Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 14
Mike Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 16 2009 4:00 AM

Guys and gals,

Please go easy on a newby...I searched but could not find the answer. Moving to Logos from Zhubert, one functionality that I cannot seem to find--and is driving me crazy--is the way to do a word search in only one book. For example, I want to know just how John has used this particular word in his gospel (ζάω). I can do the general Bible Word Study and find out that the word is used 140 times in the NT. And if I want to read through all of those references I can find the John references (unfortunately, not in chronological order but by morphology). From that page (which seems the logical place to get further detailed data) I cannot find a way to isolate John's uses (and hopefully get them in chronological order). [Sigh]...this was so easy in Zhubert! But Logos is so powerful I am convinced there must be a way. Can anyone help me out? Thanks! 

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2009 5:10 AM

Hi Mike,

In the Word Search Box, under Range, select Special. Then, to the right of that, in the next box, just type in John. This will conduct the search just in John.

Charlene

Charlene

Posts 26953
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 17 2009 1:28 AM

Charlene:
In the Word Search Box, under Range, select Special. Then, to the right of that, in the next box, just type in John.

In Bible Search (Search menu) do as suggested above! Select your bible from Bibles:

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 14
Mike Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 17 2009 3:25 AM

Charlene and Dave,

Thanks so much for the reply! I had always been right clicking on the word and choosing "Bible Word Study" from the right-click menu. That didn't seem to give me the option. I see now that you are suggesting going in through the Bible Search mode--Duh!  Can I ask a further question as I have experimented with your suggested menu? I can't seem to get every form of the word. Again using ζῶν in Jn. 4:10--when I put ζῶν into the search box you recommend, and check every check box for the "Tense, Voice, Mood" (since I want every use of ζῶν in John) all I get is five uses of ζῶν in the results. I tried the same with ἔπιεν in Jn. 4:12 and again checked all the boxes trying to get every use of the verb in John...and it returns only that use, though one can see the same verb in other forms right here in the context in v. 10 and v. 13. So I am baffled--I would have thought that checking every box in the search dialogue would get me every form of the verb, but evidently not? How do I get every form of the verb? Thanks...and so sorry for the newby questions! 

Posts 26953
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 17 2009 8:54 PM

Mike Johnson:
How do I get every form of the verb?

The best way is to right click on the word, choose "Selected Text", select the Lemma and then "Speed Search this Resource".

Note that you need a bible with morphology to get lemmas e.g. Lexham Greek-English Interlinear, NA27.

Mike Johnson:
when I put ζῶν into the search box you recommend, and check every check box for the "Tense, Voice, Mood"

I assume you were using Morphological Bible Search, but you would have to use the lemma in order for this to work i.e. input ζάω into the Lemma box, confirm this is the right one and then select the "Add to Search" button (if you wanted specific morphology you select that before pressing the button). Select your Bibles: and Range: and then use the Search button.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 14
Mike Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 18 2009 4:55 AM

Eureka Dave! That's it! You are a genius. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I knew Logos could do it if I could just figure out how.

Mike

Posts 26953
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 18 2009 7:35 PM

You're welcome!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS