Evangelical Exegetical Commentary is Now Shipping

Page 5 of 6 (103 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 102 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 693
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 7 2011 8:31 PM

Matthew C Jones:

I think my personal Logos library is well balanced so far. Here is my library report generated by Mark Barnes' utility:

http://www.4-14.org.uk?mylogosbooks=24912f5ddb5c9801ad966c2d06c4d4ef

Nice collection Matthew - how is "The Challenge of The Cults and New Religions"? Is it set up similar to The Kingdom of the Cults?

BTW, the EEC looks interesting, but beyond by book budget for now... AND just can't see buying something from a gentleman that wears a cheese head.... :)

Posts 6
Israel Loken | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 7 2011 9:59 PM

Frank Sauer:

AND just can't see buying something from a gentleman that wears a cheese head.... :)

The cheese head only enhances one's interpretive abilities! :)

Posts 693
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 6:21 AM

...and as a Bears fan, well never trust the interpretation of a Cheese Head!!! LOL

Israel Loken:

Frank Sauer:

AND just can't see buying something from a gentleman that wears a cheese head.... :)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 9:45 AM

Off-topic alert

Frank Sauer:
how is "The Challenge of The Cults and New Religions"? Is it set up similar to The Kingdom of the Cults?

Both books accomplish their intended purposes. Walter Martin's excellent book is more of a comprehensive reference work. Ron Rhodes book is written to aid the reader is presenting a proper apologetic response to cults.  Here is the introduction clearly describing Rhodes' approach:

"CHARTING OUR COURSE

Let me offer some brief notes regarding my guiding perspectives comprehensive in this book. First, no single-volume book can provide information on every cult. (There are thousands of cults in the world.) Hence I have chosen to focus my entire attention on 12 of the most significant cults and new religious movements we are likely to encounter in the world today. (Training in the major cults will more than adequately equip us to deal with the lesser ones.)
Second, it has been my experience in more than 15 years of cult studies that most people are interested in three primary issues regarding the cults: history, doctrine, and apologetic response. Therefore, this book will focus chiefly on these issues in regard to each respective cult or religious movement. Even then, primary attention will be devoted to the major currents in history, doctrine, and apologetic response. In other words, I will not bury the reader in unnecessary detail or secondary issues. I will focus primarily on the “big picture.” (Those interested in minutiae can consult the bibliography.)
Third, it is not my goal to continually draw attention to the more sensational factors of each respective cult, thereby arousing the emotions of the reader against them. My desire is not to make fun of adherents of cultic belief systems, for I have consistently found that they are typically sincere though misled. So I focus primarily on the facts of history, doctrine, and apologetic response.
Fourth, I have sought in every chapter to use authoritative resources produced by the cult or new religious movement that are most representative of their beliefs. This provides us with an accurate grasp of their beliefs.
Finally, this book stresses the authority of Scripture—the Bible—as a “barometer of truth” for measuring doctrinal claims. I say this with caution, for I recognize that many cults also claim to use the Bible as their authority. Throughout the book I will demonstrate how such cults engage in “Scripture twisting” to support their unique theological positions. "

Rhodes, R. (2001). The Challenge of the Cults and New Religions (18). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 14
John Kerns | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 10:47 AM

Got mine yesterday.  Stayed up late just reading the introduction.  Very well done and very well presented.  Obviously a lot of good work went into this one.  I am looking forward to rest.

Posts 79
David Hilty | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 10:58 AM

Quick question...I was charged on Monday for my first installment but the first commentary is still not showing up for me.  Is this normal, or do I need to contact someone?

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 11:31 AM

David Hilty:

Quick question...I was charged on Monday for my first installment but the first commentary is still not showing up for me.  Is this normal, or do I need to contact someone?

I could be wrong, but I think that usually you aren't charged until your download is available.  A quick call to Customer Service may be in order to see what the holdup is.

Posts 10821
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 12:16 PM

Israel Loken:

Frank Sauer:

I see that I had not looked closely at your avatar. My son would applaud. We took a family trip to Lambeau Field last March—it made North Carolina seem warmer. Big Smile.

Posts 79
David Hilty | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 12:41 PM

Ron Keyston Jr:

David Hilty:

I could be wrong, but I think that usually you aren't charged until your download is available.  A quick call to Customer Service may be in order to see what the holdup is.

Called customer service.  For the first time, they weren't much help.  They said that it should be there.  Asked me to do things that I told them I had already done.  Still not available in my library.  Updated resources and it says that no updates are available.  I guess I'll give it a little more time.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 1:13 PM

David Hilty:
Called customer service.  For the first time, they weren't much help.  They said that it should be there.  Asked me to do things that I told them I had already done.  Still not available in my library.  Updated resources and it says that no updates are available.  I guess I'll give it a little more time.

I assume you've closed and restarted Logos4, and checked to make sure that your Logos4 settings allow updates and internet usage, etc., and that your firewall is not blocking Logos4 from connecting to the Logos servers (recently someone's MacAfee was causing problems with Logos connecting through the MacAfee firewall).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 1:21 PM

Ron Keyston Jr:

David Hilty:

David, I was not charged until it shipped. But I did notice it remained at the top of my "Open Pre-Pub Orders" list after it had appeared on my "Order History" page. I'm sure you know by now you have to close and re-open Logos 4 to get resources automatically updated to the library.

Other than those minor points I would say contact Customer Service, again.. I don't think it is going to fix itself. Sad

edit: I had a phone call interrupt my posting and see Richard has addressed you in the interim.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 1:45 PM

Matthew, I also haven't got the commentary yet. It is not in the pre-pub orders list anymore. I will see tomorrow.

Bohuslav

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 1:48 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
recently someone's MacAfee was causing problems with Logos connecting through the MacAfee firewall).

Yep.. that was me.. I had to fix my McAfee.. not Logos.

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 3:20 PM

There are two potential problems that could cause the EEC not to download:

1. It hasn't been properly unlocked.
  2. It's been unlocked, but won't download.

The former problem only Logos can sort out. But you can work around the second. Just download the EEC from http://resources.assets.logos.com/lls_eec15ezr/2011-06-01T20_05_45Z/EEC15EZR.logos4, copy it into a temporary folder somewhere (e.g. c:\logos\), and type SCAN c:\logos (or whatever folder you used) in the command bar. It will look like nothing has happened, but if you then restart Logos, it should load the file.

If this fails, upload your logs.

Posts 79
David Hilty | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 7:37 PM

Just some additional info:

I'm using a MacBook Pro.

I've updated numerous resources in the past, no issue with my settings.

Customer service told me it was unlocked when I called.

I have no idea how to upload my logs.

Posts 24763
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 10:16 PM

Hi David

David Hilty:

Information about uploading logs can be found at http://wiki.logos.com/Mac_Troubleshooting#How_to_Report_Bugs_in_Logos_4_Mac

Graham

Posts 10821
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:59 AM

Graham Criddle:

Hi David

David Hilty:

Information about uploading logs can be found at http://wiki.logos.com/Mac_Troubleshooting#How_to_Report_Bugs_in_Logos_4_Mac

Graham has given you correct directions. However, do not miss this link  Mac Diagnostic Logging because logging is disabled by default. Also I highly recommend KS4J's 1754.Logos4MacLogging.app.zip which enables the user to enable and disable logging without having to use Terminal. I also recommend Logos Log Scribe which will automate much of the procedure once logging is enabled.

Posts 79
David Hilty | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 12:04 PM

Just a quick update.  Two different tech suport guys tried everything they knew, but it still wouldn't show up.  Finally decided to use the nuclear option.  So now I'm waiting for everything to download and reindex.  Wonder how long that will take?

Posts 10821
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 4:34 PM

David Hilty:
 Finally decided to use the nuclear option

Ouch Sad

David Hilty:
So now I'm waiting for everything to download and reindex.  Wonder how long that will take?

Depends on the size of your Library (Mine is 19+ GB). In the early days of L4 Mac, it took many hours. This usually best done just before bedtime.

Hope this takes care of your problem.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2011 2:44 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Matthew, I also haven't got the commentary yet. It is not in the pre-pub orders list anymore. I will see tomorrow.

Still nothing happened. Sad

Bohuslav

Page 5 of 6 (103 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS