MacBook Pro and Logos4

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 259
Steve Clevenger | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 9 2011 9:05 AM

Any improvements on Logos4 running on Mac?

I am still considering a MacBook Pro but some of the posts make me very hesitant.  How does L4 run on a dual core 13-inch MBP with 128GB SSD? Slow? Ok? Fast?

Should I just get a beefy PC and try L4 on a Mac in a few years when things have improved?

Thanks

Posts 2710
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 9:32 AM

I run L4M on a dinosaur Mac. It mostly works. The one area of difficulty for me is that the execution of Notes is poor. It still works however and that is the main thing.

I can't imagine L4M running poorly on a MBPro with an SSD. If you can do this, count yourself blessed. I'd still recommend you going for a better MB with discrete graphics, but that's just my take. Get more RAM if you want to stay with a 13 inch.

You could also just run Boot Camp or Parallels and enjoy both worlds. I run a Win box from Remote Desktop to enjoy Logos in both Mac and PC.

I suspect everything people are still complaining about will soon be likened to grumbling in the wilderness. We move forward. I love Logos!

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 9:45 AM

Steve Clevenger:

Any improvements on Logos4 running on Mac?

I am still considering a MacBook Pro but some of the posts make me very hesitant.  How does L4 run on a dual core 13-inch MBP with 128GB SSD? Slow? Ok? Fast?

Should I just get a beefy PC and try L4 on a Mac in a few years when things have improved?

Thanks

Fist, let me be clear that I am on the Beta. So my experience reflects improvements due to newer builds.

I am using a 2010 model MBP 17" with 7200 RPM drive. I have 8G of memory. Scrolling is fast and smooth. Searches are quick. Scrolling only hesitates at new chapters. (Actually I recently created softlinks to my Resource Folder and my Index folders after moving those files to a SSD Expresscard. Now that pause is almost unnoticeable.) Aside from occasional uh-ohs during the Beta changes, I am really quite happy with the product. I don't use notes that much, so I can't really comment on that. I won't use that much until notes are solid and proven. And even then I am more likely to compile my notes as PBB resources on a study by study basis. I have never been a big fan of verse notes. So I wouldn't wait years. I would at least give it a try now.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 114
Steve Hultquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:21 PM

I am 100% with Dewayne... I run Logos on my early 2010 MBP 15" with a 256GB SSD and 8GB of RAM. It's fast, clean, and I don't wait for much of anything. The SSD makes a huge difference for programs like Logos that do a lot of reading from disk. I see no reason to get a PC for Logos. Besides, in my experience, the time I save using a Mac instead of a PC has paid for itself multiple times over.

I do have Parallels and Windows on my MBP but I no longer use them for Logos.

Posts 259
Steve Clevenger | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:26 PM

How do you think it would run on:

i7 2.0/ 15.4" Display / 4GB Memory / 500GB 5400rpm Hard Drive

Posts 259
Steve Clevenger | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 4:05 PM

I just wondering if the 256mb gddr5 graphics , the 4gb ram, and the 5400rpm hdd is fast enough for L4 or will it be slow? Any of you brothers running such a machine?

Posts 2710
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 4:08 PM

That's way different than an SSD originally mentioned; you want a 7200RPM drive to speed access if you are going for a conventional drive, go for more memory you'll be glad you did.  The new OS is Lion and I believe it will want more memory. 

Steve Clevenger:

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 4:12 PM

Steve Clevenger:

Observation: upgrading hard drive to 7200 RPM would improve overall Mac responsiveness (but shorten battery life) => http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.23/23.01/2301LaptopHardDriveSpeed/index.html

For power usage and battery life, understand 5400 RPM drive choice by Apple.  For Logos performance, faster disk noticeably improves responsiveness.

Mac Sales has do it yourself laptop upgrade kits => http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/SATA/DIY/

Solid State Disk (SSD) can be noticeably faster, do check read and write speeds (varies between models from 21 MB/s to 525 MB/s).  In comparison, a 7200 RPM drive can read and write about 50 MB/s => http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/25inch-hdd-7200_4.html

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 7:57 PM

Steve Clevenger:

I just wondering if the 256mb gddr5 graphics , the 4gb ram, and the 5400rpm hdd is fast enough for L4 or will it be slow? Any of you brothers running such a machine?

I wouldn't be too worried about the 4GB and 5400, as they could be upgraded rather easily and inexpensively. However, in my opinion, the 256mb graphics might be a bottleneck. I think Logos puts a lot of work on the graphic memory due to the way it is designed. If you are looking at purchasing something, I would really ponder this. But if it is a machine you already have, then by all means give it a whirl. Also, I will say that I have used 13, 15 and 17" MBP's. And I just can't go back from the 17". I tried... But it just wasn't enough resolution and screen space. So speed is not the only thing to consider when using Logos.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 242
Lankford Oxendine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 8:15 PM

I have a 2011 MBP 2.2GHz SSD with 1GB VRAM and I can tell no difference between integrated graphics and dedicated graphics.  I run Logos 4 several hours a day and have switched many times between the two graphics solutions and have never been able to notice any performance difference.  Also, Logos 4 loves screen real estate.  I can't imagine running on a 13" low res screen.  My 15" HR is painful enough.  

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 9:33 PM

Lankford Oxendine:
I can tell no difference between integrated graphics and dedicated graphics.

I was thinking that there were only two options now. Dedicated Graphics all the time, and Automatic Switching, which would still be Dedicated Graphics when running Logos, because of its power requirements. So you wouldn't see a difference, would you?

Posts 242
Lankford Oxendine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 9:42 PM

I have a free program called gfxCardStatus that allows you to select a specific graphics option.  If you have visual cues turned off in Logos 4, it rarely invokes the dedicated GPU.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS