Other input formats for PBB in the future?

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 34 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 6 2011 1:54 AM | Locked

Bohuslav Wojnar:
PBBs made of pdf would be just perfect. The solution might be to find good pdf - docx converter. I tried to find one and haven't succeeded yet.

The fact that there aren't (m)any good PDF->docx converters suggests it would be hard for Logos to produce a PDF->Logos converter. In fact, I'd say there would be no point - not because it isn't a great idea, but because it wouldn't work. I simply can't imagine any document going straight into Logos without needing a bit of tweaking (milestones added, a few bible tags and so on). So importing an uneditable document is kind of pointless. But I agree with Martha - the best way I know of for getting PDFs into Word is through using OCR software - Abby is my preferred choice, not least because it handles footnotes better than OmniPage.

Posts 8662
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 6 2011 6:38 AM | Locked

Mark Barnes:
unlike Wordpad (which in Windows 7 also supports .docx),
 Huh?  What?  Seriously?  (Well I'll be!)  At least I can play while I try to figure out my next course of action.  BTW It is amazingly gratifying to see one of my own books in progress displayed within Logos.  

I think I just had a PBB breakthrough.  And at the moment I'm checking out Microsoft office online free to see if it's going to work for me.

Philip Spitzer:
I REALLY hope you find a way to work out the docx issue. You are the PBB KING!
Rosie Perera:
No kidding! If Thomas can't use PBB, there's a serious design flaw.
   A humble correction my brother and sister: It is easy to assume perhaps, however I have merely provided hosting and bandwidth for the 1000+ PBB's on my site.  It is more the likes of Joe Kreifels who deserves the crown here.  

I am but a servant distributing the wares of greater men.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 208
Paul Gisbourne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 6 2011 6:56 AM | Locked

I've just been doing some preparation and started to think that with all the requests for changes to the note system within Logos, if this wouldn't be another way importing into PBB;

At present you can link note files with in notes, add links to resources, the 'add note' option gives great means of creating headers, what we then have is in part a self-contained PBB creation system, without the total reliance upon docx either through the use of office, or its alternatives, or any convertor's that may or may not be totally reliable.

Just a thought Smile

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 6 2011 9:37 AM | Locked

Thomas Black:

A humble correction my brother and sister: It is easy to assume perhaps, however I have merely provided hosting and bandwidth for the 1000+ PBB's on my site.  It is more the likes of Joe Kreifels who deserves the crown here.  

I am but a servant distributing the wares of greater men.

Do kings write their own speeches? I don't think so. j/k

I never jumped into PBBs much but to all who worked so hard at compiling them I say thank you. I do realize that you are not just Thomas' Minions.

Posts 527
Ebbe Andréasson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 12:01 AM | Locked

Thomas Black:
OOo can READ docx but not write it.

Libre Office 3.4 can write docx.

Posts 168
Sakarias Ingolfsson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 6 2011 1:57 AM | Locked

Thomas Black:
Is there *any* real chance that something in addition to docx will ever be used as an alternative input format for PBB?  Whether it be .doc,  .odt or whatever?  (ODT for what it's worth is a full XML compliant format -zipped.)...

Is there any official answer to that question? While I have been waiting for PBB I have prepared a couple of books in HTML format - not knowing that docx would be the future standard. I realize that i can copy-paste those documents into word without excessive amount of work. I would have to redo some formatting, but other than that it should not be too difficult. However, if HTML support is on the not too distant agenda I will rather just wait a few more months. Then again, this will probably not matter to me if the license turns out to be too expensive.

Well, I am just reiterating Blacks question: Does anyone know if DOCX is going to be the only import format for building personal books?

Posts 34367
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 6 2011 2:02 AM | Locked

Sakarias Ingolfsson:
Does anyone know if DOCX is going to be the only import format for building personal books?

I've heard nothing yet that implies other formats are planned but Logos does respond to its users. I would be rather surprised if anything but .docx is supported in the first release.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 6 2011 3:43 PM | Locked

Sakarias Ingolfsson:
I realize that i can copy-paste those documents into word without excessive amount of work.

You don't have to copy/paste into Word. You can open HTML file directly by Word and save it in docx format than. You can also merge multiple HTML files into one by Word and than save that as docx.

Bohuslav

Posts 251
Rod Bergen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 8:15 AM | Locked

I would suggest that you should be able to import ODF files.

SInce May 2006, ODF is THE standard which describes office documents in a vendor independent manner.  ODF is the standard which is used by a wide variety of applications except for the most important one which prefers to invent its own hyper-complex XML disaster in order to undermine any such standard.

Posts 2765
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 10:01 AM | Locked

Bohuslav would you send me one of those awkward pdf'?

I am playing with importer and sentence rejoiner for a different format, if I can kill 2 birds with a stone and get it to cope with pdf.. would be happy to try, but no promises I will succeed

my email is
DominicM
[AT] 
domisoft {DOT}
co /DOT/ uk

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 168
Sakarias Ingolfsson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 1:31 PM | Locked

Taxee:
SInce May 2006, ODF is THE standard which describes office documents in a vendor independent manner.  ODF is the standard which is used by a wide variety of applications except for the most important one which prefers to invent its own hyper-complex XML disaster in order to undermine any such standard.

I think there would be much more objections if Logos had chosen to have only ODF support in the first version of the new PBB. Admittedly it is "THE standard", as you put it, across the jungle of different productivity software. However, as far as I know Microsoft office is by far the most commonly used– and in my own humble opinion it is unmatched by its competitors (Although iWork my be getting close). 

I myself would have loved being able to parse HTML, since I understand how it works, and it does not have pages like a normal word document. This if of course a small issue and not worth a lot of development time.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 1:50 PM | Locked

Word is still the clear leader in market share. There are lots of people who anecdotally quote 90% market share, I found this study which seems to be the most quantitative I have found; you can see Word share by country is easily 70% - 90% in most if not all countries, OpenOffice is 5% - 22%, and others are lucky to get 1%.

When there might be questions or concerns about ODF compliance, especially between word processors, Word is a clear standard still and a safe bet for a software vendor.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 1:53 PM | Locked

Taxee:
ODF is the standard which is used by a wide variety of applications except for the most important one which prefers to invent its own hyper-complex XML disaster in order to undermine any such standard.

If you are speaking about Microsoft Word, it has had support for ODF since 2008, and from what I have read on the Internet its ODF compliance is as good as OpenOffice if not better. I would be interested if you have information that shows otherwise, I was trying to search and find out how good ODF compliance was these days. Thanks.

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 2:17 PM | Locked

DominicM:
Bohuslav would you send me one of those awkward pdf'?

File sent. Thank you Dominic very much. Looking forward to seeing your results.

Bohuslav

Posts 251
Rod Bergen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2011 3:57 PM | Locked

Dominick Sela:
If you are speaking about Microsoft Word, it has had support for ODF since 2008, and from what I have read on the Internet its ODF compliance is as good as OpenOffice if not better. I

I guess that was my point (although not well made).  If Word files can be saved to ODF and other word processing apps save to ODF it might make some sense to allow that format as well. Given that 4.3 has been released, we will have to deal with docx files for the present.

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS