Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 36 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 4:22 PM

alabama24:
I think that you are right but this is QUICKLY changing.

I read an article on this yesterday. In the US 1 in 10 sold books is an ebook -- which still means 9 in 10 are on paper. And that's just the new ones. Pretty much everything people have that's bought more than a very few years ago will be on paper as well.

And in Sweden less than 1 in 1000 sold books is an ebook...

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 30876
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 4:33 PM

fgh -

One in Ten ebooks - that is the definition of decimation! Big Smile 

I agree that paper books will be around for a while, but I think the market will change very fast. It would not surprise me to see ebooks become the standard within 5 years. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 30876
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 4:39 PM

Rosie Perera:

... I wonder how long it's going to take for scholarly books to catch up?

I think that in some circles it may take longer, but most of the market will move in this direction fairly quickly. I just graduated this May with my MDIV. Before my 2nd son came along, I worked for a local Barnes & Noble collegiate bookstore. Most books were printed, but there was a growing number of ebooks being sold. Students are being given the option of "renting" an ebook version of their textbook. 

Posts 19717
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 4:55 PM

alabama24:
I think that in some circles it may take longer, but most of the market will move in this direction fairly quickly....Before my 2nd son came along, I worked for a local Barnes & Noble collegiate bookstore. Most books were printed, but there was a growing number of ebooks being sold. Students are being given the option of "renting" an ebook version of their textbook. 

That's encouraging news. I'm perhaps not the typical customer. I'm no longer a student, so I wouldn't have access to things where you have to be a student to get them, but I'm a life-long learner and avid researcher, for my own interest as well as for writing, freelance teaching/tutoring, and helping others. I often find myself interested in books that might not be a required textbook at any educational institution I've ever been associated with but which I want to read and have access to digitally nonetheless. Here are a few random examples from my recent Amazon.com browsing history:

• Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (60 Volumes)
  • Philosophy of Technology: The Technological Condition - An Anthology (Blackwell Philosophy Anthologies)
  • The Sinews of the Spirit: The Ideal of Christian Manliness in Victorian Literature and Religious Thought
  • Science and Religion: Some Historical Perspectives (Cambridge Studies in the History of Science)
  • Truth, Beauty, and Goodness Reframed: Educating for the Virtues in the Twenty-First Century

None of those are available in digital form, at least not through Amazon.

Hopefully in 3-5 years, my experience will be different. Hopefully most of the books I come across that I want access to I'll be able to get at digitally.

Posts 30876
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 5:33 PM

Rosie - 

The last book on your list (Truth, Beauty, and Goodness Reframed: Educating for the Virtues in the Twenty-First Century) IS available on Kindle.

Thanks for sharing your interests with me. I am fairly eclectic, but unfortunately I don't have the time to read as broadly as I would like. The book on Christian Manliness sounds interesting... but not at that price!

http://www.amazon.com/Truth-Beauty-Goodness-Reframed-ebook/dp/B004P1JDYO/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&qid=1307924979&sr=1-1

Posts 30876
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 5:48 PM

Rosie - 

The publishers of the books you listed (Wiley, Oxford University Press, and Cambridge University Press) are moving towards ebooks. Two have ebook stores. I don't think your titles are being offered, but there is hope!

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2011/01/12/oxford-university-press-to-launch-ebook-distribution-platform/

http://www.cambridge.org/us/knowledge/ebooks/item2271099/?site_locale=en_US

Posts 19717
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 6:10 PM

Cool! I guess I've been behind the curve a bit. More exciting news (thanks for letting me know about that blog, The Digital Reader):

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2011/01/12/jstor-to-add-ebooks-in-2012/

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2010/09/10/ebooks-coming-to-project-muse-next-year/

Posts 1210
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2011 9:01 PM

I like page numbers--the point of reference is a comfort and helps me guess at how long it will take me to get through a resource. 

Posts 350
Chuck P. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2011 10:49 AM

Page numbering is very important to me especially in the Logos4 platform.   I do most of my reading on my Iphone...currently reading a Tozer book  and a Muller book which I find quite a bit of mispelled words.   I copy the portion of the passage with the mispelled word, get the page number and email myself from the Iphone to my computer.   The next time I get into Logos4 on the computer, I check the email, bring up the page number in the affected book and report a typo....wish I could do this directly with the Iphone, but is the only way for now.....

Chuck

Laptop: Lenovo P580 - 15.6" IdeaPad Laptop
 - 6GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive - Windows 7
 Iphone5s            Logos 7, Bronze

Posts 37
Chad Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 13 2012 3:36 PM

Bob Pritchett:

Some of them will have page numbers, and some won't, depending on the publisher's practice.

I bought Lit!: A Christian Guide to Reading Books on Kindle a while back because, unfortunately (at that time), it was not available on Logos.com or Vyrso.com. It does have page numbers on Kindle. I have so many Vyrso books (none with page numbers as far as I'm aware) that I'm lacking confidence that the Vyrso copy now available would have them. Can anyone verify whether or not Lit! has page numbers on Vyrso/Logos? If not, there needs to be a degree of accountability over the publishers to ensure both have page numbers when one version does. I am very grateful to have Vyrso books in my Logos library (which is the whole reason why I shop on Vyrso), but until the world transfers completely away from the printed book and redefines how to provide citations, this will always be a big frustration to me.

It should be noted that Kindle books without page numbers can still be cited by location, but Vyrso books lack this kind of system as well. EPUB format for Vyrso needs to provide us some point of reference. When I am doing a book study with others and want to discuss a quote, I'd rather not have to say, "You can find it a little past halfway through the 25-paged-chapter." Unfortunately, I've had to say such ridiculous things already because of this problem.

At the very least, Vyrso books without page numbers should be advertised and sold as such - and the publishers should be aware of this. If they want to sell their books to those who care about such reference points, they will take the time to include them.

Posts 6010
Simon’s Brother | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 15 2012 2:30 PM

Chad Williams:
It should be noted that Kindle books without page numbers can still be cited by location,

I don't own a kindle device, probably not likely to but I use kindle on iPhone and PC and from my usage particularly on PC is that location marker is changes depending on the size of the text and width of screen (think re-sizing window on  PC) you use, so never taken it as a reliable citation method, but I only use is sporadically so I might be missing some other feature in Kindle that you are referring that is truly a fixed location marker.

Posts 356
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 15 2012 3:40 PM

Andrew McKenzie:
so I might be missing some other feature in Kindle that you are referring that is truly a fixed location marker.

Hey Andrew, I'm just getting my feet wet with the Kindle Fire, but there are two ways to mark where you are at, one is with a "page marker" and then it also has a line on the bottom with a percentage of where you are at when in the change mode (not sure what to call it, when you can select stuff from the device itself).

I recently purchased a kindle book, and now wish I would have gotten hard copy... when in my reading group from church, everyone with a hard copy can go to their notes and say what page they're on... by the time I figure it out with the Kindle the hour is up Sad . Again, I purchased a Vysor book for the Kindle and didn't check to see if it had page numbering... totaly useless when I meet with a young man I'm mentoring (back to the hard copy). I guess Amazon, and Vyrso are somewhat alike in their thinking, it's Ok for pleasure reading, but when trying to use the resource for anything else, it's useless!!!

I've stopped buying Vyrso books because of this reason, and am not getting any more Kindle books for the same reason. I'm enjoying my Logos resources, because they DO have page numbers!

Agreeing with all the folks that want some kind of page/reference number when purchasing Vyrso books!!

Posts 1883
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 15 2012 12:50 AM

Chad Williams:

It should be noted that Kindle books without page numbers can still be cited by location, but Vyrso books lack this kind of system as well. EPUB format for Vyrso needs to provide us some point of reference. When I am doing a book study with others and want to discuss a quote, I'd rather not have to say, "You can find it a little past halfway through the 25-paged-chapter." Unfortunately, I've had to say such ridiculous things already because of this problem.

In Logos you can copy the location for Vyrso books (it's in the resource pull down) if they own the book it should take them to the specific location.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 15 2012 6:33 AM

Philana Crouch:
In Logos you can copy the location for Vyrso books (it's in the resource pull down) if they own the book it should take them to the specific location.

So if you're sitting in a small group discussing a particular book and want to direct them to a particular passage, you intend to copy the url, e-mail it to the other members of the group, and wait for them to get it and click it? That's going to hamper the discussion a bit, don't you think? Stick out tongue  (Not to talk about the fact that it requires everyone to use the Vyrso version, and to have access to the internet during discussions.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1930
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 15 2012 6:59 AM

fgh:

Philana Crouch:

So if you're sitting in a small group discussing a particular book and want to direct them to a particular passage, you intend to copy the url, e-mail it to the other members of the group, and wait for them to get it and click it? That's going to hamper the discussion a bit, don't you think? Stick out tongue  (Not to talk about the fact that it requires everyone to use the Vyrso version, and to have access to the internet during discussions.)

I could be wrong, but it looks like that is the model for Faithlife, which is one reason I am not that excited about it.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 1883
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2012 3:26 PM

fgh:

Philana Crouch:

I was referring to posting on Faithlife site itself in the group page...not in a small group discussion in person. You could post the location of what you are going to discuss in the group's page before you meet.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 29 2012 11:31 AM

Philana Crouch:
I was referring to posting on Faithlife site itself in the group page...not in a small group discussion in person.

Exactly. You were responding to people who were in small group discussions with others using paper books, and who had huge problems because the others had page numbers while they didn't. And your solution was to copy the url and post it on Faithlife...

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS