Page 1 of 6 (105 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 104 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 14
Saint | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 14 2009 11:36 AM

Is there an available NASB interlinear with the Greek? The ESV interlinear does not cut it for me.

Posts 150
Jim Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2009 12:09 PM

The NASB95 has interlinear Strong's numbers available, which are keyed to different Grk+Heb texts than the KJV with interlinear Strong's.

If you want a "true interlinear" with Greek/Heb and English, where the English is based on the NASB translation, I don't believe one is available either in Libronix or in print.

Libronix does have several other interlinears, with differing features and original text bases - the only other one that is a Reverse Interlinear is the NRSV.  What is it about the ESV RevInt that does not work for you?

=============
Redeeming the time (Eph.5:16+Col.4:5) ...
Jim Dean

Posts 2
polo3 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2009 3:52 PM

What's realy needed is a KJV Reverse Interlinear.  A KJV with the same features found in the ESV Reverse Interlinear.  Now that would be great! 

Posts 150
Jim Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2009 4:04 PM
AMG's Complete Word Study Bible has all but the orig lang text. Newberry Interlinear gives the orig TR text, but not in RevInt sequence. Together, they come very close to a KJV RevInt

=============
Jim Dean

Posts 27232
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2009 7:13 PM

JeffersonMarshall:
Is there an available NASB interlinear with the Greek?

No.

The NASB95 has a hidden Greek text but not for every word with a Strong's number. Right click, select "Navigate to Associated Word", and it will link to the Greek text in NA27. But you can see the Greek word when you hover if you have set the Greek data type (in Keylink Options) to "describe" or "Preview" in a tip window. There is no correponding facility for the OT.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 150
Jim Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2009 7:33 PM
You can use the strongs numbers to keylink directly to strongs-# based lexical aids for both the OT & NT Double click does it.

=============
Jim Dean

Posts 14
Saint | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2009 11:01 AM

I possess the NASB Interlinear Greek-English NT with a Literal English Translation by Alfred Marshall, published by Regency Reference Library an imprint of Zondervan Publishing House (ISBN 0-310-45240-6).

The ESV renderings in most cases do not literally reflect the Greek as accurately as the NASB.

Case in point, the ESV of Ephesians 5:19 says, "addressing one another in vpsalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart" whereas the NASB says, speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and songs spiritual, singing and psalming (or, making melody) in the hearts of you to the Lord."

The NASB accurately rules out the false use of mechanical instruments in worship, whereas the ESV 'might' and is falsely construed to allow mechanical instruments, in addition to the heart in "making melody."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2009 11:28 AM

JeffersonMarshall:
The NASB accurately rules out the false use of mechanical instruments in worship, whereas the ESV 'might' and is falsely construed to allow mechanical instruments, in addition to the heart in "making melody."

1     Rejoice in the Lord, O you righteous.
Praise befits the upright.
2     Praise the Lord with the lyre;
make melody to him with the harp of ten strings.
3     Sing to him a new song;
play skillfully on the strings, with loud shouts.

The Holy Bible : New Revised Standard Version. 1989 (Ps 33:1-3). Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2009 12:44 PM

JeffersonMarshall:
I possess the NASB Interlinear Greek-English NT with a Literal English Translation by Alfred Marshall, published by Regency Reference Library an imprint of Zondervan Publishing House (ISBN 0-310-45240-6).

Cool! Wish I had one.

JeffersonMarshall:

I agree with you on the point of NASB being the most literal translation we have in the English language but take a look how it reads what George quoted from NRSV:

1  Sing for joy in the LORD, O you righteous ones;
         Praise is becoming to the upright.

Give thanks to the LORD with the lyre;
         Sing praises to Him with a harp of ten strings.

Sing to Him a new song;
         Play skillfully with a shout of joy.

Psalm 33: 1-3

Scripture taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE®,
Copyright © 1960,1962,1963,1968,1971,1972,1973,1975,1977,1995
by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 352
Mike & Rachel Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2009 1:53 PM

JeffersonMarshall:

Those ESV translators...always adding things to the text...

Posts 14
Saint | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2009 4:00 PM

I think you can check online for it. I was just using my example to show the discrepancy.  But I will respond to the remarks.

It is interesting that the Old Testament is used to support the use of Mechanical instruments. Notice that Psalm 33:1-3 says, "Sing for joy to the Lord....sing praises to Him ... sing to Him."  

Nowhere in the New Testament does not it say "PLAY" an instrument in praise to God. You will have to do too much fancy footwork and a twisting of the text to do what you will in worship as opposed to God's will. The command is that we (i.e every human) must sing together (reciprocity ) in praise to God in worship.

If you want to bring forward musical instruments that David invented (Amos 6:5) [which were never used in the Sanctuary or the Holy of Holies], then you need to bring forward the other acts of worship as well.

If it is the case and an imperative that we should play a melody while we sing a melody, everyone should play an instrument in worship, in order not to be in error. Why? Well, everyone has to sing together in order to edify each other and praise God.

Notice that an instrument cannot exercize wisdom to teach and admonish; the instrument cannot express a person's thankfulness from within his/her heart, in addition to his/her heart either (Colossians 3:16).

The instrument cannot fulfill 1 Corinthians 14:15 and Hebrews 13:15 either. God tells us what and where to sing and what to use to sing (voice, in the individual heart and in the midst [heart] of the assembly). If you go back to the Ephesians 5:15-19 text, you cannot miss the implications, unless you want to. 

To be sure, you must ask and answer, "Is singing a spiritual exercize and if it is, is Christ among us when we sing (Matthew 18:20; Hebrew 2:12)?

What would Jesus the Christ be doing in our worship service? Would you be so sure He is singing? Singing and Playing? Playing? 

I pray that this helps bring clarity.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2009 4:34 PM

I appreciate your passion Jefferson. My younger brother is a preacher who graduated from a non-instrumental Church of Christ college. We have had a lot of interesting discussions about instrumental music.

I don't draw as strong a line of demarcation between the Old Covenant & The New as most Christians (I guess I embrace my Jewish ancestry rather tightly.) 

I didn't mean to go off-topic from the original post. It's just that I enjoy very much hearing others talk about God's Word even if I see it differently. Still, I appreciate your passion.

Now if I can convince Logos to add a NASB Reverse Interlinear I'll be pleased as pie! Wanna help me George? Until then I will have to use the method Dave Hooton mentioned in an earlier post.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2009 4:49 PM

Matthew C Jones:

I appreciate your passion Jefferson. My younger brother is a preacher who graduated from a non-instrumental Church of Christ college. We have had a lot of interesting discussions about instrumental music.

I don't draw as strong a line of demarcation between the Old Covenant & The New as most Christians (I guess I embrace my Jewish ancestry rather tightly.) 

I didn't mean to go off-topic from the original post. It's just that I enjoy very much hearing others talk about God's Word even if I see it differently. Still, I appreciate your passion.

Now if I can convince Logos to add a NASB Reverse Interlinear I'll be pleased as pie! Wanna help me George? Until then I will have to use the method Dave Hooton mentioned in an earlier post.

Surely you jest !  I would be more likely to encourage them to burn all interlinears.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 352
Mike & Rachel Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2009 5:15 PM

It sounds like you're saying that we shouldn't use instruments because the NT doesn't mention them.

Am I following you?

Posts 14
Saint | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2009 5:27 PM

Yes, a NASB Reverse Interlinear would be quite the thing to possess. I will support an effort to have this.

I too enjoy hearing people talk about God's word, but I take the position of looking at the text in light of the entire Bible (OT and NT). I pray that you continue to enjoy those valued moments with your brother.

Posts 14
Saint | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2009 5:40 PM

Yes. There is absolutely no biblical support for musical instruments in the NT worship.

Since it is conceded that it is not mentioned, why use it?  

My previous post should suffice (asking about the who[m], when, what, why, where and how, will go a long way in clarification the aforementioned post).

If there is a need for me to elaborate, I will be happy to do so.

I am not sure if this is the right forum for the discussion. If it is, GREAT.  Someone let me know.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2009 5:54 PM

JeffersonMarshall:

Yes. There is absolutely no biblical support for musical instruments in the NT worship.

Since it is conceded that it is not mentioned, why use it?  

My previous post should suffice (asking about the who[m], when, what, why, where and how, will go a long way in clarification the aforementioned post).

If there is a need for me to elaborate, I will be happy to do so.

I am not sure if this is the right forum for the discussion. If it is, GREAT.  Someone let me know.

I don't think we should use toilets since it doesn't mention them in the NT.  Also, never eat a tomato since that was a new world plant and therefore unknown in the NT times (same for potatos).

george
gfsomsel

Posts 150
Jim Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2009 6:03 PM
When I first joined I made the same mistake that you have (different topic). No, this forum is not the place for theological debate The purpose of the forum is to discuss the use of libronix. It is incumbent upon all of us to recognize that there are some widely different opinions represented in the universe of libronix owners - and moreso than in most "random" groups, most of us are already pretty committed to our various understandings. So, that makes ir fertle ground for Satan to sew divisiveness. Let's try to avoid controversy, and let the love of Christ CONSTRAIN us. "That we should be to His glory. "

=============
Jim Dean

Posts 14
Saint | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2009 6:11 PM

Thank you for the clarification.

Hopefully we can get the NASB interlinear or Reverse Interlinear in the near future.

Posts 172
Chris Ease | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2009 6:33 PM

My church uses the NKJV and I find that the NKJV is just too wordy.  I use a 77 NASB (print version) and as of lately I use an ESV.  I have to say from the English standpoint I believe both are the best as far as readability in the English language.  Some of us on here use Greek tools, but are weak in Greek.  With that said, it is interesting that high profile pastors with Doctorate degrees use all 3 versions mentioned.  I actually rank NASB as the best and ESV as second in the modern vernacular.  I actually thought both texts were derived from the line of Alexandrian Greek as opposed to Textus Receptus.  While I don't believe this forum is for theological debates, I do enjoy reading your post.  I would like to see the NASB-Greek interlinear.  Anyway, I think of lexicons as great help when looking at greek words and their semantic nuances/synonyms.

Page 1 of 6 (105 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS