhouse#p/u/2/7lt4zUbytC8

Cute but not long enough Wink

Say you may find my PowerPoing on Calvino interesting, at least slide 27 Big Smile

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxob21icmVyZWZvcm1hZG98Z3g6NmQyZmRiYjIzYzIwYTlhOQ

Tried to liven up the get back to the fundamentals of the Reformation theme. Wink

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2011 6:10 PM

Tom Rach:

Matthew C Jones:

But if you want to swim cheaper, use this LOGOS link http://www.logos.com/calvin500deal 

I remember an old TV ad for a margarine which had the character compare both butter and their margarine and then proclaim (with a pseudo-French accent) "No différence."  Is it six or only half-a-dozen?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1814
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2011 6:57 PM

George Somsel:
I remember an old TV ad for a margarine which had the character compare both butter and their margarine and then proclaim (with a pseudo-French accent) "No différence." 

I also remember a similar Ad Hmm

George Somsel:
Is it six or only half-a-dozen?
Embarrassed

In this case it depends on which link you use. Surprise .

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2011 7:10 PM

gone.............................

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1814
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2011 7:32 PM

I Jumped on this link a few months ago.Big Smile

EDIT In Oct of 2010

I was repenting that I had not taken advatage of the pre pub for the collection. Crying

If I had it would have come out even 100 dollars lessBig Smile Embarrassed

While looking for the old prepub price (searching pages that are no longer viable) , I came across the link, and used it almost imediately. 

I was shocked that it went through.Confused

Got the entire set for the price of the comentaries. Yes

Posts 255
Pat Flanakin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2011 10:25 AM

Unless already mentioned here, I would imagine a good history of Christianity or Christian doctrine would provide some insight.  You should look up the Augustine/Pelagian debate as that provides a good historical basis for the Reformers having concluded what they did in answer to Roman Catholic doctrine.

Some Logos resources include:  New Dictionary of Theology, pp. 63, 347; Encyclopedia of Christianity, several references; Charles Hodge's Systematic Theology; History of the Christian Church (many references); Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers; Baker Exegetical Comm on the NT, Romans 5:15-19;  The Dictionary of Historical Theology; BibSac from Dallas Theological Seminary, Vol 100, V 100, N 397, p. 140; writings of J.I. Packer deals much on the subject

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2011 10:38 AM

Pat Flanakin:

Unless already mentioned here, I would imagine a good history of Christianity or Christian doctrine would provide some insight.  You should look up the Augustine/Pelagian debate as that provides a good historical basis for the Reformers having concluded what they did in answer to Roman Catholic doctrine.

You might also read Augustine

On Nature and Grace, Against Pelagius
Text 

and

On the Proceedings of Pelagius
Text

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 19576
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 22 2011 12:01 AM

Rosie Perera:

John T. McNeill's edition of Calvin's Institutes (Westminster John Knox Press) has an excellent Author and Source Index at the back (use the Search Inside feature on Amazon.com and search for index, go to the instance that's on page 1592 and page through from there): http://amzn.com/0664220282

Tom Rach:

I will put my credit card down on the "table"  as soon as it is listed as a Pre-pub. Big Smile

It's in pre-pub as of today!!  Yipeee!!

http://www.logos.com/product/16036/institutes-of-the-christian-religion

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS