Issues using L4 to study the Hebrew bible and UI requests

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 3 2009 11:35 PM

I'm enjoying the new Logos version 4 very much.  Cool It is a real improvement and very impressive in terms of high level work (e.g. word study/ passage guide).  I am, however, missing some features I had in L3, which is making the new L4 not as effective in low level work for my studies.

Specifically, I'm using Logos to help me study the Hebrew bible (mainly using the BHS/SESB and BHS/WM 4.2), and the problems I encounter are:

1. When you hold the cursor over a Hebrew word, the parsing and gloss information now appears in form of a tool tip box in the lower left hand corner of the window.  This is very nice but there is a little problem with it.  Many Hebrew words are "compound" words (e.g. conjunction + preposition + verb), and in L4 only the parsing information of the first component (frequently the conjunction) would appear in the tool tip box, and there're nothing on the parsing/ gloss information of the other components of the word, and I am afraid that this is not too helpful.  It is very clumpsy, on the other hand, to have to go to a full study for all words like that because they are very common. 

So I am wondering if the application could be enhanced, so that the program distinguishes the part of the word that the mouse is hovering over (i.e. whether it is hovering over the conjunction or preposition or verb for the above scenario), and display the parsing/ gloss information in the tool tip box accordingly?

And if this is not possible, it would be helpful if the parsing/gloss information of the verb or noun (instead of the first component) inside the word is displayed.

2. In L3 I have configured the Keylink to open HALOT and BDB on a single click on the words, which has been very convenient.  L4 however is not as customizable and I need to double click to lookup the words in those lexicons.  Okay this is not as formidable as the triple (!) click in Accordance (the primary reason that I'm staying away from it right now), but for a difficult passage with many words to lookup (e.g. a chapter in Job) all this double-clicking can be rather tiring.  I understand that you're trying to keep the UI simple and easy, but nonetheless I'm wondering if you could add one more setting to let the user choose between single click and double click, so that it is easier on the users?

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 11:57 PM

Amy Leung:

Specifically, I'm using Logos to help me study the Hebrew bible (mainly using the BHS/SESB and BHS/WM 4.2), and the problems I encounter are:

1. When you hold the cursor over a Hebrew word, the parsing and gloss information now appears in form of a tool tip box in the lower left hand corner of the window.  This is very nice but there is a little problem with it.  Many Hebrew words are "compound" words (e.g. conjunction + preposition + verb), and in L4 only the parsing information of the first component (frequently the conjunction) would appear in the tool tip box, and there're nothing on the parsing/ gloss information of the other components of the word, and I am afraid that this is not too helpful.  It is very clumpsy, on the other hand, to have to go to a full study for all words like that because they are very common. 

So I am wondering if the application could be enhanced, so that the program distinguishes the part of the word that the mouse is hovering over (i.e. whether it is hovering over the conjunction or preposition or verb for the above scenario), and display the parsing/ gloss information in the tool tip box accordingly?

And if this is not possible, it would be helpful if the parsing/gloss information of the verb or noun (instead of the first component) inside the word is displayed.

Amy,

I reported this towards the end of the Beta cycle when the updated SESB was released.

It has been filed as a Bug report (on my netbook the glosses actually disappear off the screen!)

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 1:57 AM

Damian McGrath:

I reported this towards the end of the Beta cycle when the updated SESB was released.

It has been filed as a Bug report (on my netbook the glosses actually disappear off the screen!)

Glad to hear that.  Smile

I really hope that we could have the single click though, it can be rather tiring to have to double click all the way looking up lexicons, especially if it is an intensive study.  Stick out tongue

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:11 PM

I saw this morning the SESB tool tip box bug was fixed!  That was really fast!  Wink  Thank you all!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS