Is logos 4 mind-numbingly slow, or is it just me?

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
Scott Barger | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 28 2011 6:01 PM

Previous version of logos worked great on my old iMac, no complaints.  Logos 4 for Mac seems to be slow and glitchy.  Is it just me?  Are the added benefits of Logos 4 worth the significant decrease in performance I am experiencing?  Any suggestions to improve performance would be appreciated.

In the time it took me to type this logos 4 hung up on a simple search three times.  Not good, IMHO.

Posts 2983
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2011 6:08 PM

When you say the previous version of Logos are you referring to Libronix 1 for Mac or a previous iteration of Logos4?

What are your specs on your computer?

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 2
Scott Barger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2011 6:13 PM

Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that.  I have been using Logos 1 for Mac since it was released.  I am currently running both versions on my MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel i7 with 4 GB of RAM.  It seems as though Logos 1 for Mac out performs Logos 4.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2011 9:41 PM

Scott Barger:

Previous version of logos worked great on my old iMac, no complaints.  Logos 4 for Mac seems to be slow and glitchy.  Is it just me?  Are the added benefits of Logos 4 worth the significant decrease in performance I am experiencing?  Any suggestions to improve performance would be appreciated.

In the time it took me to type this logos 4 hung up on a simple search three times.  Not good, IMHO.

Welcome Big Smile

Please elaborate simple search; wondering what looking for ?  Likewise wondering about Logos 4 Mac version ?

Logos 4 wildcard (*) search is slower than Logos 1 for Mac, but other Logos 4 searches are much faster.  When searching my Logos library, Logos 4 finds more articles.

Wiki page Mac Troubleshooting => Slow Performance section has many Logos 4 and Mac OS X suggestions.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 7
Ken Gilmore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 29 2011 4:49 AM

I'm running Logos 4 on a 3 GHz Core Duo iMac with 4G of memory and OS X 10.6 and have had no complaints about speed or performance. Even when I was running the beta version of Logos 4, I rarely had any crashes. Compared to the Mac version of Libronix, Logos 4 works brilliantly.

Posts 45
WAM Project | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 4:10 AM

It's NOT just you. I have a Quad Core mac and L4 is faster than it was back last year, but it is STILL slow as molasses. The Windows version running under Parallels outperforms the Native MAC version...

They need to clean up the code. Thanks for new features, but it is barely response.

If I have an interlinear window open and scroll a bible, it takes forever... I have 8GB of memory and typically run at 25-30% memory usage so no paging with Virtual Memory occurring for me...

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 4:29 AM

Hey Scott, always fun to see someone I know on the forums.

L1 is a lightweight book reader that has very few features; L4 is full featured and the architecture that Logos chose to allow for code sharing between Windows and Mac does introduce some inefficiencies to the way it runs.

With that said Logos 4 shouldn't hang up like that on a machine like the MB pro you described. In my limited experience with L4 on Amy's Mac on-demand AV scanning or backup utilities on the Logos folder really gum up the works. Excluding the L4 folder can really speed things up.

Drop me a line on Facebook if you'd like me to look at it some time to see if there's something you can do differently to help speed things up.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 5:33 AM

WAM Project:
If I have an interlinear window open and scroll a bible, it takes forever... I have 8GB of memory and typically run at 25-30% memory usage so no paging with Virtual Memory occurring for me...

Appears Logos 4.3 Beta 7 on Mac has improved Reverse Interlinear Bible scrolling.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 12:27 PM

Kevin Becker:
backup utilities on the Logos folder really gum up the works. Excluding the L4 folder can really speed things up.

I used a utility called Time Machine Editor to limit backups to once every 8 hours because L4 Mac coughs and sputters during a TM backup.

Posts 74
Monroe R Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2011 8:46 AM

I find that what really slows down L4 on my MBP is the synch. function using the Internet. If I turn off the Internet in Program Settings, L4 works fine. It is a small matter to re-set the Settings when I want to download updates or new resources.

Rich+

Posts 79
David Hilty | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2011 10:24 AM

So what is considered fast/slow for a program like this?  I just typed in John 3:16 and hit go and it took about 90 seconds to give me my passage and exegetical guides.  I have 1,732 resources.  Is that faster or slower than what other people are experiencing?

Posts 29349
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2011 11:26 AM

David Hilty:

So what is considered fast/slow for a program like this?  I just typed in John 3:16 and hit go and it took about 90 seconds to give me my passage and exegetical guides.  I have 1,732 resources.  Is that faster or slower than what other people are experiencing?

It took me under 10 seconds. I have about 1300 resources.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 79
David Hilty | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2011 12:01 PM

alabama24:

David Hilty:

It took me under 10 seconds. I have about 1300 resources.

OK, that gives me a new perspective on things.  What are you running it on?

Posts 29349
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2011 1:44 PM

David Hilty:

David - 

I am running  Logos 4.2b SR-1 with the following specs:

• MacBook Pro (Late 2010)
  • 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 8 GB DDR3

The ram was an upgrade. By the way - I was able to take out the 4 GB that came with the MacBook and install it in my iMac, so both have 8 GB.

Posts 79
David Hilty | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2011 7:04 PM

alabama24:

David Hilty:

David - 

I am running  Logos 4.2b SR-1 with the following specs:

• MacBook Pro (Late 2010)
  • 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 8 GB DDR3

The ram was an upgrade. By the way - I was able to take out the 4 GB that came with the MacBook and install it in my iMac, so both have 8 GB.

OK, I'm running a late 2008 MBP with 2.4 Core 2 Duo and 4 GB DDR2.  I'm guessing the RAM makes a big difference.  Also, I'm down to 40-45 secs on searches now that I deleted my iPhoto library.  It was duplicated in Aperture and I kind of forgot I was carrying both libraries.  I shoot in RAW so that freed up about 20GB on my HD.

Posts 29349
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2011 7:20 PM

David - 

How full is your hard drive? From the sounds of it, that may be your biggest problem. I have a 250 GB HD, but only 75 GB are being used.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2011 9:04 PM

David Hilty:
OK, I'm running a late 2008 MBP with 2.4 Core 2 Duo and 4 GB DDR2.  I'm guessing the RAM makes a big difference.  Also, I'm down to 40-45 secs on searches now that I deleted my iPhoto library.  It was duplicated in Aperture and I kind of forgot I was carrying both libraries.  I shoot in RAW so that freed up about 20GB on my HD.

Logos 4 Mac is a 32 bit application.  Wiki Mac Troubleshooting => Slow Performance section includes memory monitoring.  If have lots of page outs, then suggest running fewer programs at the same time since late 2008 MBP max RAM is 4 GB => http://support.apple.com/kb/SP4

Noticed original hard drive is 250 GB @ 5400 RPM, which could be upgraded to 7200 RPM or Solid State Disk (SSD) for faster performance (albeit 7200 RPM drive reduces usable battery time since drive needs more power than 5400 RPM).

Mac Sales has Do It Yourself laptop drive upgrades => http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/SATA/DIY/ (with external case for current drive).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 79
David Hilty | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2011 11:52 AM

I'm at about 70% full.  200GB HD, 60GB free.

Posts 10
Edward Carr Franks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 11:41 PM

Slow for me too. Like pulling teeth to do anything!

Posts 10
Edward Carr Franks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 11:46 PM

Logos 4.3?? Why do I only have 4.2.?.?. I thought it updated automatically? Why me!

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS