How to build this search

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 242
Lankford Oxendine | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:07 PM

How can I find all of the times in a particular Bible, where the greek words ου μη immediately precede a verb in the aorist tense and subjunctive mood?  Thanks!

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:26 PM

Lankford Oxendine:

How can I find all of the times in a particular Bible, where the greek words ου μη immediately precede a verb in the aorist tense and subjunctive mood?  Thanks!

Open the morphological search and set the target to the NA-27 then enter

lemma:οὐ BEFORE 1 WORD lemma:μή BEFORE 1 WORD @VA?S

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 242
Lankford Oxendine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 8:05 PM

Thanks for the reply George.  This doesn't work for me??

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 8:23 PM

Lankford Oxendine:

Thanks for the reply George.  This doesn't work for me??

I don't understand why not.  I copied the entry I gave you and pasted it into a morph search and got 226 hits (number seems wrong since it should be divisible by 3) in 68 verses.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 8:27 PM

George Somsel:
I don't understand why not.  I copied the entry I gave you and pasted it into a morph search and got 226 hits (number seems wrong since it should be divisible by 3) in 68 verses.

Not just Greek...he's a master at math as well!

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 8:31 PM

Philip Spitzer:
Not just Greek...he's a master at math as well!

Not a master, but I did take algebra, geometry, triginometry and calculus.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 242
Lankford Oxendine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 8:42 PM

You're right, it works.  I forgot to select the Greek text instead of English.  Can you explain why this doesn't work with an English Bible that has a reverse interlinear?  Thanks again.

Posts 242
Lankford Oxendine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 8:51 PM

Never mind.  I forgot about the word order in Greek vs. English.  Don't laugh too hard!!

Posts 6717
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 8:54 PM

Lankford Oxendine:

You're right, it works.  I forgot to select the Greek text instead of English.  Can you explain why this doesn't work with an English Bible that has a reverse interlinear?  Thanks again.

Lankford, don't mention Interlinear around George. I might not offer you any more help. Big Smile

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2011 10:05 AM

George Somsel:
triginometry

Since I know how important correct language is to you, would you be so kind as to direct me to a dictionary that lists that spelling, so that I can incorporate it into my vocabulary?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2011 10:09 AM

fgh ... you're having too much fun.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2011 10:24 AM

fgh:

George Somsel:
triginometry

Since I know how important correct language is to you, would you be so kind as to direct me to a dictionary that lists that spelling, so that I can incorporate it into my vocabulary?

Mea culpa !  The word signifies three angles (τρεῖς, τρια -- γωνία) and should therefore be trigonometry. 

george
gfsomsel

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2011 1:25 PM

Denise Barnhart:

fgh ... you're having too much fun.

You're quite right I do!  But after catching George doing several language mistakes in the last few days, while simultaneously attacking another user for doing the same, I figured it was time to call him out. That it was a Greek word was an extra bonus. Big Smile

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2011 1:27 PM

George Somsel:
Mea culpa !

Tua culpa indeed! How is a poor foreigner like me supposed to learn correct English if I can't even trust yours? Sad What, then, about:

George Somsel:
a palate to mark up texts

Would that by any chance be palette?

(As it happens, I found that one in a reply to the very same person, whom -- about two hours later, and in the very same thread -- you offered to buy a dictionary because you found his misspellings "painful".)

Also, you might want to know that a MAC is not the same thing as a Mac. I hate to be the one to break this to you -- I can only imagine how it will make you feel -- but, if I've understood things correctly, even your PC has a MAC.

Writing MAC instead of Mac in a forum read by Mac users is a bit like walking out on the street in a t-shirt saying "I don't have a clue what I'm talking about". To most longtime Mac users it's like nails on a chalkboard. One might almost say reading it is quite ... painful.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2011 3:33 PM

fgh:
Writing MAC instead of Mac in a forum read by Mac users is a bit like walking out on the street in a t-shirt saying "I don't have a clue what I'm talking about". To most longtime Mac users it's like nails on a chalkboard. One might almost say reading it is quite ... painful.

MAC

MAC

MAC

MAC

Devil

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2011 3:33 PM

fgh:

MAC

MAC

MAC

MAC

Devil

george
gfsomsel

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS