Anyone from Valdese, NC or a member of a Waldensian Presbyterian Church or otherwise familiar with them?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 28950
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 20 2011 8:36 PM

I'm trying to track down information about this group on the assumption that it is more than a single congregation? I've found plenty on the Waldensian Methodists.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 20
Robert Holmes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 20 2011 9:19 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldensians

Posts 98
Tim Hogan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2011 3:28 AM

Funny I worked for Waldensian Bakeries for 7 years based out of Valdese. They were a tight group at the time with a private owner. It was a shame that when I got saved years after my work days with that company I learned about them and there religious heritage. Sorry can't help, but that name gets me excited,

blessings,

tim

Posts 10729
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2011 5:22 AM

Kevin Purcell serves as Pastor of High Peak Baptist Church near Valdese. I will send him a link to this thread, in case he has not seen it. It is a beautiful little town with a striking mural on one of the buildings as you enter town from the North.

Posts 2757
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2011 5:49 AM

Yep, Valdese is named for this group. There is a large Presbyterean church in town called Waldensian Presb. Church. We also have a museum and a live outdoor drama during the summer time that shows the heritage of the group. We also have a museum that has a lot of info. It has been a few years since I've been, but my best recollection is that they came from Italy seeking religious freedom and settled here because it was much like their home area of Italy. The Prebytereans in the area took them in and that is why the church was founded as a Presbyterean church.

Posts 10877
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2011 9:19 AM

That name rings a bell but I couldn't track it down. A similar group/name was in the area east of San Antonio Texas, escaping religious persecution in the mid-1800s.

For anyone wanting to know the connection between Napoleon, chocalate and the Waldensians: http://dallasfood.org/2011/02/gianduia-gianduja-nutella-part-6/

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS