Manuscript Transliteration of 'stars' in Dan 8:10

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 70
Wayne L Owens | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 21 2011 7:56 PM

what Bible Dictionary would i need to find the manuscript transliteration of the word 'stars' as found in Dan 8:10; none of my resourses show it exactly as 'ko ka bim'; any suggestions?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2011 8:26 PM

Wayne L Owens:

what Bible Dictionary would i need to find the manuscript transliteration of the word 'stars' as found in Dan 8:10; none of my resourses show it exactly as 'ko ka bim'; any suggestions?

I have no idea why you would want to transliterate this, but if you notice, the second letter in the word is ו with a dot ֹ  above.  The ו is a consonant while the dot is a vowel.  You are apparently wanting to replace the consonant + vowel combination with only a vowel.  Note that when your (Four letter word) interlinear transliterates it does so with a vowel with a circumflex over it ô rather than a simple vowel to indicate that it is to be read as a long vowel.  I don't know what dictionary you would use to find any transliteration since the ones I use don't transliterate.  If you're really interested, I suggest that you take steps to learn Hebrew.  It's easy since even the little children in Israel speak it.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 19263
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 22 2011 1:00 AM

Wayne L Owens:

Do some of your resources show the transliteration as something different? Perhaps you just want to have that discrepancy explained to you? There are lots different systems of transliteration, kind of like there are different systems of phonetic spelling in English dictionaries (International Phonetic Alphabet, Americanist Phonetic Notation, and others). Nobody agrees on one universal standard. It seems each Hebrew grammar makes up their onw transliteration scheme: http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/YYo5tbvd3XcJ8dYKuRla

So I wouldn't take the transliteration line in the interlinear too seriously. It's not part of Scripture, nor is it inspired. It's just meant to be a pronunciation aid for those who don't know Hebrew yet (and like George, I'd encourage you to learn some Hebrew, at least the alphabet and how to pronounce the letters). I'm not sure what transliteration scheme Logos uses for their interlinear pane, but I do recognize the b with an underline under it from my days of studying Hebrew. It represents a "v" sound in English; it's the transliteration of the Hebrew letter ב without the dagesh (dot) inside it. With the dagesh, it is pronounced pretty much like a "b" in English, and is transliterated (in this particular scheme) as a "b" without the underline. The consonants seem to be transliterated in Logos the same way as in Davidson's Introductory Hebrew Grammar:

The vowels are transliterated differently from the way Davidson does them. Every one of the Hebrew grammars that I have does them differently, and none of them completely matches the way Logos does them. It seems however to be the vowel transliteration system used in TWOT (Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament):

(Note that I have manually fixed up the alignment of the breve [U-shaped diacritical mark] over the a, e, and o in the bottom three rows of that table in my screenshot in Photoshop as there was a bug in the display code and these were not lined up properly in the resource)

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 22 2011 4:06 AM

The transliteration in the interlinears will depend on what format you have chosen in the Program Settings. You can make the word show up in several different ways. If you're not used to reading transliterated Hebrew, Simplified might be easier than Scientific, which I believe is the default.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 22 2011 8:19 AM

Wayne L Owens:

I'm not sure what you're asking. The manuscript transliteration is given in the MSS Trl line of your interlinear.

If you ever come across Greek/Hebrew outside of interlinears, www.transliterate.com is useful - in this case it gives kôkābîm.

Posts 29612
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 22 2011 9:19 AM

George Somsel:

I suggest that you take steps to learn Hebrew.  It's easy since even the little children in Israel speak it.

Big Smile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS