Sermon File Addin

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 32 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 70
Andrew Hughes | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:13 PM

Am I missing something? Is there still a Sermon File Addin for L4? If so can someone point me to where I access it?

Thanks,

Andrew

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:16 PM

AndrewHughes:

Am I missing something? Is there still a Sermon File Addin for L4? If so can someone point me to where I access it?

Thanks,

Andrew

http://www.logos.com/4/missingfeatures

basically, the second quarter of next year.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:17 PM

AndrewHughes:

Thanks,

Andrew

The Sermon File addin is not yet in L4. There is a promise that it will be, but it will be a while. In the meantime L4 will read your sermon files. For now keep L3 and use it to add new sermons.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 70
Andrew Hughes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:17 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. That page is very helpful.

Thanks!

Posts 1841
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:33 PM

While Sermon FIle is not fully supported in Logos 4, the current version DOES read the Sermons and Illustrations created by the 3.0 versoin.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 7
Ryan Lenerz | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 26 2010 6:58 AM

Has there been any development with the sermon file addin in L4?

Posts 347
Mitch Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 26 2010 7:07 AM

Ryan Lenerz:

Has there been any development with the sermon file addin in L4?

Nothing yet as of the current (4.0C Beta 6) beta release.

Posts 196
John Eggen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 2:59 PM

I noticed the "What's Missing" page now says that Sermon File Addin is scheduled for 2011.  I have to say I am disappointed as a customer who paid for this and then paid handsomely to upgrade to L4 that it will be more than 1 year before I can use this portion of my software.  I sure better not get charged an upgrade fee for the functionality!

Posts 302
John Graves | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 3:01 PM

It is disappointing to me as well

Posts 36
Darren Middleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 5:02 PM

I have to say that given that a high proportion of preachers would be using Logos 4 - I can not understand why the Sermon file addin is such a low priority. To say I am disappointed is an understatement, it seems incongruous to me that it has been put back so many times. Come on Logos you need to get this working asap, not next year. I have come back and checked on this matter a dozen times since last year and tried to be patient,but I reckon the priorities are wrong.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 6:44 AM

Darren Middleton:

I have to say that given that a high proportion of preachers would be using Logos 4 - I can not understand why the Sermon file addin is such a low priority. To say I am disappointed is an understatement, it seems incongruous to me that it has been put back so many times. Come on Logos you need to get this working asap, not next year. I have come back and checked on this matter a dozen times since last year and tried to be patient,but I reckon the priorities are wrong.

The relationship between prioritization and having it finished is not a direct one. They are and have been working on it for quite some time. That said, not many used it, at least not as many as used other functions. So, in one sense it's more responsible to focus on those things that are used by more folks.

It also appears that the Sermon File Addin (SFA) and Personal Book Builder (PBB) have been pushed along together to a later date. Both were due this fall and have been pushed back to 2011. This suggests to me that the development for both is tied together -- at least in some ways -- which makes sense. We know that the PBB will have increased functionality, and that the books published this way will function just like other resources published by Logos and other publishers. Assuming that the protocols for writing SFA resources are using the same code (which is an assumption, but a reasonable one, I think), we should expect them to be released at about the same time.

I'm one of those preachers who used the SFA in Libronix (L3). I haven't done anything with it since migrating to L4, and have been patiently waiting for it to come out in L4.

If I really wanted to, I could still open L3 and use the SFA there as much as I wanted, and would be able to import the results into L4. I've chosen not to for lots of reasons (mostly, I'm waiting to see what capabilities the SFA in L4 will have, so I'll know how to deal with the formatting shortfalls in the SFA in L3).

Still, it's good to voice your concern and wishes, and I join you in wishing this were working already, or able to be tested soon.

Posts 80
garry Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 12:52 PM

HI,

I am also a dissappointed user as i require the pbb and sfa as soon as possible, can i clarify that if they are owned in logos 3 anything created can be used in logos 4 sermons and books ? If so can Logos not offer it for free or highly reduced price for a sweetner as it is taking so long to produce it for logos 4 ? 

Also i am hopeing it is taking so long because its going to be fantastic from the word go?  Also is it going to be  included in base pakages and free for those who purchased or upgraded to a base package ?

Also if we purechased it now for version 3 and if its going to be charged for version 4 can we have the version 3 costs for the pakage deleted from the cost of version 4.

I am being cheaky i know but i really want to start using the software to its full capacity and get into a rythum with it.

Here's Hopeing !

Garry

Bro Garry

Christadelphian

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 1:24 PM

garry Hill:
I am also a dissappointed user as i require the pbb and sfa as soon as possible, can i clarify that if they are owned in logos 3 anything created can be used in logos 4 sermons and books ? If so can Logos not offer it for free or highly reduced price for a sweetner as it is taking so long to produce it for logos 4 ? 

Sermons and Illustrations created with the SFA can be used in L4. User generated PBB's cannot (yet). Both were offered in Libronix for a fee (the PBB has had a subscription model for its fees). Neither were included in any base package, nor are they listed in an L4 base package. We don't yet know what will happen with L4, though there's no reason to assume it will be any different.

garry Hill:
Also if we purechased it now for version 3 and if its going to be charged for version 4 can we have the version 3 costs for the pakage deleted from the cost of version 4.

I would assume the answer to this would be 'yes' as that has been Logos' unwavering policy in the past. But since there will be changes to the PBB, it's possible that there will be a different cost structure to the PBB program as well. We haven't heard specifics on this yet.

Posts 80
garry Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 1:42 AM

Hi,

Would it be worth me buying sermon file addin and personal book builder?  e.g. does PBB contain all of the Sermon file add in features?

Also is it worth me buying them now as i really need to do something about my collection of sermons and non copyrited resources ?

What do the MVP's and Logos think is the best to do? As i want to improve my study abilIty but don't wan't to waste money and i have noticed that the date has been pushed back to 2011.  I have a lot of material and also do not want to waste time using version's for 3 and then find 4 is out and have to do some or all of the work again.

Also i want to be able to see the resources in L4, as stated by Richard sermon files will be available for version 4. But PBB files will not.  If thats just a case of a PBB key not being available to view these files, Shurely Logos can produce one as a quick update, which would make a lot of logos users happy and would help us with our dissappointment in having now to wait till 2011 at the earlest now ?

Any views MVP's / Logos !

Thanks for any responses

garry

Bro Garry

Christadelphian

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 6:53 AM

garry Hill:
Would it be worth me buying sermon file addin and personal book builder?  e.g. does PBB contain all of the Sermon file add in features?
Nobody can answer this.  I believe both products are still on the drawing board at the moment, thus even their full feature sets are not determined.  Where will the overlap be is anyone's guess.

garry Hill:
Also is it worth me buying them now as i really need to do something about my collection of sermons and non copyrited resources ?
That might best be answered by Logos Customer service, Though they also do not know what is happening with L4's version of the tools.  I'm not altogether certain Bob knows yet.  <smile>

garry Hill:
What do the MVP's and Logos think is the best to do?
This MVP says - wait if you can.    I have the sermon file Addin, never had the PBB maker (But had a key to read) - at the moment I am not using the sermon file addin at all (I haven't installed L3 on my laptop).  I realize you have a lot of material, but again we're up against sheer gueswork as to what comparison there will be between L3 and L4 versions of these tools. 

All that we do know is that they are coming to L4 and they are apparently tied together in some way.  At one point (in early beta?) there was an indication that the L3 versions of PBB would be at least readable in L4 but that was conjecture as I recall.

garry Hill:
If thats just a case of a PBB key not being available to view these files, Shurely Logos can produce one as a quick update, which would make a lot of logos users happy and would help us with our dissappointment in having now to wait till 2011 at the earlest now ?
  I suspect it is much more complicated than rendering a license key.  In fact - if you had /have a license for PBB in L3, you DO have it in L4.  I think it's the backend programming which needs to be done to use the key.

Summary: wait if you can.  Jump if you can't.  Not much help I'm afraid.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1
Doug Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 7:50 AM

I know some of the discussion above has been stated that since Sermon File Addin is not used as much as other features then it is not getting as much priority. That is a good observation; however, Sermon File Addin was a product that you had to pay individually for. Therefore, it would seem that since it currently does not work in L4, it is a major problem. I would have thought that since Logos charged independently for this product it would have been seen as a much higher priority. I am very disappointed and due to its lack of attention will make me very cautious of purchasing any more add-in software that are not books or resources. 

If you have to pay separately for it, then to me it is a separate product.

Thanks,
Doug

Posts 36
Darren Middleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 4:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. Personally, I am holding off waiting for sermon file addin for L4 because I do not use L3 any more, but it is frustrating. Doug's point is an important one, we all paid for sermon file addin on L3 and to the extent L4 has been released without the ability to use products that we paid for is to my mind disappointing.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 8:05 PM

I understand what you're saying Doug and Darren.  I paid for SFL addin too.  However, remember that I (we) paid for version 3's sermon file, and it still works.  I'm eager to have it in version four as well. 

Bob has explained this in the past this way:  early on they had to make a decision.  Do we (A) code and wait and code and wait until version 4 is 100% feature complete?  OR  (B)  Release L4 with all of the most used features (per user reporting) working, and have a comprehensive plan to build the rest in while still supporting L3?

Wise or unwise (I think wise) they chose (B).  They will release the L4 version of these tools in a way that meshes very very well with the rest of the program.   In the interim L3's SFL still works.

If they had chosen (A) they'd still be coding away at L4 and most of us would be clamoring for news of the future of Logos. 

I'm ready and rarin' to get my Sermon Files into Logos 4 as you are.  More so perhaps(!?).  I even wrote a custom filter for OpenOffice to save my sermons directly into "ready to compile" sermon file format for L3. 

We'll get it, and like you I say, the sooner the better.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 80
garry Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 2:07 AM

Richard said that the sermon files and illustrations can be seen and used in L4 but the pbb files can not.  You seem to be saying the sermon files can not be seen in L4 can you or someone from LOGOS clarify this as i wish to buy the sermon file add in if the files can be seen and used in L4 and that they just need to be created in L3.

Bro Garry

Christadelphian

Posts 33231
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 2:15 AM

L4 reading: Sermons YES

PBB NO

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS