Logos Bible Software 4 Indexer has stopped working

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 11
Andrew Ma | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 3 2009 10:36 PM

Each time I start Logos 4 on my desktop, I get this error message:

"Logos Bible Software 4 Indexer has stopped working"

I don't see any problems on my laptop. Any idea what's going on?

I've enabled logging and here's the log output:

2009-11-03 22:41:22.8996	1	Info	Program	Starting application (version 4.0.3.2492).
2009-11-03 22:41:22.9583	1	Info	UserManager	Opening UserManager in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Users.
2009-11-03 22:41:22.9652	1	Info	LocalFileDatabase	Found existing database at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Users\UserManager.db
2009-11-03 22:41:23.0894	1	Info	Program	Processing existing commands.
2009-11-03 22:41:23.0894	1	Info	Program	Setting status to PreparingLibrary
2009-11-03 22:41:23.0894	1	Info	Program	Creating digital library services.
2009-11-03 22:41:23.1158	1	Info	DigitalLibraryServices	Initializing DigitalLibraryServices. (Shared Folder= C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Shared, Data Folder = C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\<random>, Documents Folder = C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Documents\<random>)
2009-11-03 22:41:23.1344	5	Info	DigitalLibraryServices	(Timed) Creating update manager.
2009-11-03 22:41:23.1344	5	Info	DigitalLibraryServices	(Timed) Creating license manager.
2009-11-03 22:41:23.1344	5	Info	LicenseManager	Opening LicenseManager in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\<random>\LicenseManager; products folder is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Shared\Products
2009-11-03 22:41:23.1344	5	Info	LocalFileDatabase	Found existing database at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\<random>\LicenseManager\Products.db
2009-11-03 22:41:23.1696	5	Info	DigitalLibraryServices	(31ms) Creating license manager.
2009-11-03 22:41:23.1696	5	Info	DigitalLibraryServices	(Timed) Creating resource manager.
2009-11-03 22:41:23.1696	5	Info	DigitalLibraryServices	(Timed) Creating data type options.
2009-11-03 22:41:23.1696	5	Info	DigitalLibraryServices	(2ms) Creating data type options.
2009-11-03 22:41:23.1891	5	Info	LocalFileDatabase	Found existing database at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\<random>\ResourceManager\ResourceManager.db
2009-11-03 22:41:23.4590	5	Info	LocalFileDatabase	Found existing database at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Documents\<random>\ResourceManager\ResourceSyncManager.db
2009-11-03 22:41:23.4639	5	Info	DigitalLibraryServices	(290ms) Creating resource manager.
2009-11-03 22:41:23.4639	5	Info	UpdateManager	Initializing update manager.
2009-11-03 22:41:23.4639	5	Info	LocalFileDatabase	Found existing database at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\<random>\UpdateManager\Updates.db
2009-11-03 22:41:23.4825	5	Info	DigitalLibraryServices	(353ms) Creating update manager.
2009-11-03 22:41:23.5089	1	Info	Program	Setting notification icon tool tip to: Logos Bible Software is downloading updates
2009-11-03 22:41:23.5324	5	Info	DigitalLibraryServices	(Timed) Creating download manager.
2009-11-03 22:41:23.5324	5	Info	DownloadManager	Opening Download Manager in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\<random>\DownloadManager.
2009-11-03 22:41:23.5324	5	Info	LocalFileDatabase	Found existing database at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\<random>\DownloadManager\DownloadManager.db
2009-11-03 22:41:23.5432	5	Info	DigitalLibraryServices	(9ms) Creating download manager.
2009-11-03 22:41:23.5432	5	Info	Program	There are 0 updates downloading (out of a maximum of 4); starting a new job (from 39 queued updates).
2009-11-03 22:41:23.5617	5	Error	Program	Unhandled exception: System.ArgumentException: A DownloadJob for the update already exists.
Parameter name: update
   at Libronix.DigitalLibrary.UpdateManager.CreateDownloadJob(DownloadManager downloadManager, DownloadableUpdate update)
   at LDLS4.Indexer.Program.StartNewDownloadJobs()
   at LDLS4.Indexer.Program.MonitorDownloadJobs(IWorkState state, DownloadData data)
   at Libronix.Utility.Threading.WorkStateThreadOwner`1.ThreadProc(Object objData)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(Object obj)
Posts 26795
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 10:46 PM

Start at the beginning:-

Have you successfully installed L4 +  downloaded and indexed all your resources?

When did this message first appear?

Have you ever been able to get into L4 and open resources, do searches, Guides etc? Is there a message that Indexing is underway?

EDIT:

Do you have Windows Update set to automatically download?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 11
Andrew Ma | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 10:50 PM

Ok, I got a fix. I don't know exactly what it's doing, but it seems to have fixed it. I renamed \Logos4\Data\....\DownloadManager\DownloadManager.db to DownloadManager.db.bak and it seems to have reset some stuff. There must be some malformed data in the DownloadManager.db.

Not sure how I got into that state, but I can send the file to someone at Logos if needed for debugging.

Posts 11
Andrew Ma | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 10:54 PM

I do have Windows Update set to automatic. I'm running win7.

I was able to install and successfully download and index everything yesterday. Today I started it up, it told me it was downloading some updates and then crashed. Now it crashed immediately everytime I start it up. I did find a work around though (see my post above).

Posts 26795
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 11:07 PM

AndrewMa:

I do have Windows Update set to automatic. I'm running win7.

I was able to install and successfully download and index everything yesterday. Today I started it up, it told me it was downloading some updates and then crashed. Now it crashed immediately everytime I start it up. I did find a work around though (see my post above).

For now set Windows Update to something other than "Automatic" because it uses the same download channel as L4 and your download may have conflicted with a Windows download. Either way, your hunch allowed the download to resume by resetting the download status!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 11
Andrew Ma | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 11:29 PM

My computer was downloading something from windows update at the same time. so you might be right about the conflict.

Posts 9134
LogosEmployee

AndrewMa:

Ok, I got a fix. I don't know exactly what it's doing, but it seems to have fixed it. I renamed \Logos4\Data\....\DownloadManager\DownloadManager.db to DownloadManager.db.bak and it seems to have reset some stuff. There must be some malformed data in the DownloadManager.db.

Not sure how I got into that state, but I can send the file to someone at Logos if needed for debugging.

Hi Andrew,

We've had a couple of people report a similar bug now; you're correct that DownloadManager.db contains data that is causing the crash. We're looking in to the issue here and--if we can reproduce it--will have a fix in the next release. Until then, your workaround is a good way to get the system back up and running. (Strictly speaking, doing this could cause Logos 4 to abandon a couple of BITS jobs, which won't be cleaned up automatically by the OS for 90 days. A user account is typically limited to 60 BITS jobs, so you could experience problems if you do this every day... but we hope that won't be necessary.)

Posts 11
Andrew Ma | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 12:41 AM

Would you like me to send you my DownloadManager.db ? Will that hep you repro the bug?

Posts 9134
LogosEmployee

AndrewMa:

Would you like me to send you my DownloadManager.db ? Will that hep you repro the bug?

No, that's not necessary; the log file was enough.

Posts 11
Andrew Ma | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 1:29 PM

Ok, great. Let me know if you need additional help. I'm a software testing by day. Not too far away from you guys actually. I'm in Redmond.

Posts 651
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 3:28 PM

Bradley Grainger:

We've had a couple of people report a similar bug now; you're correct that DownloadManager.db contains data that is causing the crash. We're looking in to the issue here and--if we can reproduce it--will have a fix in the next release. Until then, your workaround is a good way to get the system back up and running. (Strictly speaking, doing this could cause Logos 4 to abandon a couple of BITS jobs, which won't be cleaned up automatically by the OS for 90 days. A user account is typically limited to 60 BITS jobs, so you could experience problems if you do this every day... but we hope that won't be necessary.)

I've been looking everywhere for this file on my computer because I have the same problem. Where is it?

When I was still downloading resources, it last showed that I still had approx. POINT 8 GB left to download out of 6.8 total...now it won't do anything until I "close the program" this Logos 4 comes up and "all is well with the world."...more or less. I still haven't been able to do a total indexing and I've disabled everything I can think of and shut off the wifi antenna...other than that, it is an awesome program.

Posts 3305
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 3:31 PM

Mine has stopped for the 4th time saying the same thing this is day 3 trying to complete the indexing on my desktop-  starting to feel alittle, well forget it.

Any suggestions?

Have spent a total of 28 hrs trying to complete this process.

Posts 11
Andrew Ma | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 3:55 PM

Bill Shewmaker:

I've been looking everywhere for this file on my computer because I have the same problem. Where is it?

When I was still downloading resources, it last showed that I still had approx. POINT 8 GB left to download out of 6.8 total...now it won't do anything until I "close the program" this Logos 4 comes up and "all is well with the world."...more or less. I still haven't been able to do a total indexing and I've disabled everything I can think of and shut off the wifi antenna...other than that, it is an awesome program.

Open your an explorer window to C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEHERE\appdata\Local\Logos4\Data

(entering the appropriate username in the spot where it says YOURUSERNAMEHERE

There should be one folder with something that looks like gibrish. Go into there and then go into the DownloadManager folder. You should see the .db file.

Posts 651
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 3:59 PM

AndrewMa:

Open your an explorer window to C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEHERE\appdata\Local\Logos4\Data

(entering the appropriate username in the spot where it says YOURUSERNAMEHERE

There should be one folder with something that looks like gibrish. Go into there and then go into the DownloadManager folder. You should see the .db file.

Thanks for the quick reply Andrew,

When I go to that "location" all I see are individual resources, not folders and nothing that looks like giberish

Posts 26795
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 4:26 PM

If you got to the Logos4 folder do an Windows Explorer search for downloadmanager.db and then delete the file.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 11
Andrew Ma | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 4:31 PM

Hmm.... both my computers have the same directory structure. Let's try something else.

Open Explorer and in the address bar put this:
%userprofile%\appdata\local\logos4\data

From there, use the search box (it's to the right of the address bar) to search for the word "downloadmanager.db" (without quotes)

see what it finds.  Mine gives me the one file which was the problematic file.

Posts 651
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 4:32 PM

Dave Hooton:

If you got to the Logos4 folder do an Windows Explorer search for downloadmanager.db and then delete the file.

That's what I've been trying to find so I CAN delete it...my computer doesn't find any such file...even tho I know it has to be there...I've even tried searching through some of the hidden files...according to my computer..."no such file exists..."

Posts 651
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 4:51 PM

Bill Shewmaker:

That's what I've been trying to find so I CAN delete it...my computer doesn't find any such file...even tho I know it has to be there...I've even tried searching through some of the hidden files...according to my computer..."no such file exists..."

I am starting to run out of patience with Windows Vista....I liked XP a whole lot better because you find what you were looking for...anyway, I've searched for the downloadmanager.db file...for some reason, it is nowhere to be found....at least in Vista....that I can find.

Posts 11
Andrew Ma | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 5:01 PM

It's possible that the file doesn't exist for you and this is another problem you're having.

About Vista, you should consider upgrading to windows 7. Highly recommended, especially if you're running Vista right now.

Posts 651
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 5:06 PM

AndrewMa:

It's possible that the file doesn't exist for you and this is another problem you're having.

About Vista, you should consider upgrading to windows 7. Highly recommended, especially if you're running Vista right now.

I'd like to do that, but I just crossgraded in Logos for about the same price that I would need to purchase WIndows 7. I have a friend that was a beta tester for Windows 7 and he was telling me some of the things it can do...drool, drool, drool...

I'll keep trying to find that "" file and delete it somehow.. Angry

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS