Bible Places Performance

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 496
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 17 2011 9:47 PM

It seems that in many cases when I enter a value for Bible Places, the software starts with a high level view of the Middle/East, Asia and Arabian Desert.

It then zooms down through succesive phases and finally to the detail that the query settled on.

This process can take up to a minute, and then the icons below for related material takes another 30-45 seconds.

I have a fast computer, 8 gig Ram etc.

Is there a performance optimization that could be looked into?

In Google Earth for example things zoom in/out very quickly with much more detail to handle.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 18 2011 7:02 AM

Not to take away from your frustration, but I'd love for my L4 (PC-side) to end up with the detail. Instead I always have to go the extra step with 'Find'. I hope you're on a beta or a new version.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 18 2011 7:04 AM

I'll take that back! I just tried it. Happily 'eat my words'.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 496
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 18 2011 5:00 PM

Any response from tech support forthcoming on this ?

Posts 5911
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2011 1:15 AM

Hi Larry

When I open the 'Biblical Places' panel and type in 'Rome' after a few moment a row of maps appears along the bottom of the panel and and the first one fills the top part of the panel. No zooming or anything like it.

I guess you must be doing something different - please describe what you are doing to get this response.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 30531
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2011 4:47 AM

Larry -

Can you give us an example of what you entered as a "value for Bible Places?" Also, can you give us a screen shot?

Justin

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 496
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2011 9:42 PM

Mike and Justin, will do the next time I create the situation -

Posts 496
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 22 2011 10:13 AM

After further experimentation, I've concluded that the Biblical People Function behaves differently depending on what is cached in memory at the time.

When I type in Gibeon the first time it starts with a large scale map, then frames down perhaps 4-6 zoom in levels before settling in on the final detail. This takes 15-20 seconds. Then it starts to populate the thumbnail bar below, another 20 seconds. Finally it is ready.

Posts 10889
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 22 2011 12:52 PM

Larry Good:
When I type in Gibeon the first time it starts with a large scale map, then frames down perhaps 4-6 zoom in levels before settling in on the final detail.

Mine worked that way also. However,

Larry Good:
his takes 15-20 seconds. Then it starts to populate the thumbnail bar below, another 20 seconds. Finally it is ready.

The entire operation took about 15 seconds with the thumbnails appearing after the first zoom step. Zooming in and out with the scroll wheel was reasonably smooth.

I am running L4M 4.3 Beta 5 under OS 10.5.8 on a 4+ year old Mac Pro, but I do have 11Gb or RAM.

Posts 496
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 22 2011 1:51 PM

It does run faster with more hardware. I have a "small" system" and  "big system" with the expected

performance improvements.

My original question directed at tech support

is there a performance optimization that could be looked into? In Google Earth for example things zoom in/out very quickly with much more detail to handle. That would include my "small system"

Posts 1432
Tonya J Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 23 2011 3:34 PM

It seems there is some additional animation at the opening of the map you referenced (along with some others) which causes it to load more slowly.  I have reported the issue to Development for investigation.

Posts 496
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 23 2011 11:04 PM

Thanks - I was beginning to think I was seeing things -- :)

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS