Simple Search function

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 33 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 260
Pastor Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 3 2009 8:14 PM

Is there a Bible Speed Search function like there was in L3? I used it a lot when trying to find certain verses.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 8:17 PM

DanCleghorn:

Is there a Bible Speed Search function like there was in L3? I used it a lot when trying to find certain verses.

No.

But searching is pretty fast most of the time. Just make sure you're searching your Bible when you search, as search has a tendency to remember how you were searching the last time you searched.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 26622
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 8:27 PM

Further, Logos has stated there will be no "search-as-you-type" feature in L4.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1717
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 11:20 PM

Actually, we're not completely opposed to search as you type -- we liked it too -- we just aren't sure how to smoothly get it into the interface of the system.

Now that basic search is one window for the query and the results, what's the distinction of speed search? Where would it love -- as an alternate to Basic Bible Morph Syntax in the search panel? Should we add a fourth "big icon" up top to go straight to it?

Or should we just have Bible Search automatically act as "Speed Search" when you're just searching one Bible? (Or even all of them?)

BTW, my favorite way to search a Bible quickly in Logos 4 is to type Alt+D (to get to the command bar; it's also the web browser shortcut for the address bar, and imprinted on my brain) and then type my query and hit Ctrl+Enter to execute it as a Top Bibles search.

Posts 26622
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 11:28 PM

I'm not convinced it is needed, Bob. It definitely filled a "speed" niche in L3.

What could be faster than your favourite way!?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 11:47 PM

Dave Hooton:
I'm not convinced it is needed,

One thing I liked doing with it was making accidental discoveries very quickly. Let's say I'm typing in victory. Hey wait a minute, I get a hit on victor. That reminds me, what about victorious, oh, that shows me some hits for victories (before I finish typing), oh yeah, I wanted to search for victory. So, I just found a bunch of stuff with an easily manipulated 'fuzzy search.' I don't know that I ever did this with 'victory' but I've done it with other words and made some helpful discoveries. What was that acronymn? Oh yeah, FSD. The instantaeous nature of the search was a part of that.

As for icons, I'd put a magnifying glass over a book, and make the default a quick search over the active resource pane. Maybe a magnifying glass with hot-rod style flames would be cool.

Ah. Maybe I should just go to bed.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 12:01 AM

The part I liked about searching as I typed was if I could not remember what I was looking for, I could type in variables very quickly and get results, read the context and work through a dozen searches in just a minute or less.  Now, I am forced to do complete searches for words I am guessing are in the text I want to find and that is much slower.  

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 260
Pastor Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 9:54 AM

Bob,

Using this feature for every sermon, I would like to see it as a separate option in the Search tab. Maybe "Basic, Bible, Speed, Morph"

For example,in L3  if I am looking for "exceeding abundantly above all that I can ask or think." I would use Simple Search to type in "exceeding" giving me 62 hits. Then, when I type in "abundantly" I get 3 hits and can find the verse I am thinking about. Very handy in sermon prep if you cannot think of the exact reference.

Posts 260
Pastor Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 8:43 AM

I would even be pleased if you could incorporate it right into the bible search.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 8:56 AM

Bob Pritchett:
BTW, my favorite way to search a Bible quickly in Logos 4 is to type Alt+D (to get to the command bar; it's also the web browser shortcut for the address bar, and imprinted on my brain) and then type my query and hit Ctrl+Enter to execute it as a Top Bibles search.

hey...killer thanks for the tip!

What you're seeing is CTRL+D, marriage getting typed in and a search of top 5 bibles in 2.7 seconds...

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 260
Pastor Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:34 PM

As mentioned, the commande bar is a nice feature, but it does not do the job Speed Search was able to carry out in L3.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:13 PM

Bob Pritchett:
we just aren't sure how to smoothly get it into the interface of the system.

I would have an option on the search menu labeled "optimize for speed" that can be check. Have it grayed out when basic search is checked, or checking it for basic search can have it bring up the heading only, if that increases speed any.

Posts 25
Robert S. Ogle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:16 PM

I also would like to see the old Bible Speed search funtion.  It used different colors for each word typed which was nice.  Also, in Logo 4, you will find that if you click on a verse in the list of verses found, that the font size of the bible verses that display in the right panel are larger and, as a consequence, more readable than the font used to display the search results in the left panel.  Why is LOGOS 4 using different sized fonts in these two panels.

Also, in LOGOS 3, if I wanted to restrict my search to just those verses associated with the words of Christ, I would type "wordsofchrist:judge", say, in the search box.  LOGOS 4 fails to find any verses when I use this syntax although it works just fine in LOGOS 3.

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:47 PM

Yes, pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase, I miss my speed search!

Like someone else mentioned, it is great to quickly change terms. Example: I want to find passage that speak about Jesus and God. I could do Jesus, Christ, Son, Father, God, Lord. This would give me a lump of hits. Speed search allows me to do quickly see sets (Jesus, Christ +Father); (Jesus, Christ +God). Why not type Jesus, Christ +(Father, God) you may ask? Because I need to think too much about how to formulate the syntax of the search as opposed to typing nearly as quickly as I think of other ways to look for what I am looking for.

I think that speed searching all resources could be an interesting way to find topics as well. Of course, it could not be by verse (perhaps by paragraph?). But for sure, it is extremely useful for searching the Bible and I use it extensively.

BTW, with the speed searching context menu, I could also search for a Strong's # and then add other Strong's # to it. It is a great way to find some common lemma associations.

Posts 1867
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:38 PM

Kind of off-topic here, but I'm new to the forums (started reading them to help with getting used to L4) and I'm impressed how the corporate top guy gives enough of a hoot about his customers that he is up at 11:20 asking their opinion on possible features. Way to go!

In fact, it appears he gives a very large hoot.

Win 10 | Android 9 | Fire OS 5

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:50 PM

RobertMWarren:

Kind of off-topic here, but I'm new to the forums (started reading them to help with getting used to L4) and I'm impressed how the corporate top guy gives enough of a hoot about his customers that he is up at 11:20 asking their opinion on possible features. Way to go!

In fact, it appears he gives a very large hoot.

Robert, Bob is an amazing owl (that which gives a hoot, without using the name of a certain "restaurant"). He watches the forums, interacts with his customers, gives out his email and phone number, intervenes with his staff, seeks our input and opinions,etc. etc.

Chris

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 1:42 AM

Not COMPLETELY ON TOPIC...

But...the Words of Christ search DOES work in v4...you just gotta use hyphens...

words-of-christ:judge

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 3:43 PM

Bible Speed Search is one of my favorite tools. I would prefer to have an icon dedicated to it that worked just as well or better than in L3.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 3:46 PM

I too really like the Bible Speed Search of L3.

When i could not remember words in order, it highlighted the different words separately in each passage virtually instantly. Even when the words were not right next to each other in the scripture.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 338
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 4:56 PM

Joe Miller:
The part I liked about searching as I typed was if I could not remember what I was looking for, I could type in variables very quickly and get results, read the context and work through a dozen searches in just a minute or less

Right, it was a fuzzy search that was better than the actual fuzzy search which use to chew up lots of memory and took way too long. Getting closer to  getting this update now that I see all of the posts which are positive and the fact that L4 has speed. Two thumbs up on the Bible Speed Search feature!!!  rrm

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS