SUGGESTION: Didache and Polycarp recent translations

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 27968
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, May 29 2011 2:27 AM

This should be available as a resource: Polycarp to the Philippians A Translation by Rick Brannan. Perhaps the translator might include the original manuscripts that served as a basis for the translation.  It is rumored that the same translator might provide another book, The Didache, as well.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4817
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 29 2011 2:30 AM

If it wasn't too pricey, I would likely pick this up. I concur with the suggestion that the original text be included.

Posts 308
James W Bennett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 29 2011 5:29 AM

YesYesYes

---

James W Bennett

http://syriac.tara-lu.com/

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 29 2011 8:58 AM

MJ. Smith:

This should be available as a resource: Polycarp to the Philippians A Translation by Rick Brannan. Perhaps the translator might include the original manuscripts that served as a basis for the translation.  It is rumored that the same translator might provide another book, The Didache, as well.

This sounds like something Rick might do parallel with his work on the Interlinear. If so, he should be finished with the whole Apostolic Fathers soon, since I learnt yesterday he's on the last book. So maybe Logos intends to publish this translation as a whole later on? Since they took the present Apostolic Fathers out of Platinum, the Interlinear and Rick's translation would make a good replacement one day. 

For now I found a PDF. His blog says it's based on Lake, so most of us probably already have the Greek. The blog also points out that some parts only remain in Latin, which Rick doesn't know, so those parts of the translation aren't really his.  

And here's the Didache translation.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 95
Rick Brannan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 29 2011 1:26 PM

fgh:

MJ. Smith:

This sounds like something Rick might do parallel with his work on the Interlinear. If so, he should be finished with the whole Apostolic Fathers soon, since I learnt yesterday he's on the last book. So maybe Logos intends to publish this translation as a whole later on? Since they took the present Apostolic Fathers out of Platinum, the Interlinear and Rick's translation would make a good replacement one day. 

For now I found a PDF. His blog says it's based on Lake, so most of us probably already have the Greek. The blog also points out that some parts only remain in Latin, which Rick doesn't know, so those parts of the translation aren't really his.  

And here's the Didache translation.

To confirm, yes, I'm using Lake's Greek as the basis for the translation, primarily because it is in the public domain and the interlinear needs to include the Greek text along with it.

Thanks, MJ and fgh, for the pointers to my Polycarp & Didache work, folks. Remember, this is an outside-of-my-day-job labor of love. I'm still primarily focused on the interlinear work (on pre-pub, order now if you haven't and think it would be cool: http://bit.ly/ApFthInt, which lots of people are waiting for so I feel like I need to concentrate my efforts there.

The "last book" fgh mentions is the Shepherd of Hermas, it's a biggie at 114 chapters total. I'm through the visions (25 chapters?) and about five chapters into the mandates. After that come the similitudes/parables. Lots of work, but the reading is (relatively) easy -- I actually recommend folks poke on Hermas when they want to try something in Greek outside of the NT; the Greek is approachable. There's a reason why it was so popular in the early days of the Christian church.

On the Latin portions in Polycarp, yes, I don't know Latin too well. The "translation" inside of Polycarp is based on Lake's translation, but language changed a bit in consult with Holmes & Ehrman's editions.

Want to support more work in the Apostolic Fathers? Try the Cascadia Syntax Graphs of the Apostolic Fathers: http://www.logos.com/product/6617/cascadia-syntax-graphs-of-the-apostolic-fathers

Thanks again for y'all's interest and support; if you have more questions about the interlinear please feel free to ask on this thread. 

Rick Brannan | Twitter: @RickBrannan
my books in print

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 29 2011 1:48 PM

Rick Brannan (Personal):
To confirm, yes, I'm using Lake's Greek as the basis for the translation, primarily because it is in the public domain and the interlinear needs to include the Greek text along with it.

Rick, I looked all over the Interlinear product page earlier today to find out which Greek text you used, but couldn't find it stated. I would suggest you added that somewhere; it's the kind of thing that should be there.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 95
Rick Brannan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 29 2011 2:05 PM

fgh:

Rick Brannan (Personal):

Rick, I looked all over the Interlinear product page earlier today to find out which Greek text you used, but couldn't find it stated. I would suggest you added that somewhere; it's the kind of thing that should be there.

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll ask the folks who do the pre-pub copy to add it to the page.

Rick Brannan | Twitter: @RickBrannan
my books in print

Posts 50
Eric Woernle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 3 2011 9:49 PM

YesYes

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS