C.S. Lewis Collection

Page 3 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 57 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2009 1:36 PM

John Bowling:

George Somsel:
“The worker is entitled to the produce of his labor – period.”

I was going to read that sentence, but I’m afraid you’ve wasted your time in posting it. You see, I don’t waste my time with idiocy.

So that is your opinion of scripture that it is idiocy?  Read 2 Tim 2.6.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2009 1:39 PM

This thread is getting way off topic, both for the intent of this thread and the intent of this forum.

May I kindly, ask that the discussion be taken off-line, to a different discussion forum, or simply dropped.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 320
John Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2009 1:44 PM

George Somsel:

Apparently you weren't reading my sentence (maybe because you thought it was idiocy), but I said I didn't read the sentence, so how could I have known it was Scripture? Apparently you also didn't read what I said before that, since I also informed you that I was just giving you a dose of your own medicine (for all you know, the links I gave you provided SCRIPTURE in support and therefore YOU would guilty of the same thing!!!) as a reductio ad absurdum.

Anyway, if you'd like to continue this "debate" you can come over to my blog http://perspectivelyspeaking.wordpress.com/ (However, I haven't used that blog in about 2 years and I would no longer endorse everything there. Or if you have your own blog we can take the debate there... although I hope it is conducted a little more rationally.)

I'll respect the request to not post anymore of this here. Any future response will be posted on my blog if necessary.

perspectivelyspeaking.wordpress.com

Posts 63
Jim Dunne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2009 1:53 PM

John McComb:

Many of us quote Lewis frequently. It would be wonderful to be able to search his books, essays, letters, and literary works. 

I'll say. Trying to find references to little bits like his flatworld metaphor in this stack of paperbacks is hard work. Some of his books are almost reference works. there's a lot of theology in there (even though Lewis denied being theological). You want to quote the guy and you want your quotes to be accurate. Finding the quotes is not an easy thing to do.

Yours in Christ

John

John,

Do you have a copy of "The C. S. Lewis Index", compiled by Janine Goffar?  It's nothing but a huge (670 page) index, so you have to have the books as well, but I've found it to be useful.  I found 3 entries on flatlanders, pointing to "Christian Reflections" and "The Weight of Glory".

Hope this helps,

Jim D.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2009 2:29 PM

John Bowling:

George Somsel:

Apparently you weren't reading my sentence (maybe because you thought it was idiocy), but I said I didn't read the sentence, so how could I have known it was Scripture? Apparently you also didn't read what I said before that, since I also informed you that I was just giving you a dose of your own medicine (for all you know, the links I gave you provided SCRIPTURE in support and therefore YOU would guilty of the same thing!!!) as a reductio ad absurdum.

Anyway, if you'd like to continue this "debate" you can come over to my blog http://perspectivelyspeaking.wordpress.com/ (However, I haven't used that blog in about 2 years and I would no longer endorse everything there. Or if you have your own blog we can take the debate there... although I hope it is conducted a little more rationally.)

I'll respect the request to not post anymore of this here. Any future response will be posted on my blog if necessary.

If it were a lengthy piece, I might believe you didn't read it, but don't waste your time trying to convince me that you didn't read a 2 line statement which you ended up quoting.  I would have read it even if I didn't want to.  You are being disingenuous, and I don't continue discussions with those who are being less than truthful.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 40
josh s blake | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2009 2:45 PM

Yep, I want that, if anyone is still counting votes.

Posts 351
Luuk Dondorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2009 1:53 PM

C.S. Lewis in my Logos library. Yes!

Luuk

Posts 2
Travis Garrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2010 4:15 PM

How does that verse go?  "Freely you have received so sell it"?  Maybe I got that wrong.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2010 5:43 PM

I think Logos has a lot to offer the C. S. Lewis copyright holders in the way of anti-piracy protection. Maybe a Logos representative could now convince them to allow digital publication with the promise of cloud-based termination if unauthorized copies are detected.

The longer they wait, the more missed opportunities for sales. I am alive now and want to purchase these titles. Dead people don't read books.I would be happy to have Lewis works sans Narnia.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1210
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 4 2010 7:46 PM

It's kind of crazy that I can read C. S. Lewis' books online for free, but can't purchase a digital copy.

I developed a desire earlier today to read C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity" but was surprised to learn that it doesn't exist in Logos--from there I found this thread.

I've got the book in hard copy, so I guess I'll read it the hard way...just wish I could leave my digital mark-up/clippings trail in Logos so I'd instantly and continuously benefit from that effort later, long after time has dimmed my recollection of that endeavor.

Posts 3838
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 4 2010 8:32 PM

Ward Walker:
It's kind of crazy that I can read C. S. Lewis' books online for free, but can't purchase a digital copy.

You can purchase a digital copy - just not for LOGOS.  I hope that changes soon.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 19275
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 4 2010 9:27 PM

Floyd Johnson:

Ward Walker:

You can purchase a digital copy - just not for LOGOS.  I hope that changes soon.

As far as I can tell, you can't read C.S. Lewis's books in entirety online for free at Google Books; only previews are available there.

You can purchase digital versions of some of his works for the Kindle, or various other e-book formats directly from HarperCollins: http://www.cslewis.com

Logos has long wished to be able to produce a C.S. Lewis collection but the Estate of C.S. Lewis has had a stranglehold on the rights and had not been allowing anyone to do anything with his works for years. The guardians of his estate must be starting to budge a bit if they've allowed e-books to be produced. Let's hope they soon will follow with permission for Logos to produce them. I don't know of any other Bible software company that has been allowed to.

Posts 5846
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 4 2010 9:30 PM

Rosie Perera:

Floyd Johnson:

Ward Walker:

As far as I can tell, you can't read C.S. Lewis's books in entirety online for free at Google Books; only previews are available there.

I was just looking at that and thinking the same thing. I couldn't even find the preview in the case of Mere Christianity.

Posts 17
Doug Wesney | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 7:12 PM

Another thumbs up vote for the C. S. Lewis collection.  I'll take them all, and if we have to leave behind the Narnia Chronicles so that they can market the movies, toys, action figures, movie-books...fine with me.  I'll take the rest.  Especially the "boring" stuff!

Posts 19275
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 9:39 PM

Doug Wesney:

Another thumbs up vote for the C. S. Lewis collection.  I'll take them all, and if we have to leave behind the Narnia Chronicles so that they can market the movies, toys, action figures, movie-books...fine with me.  I'll take the rest.  Especially the "boring" stuff!

Yes, especially the "boring" stuff. I don't care about having the Narnia set in Logos, in fact I probably would never read them on the computer. I've read them two or three times already in print and will go on reading them in print every decade or so. But his theological works, essays, letters, and even his literary criticism esoteric medievalist scholarly work (A Preface to Milton's Paradise Lost, The Discarded Image, An Experiment in Criticism, Studies in Words, Allegory of Love, etc.) would be awesome to have in Logos!

Nooooo -- please don't tell me there's an Aslan action figure!!!! (Alas, I see that there is. Sad) That's worse than tying him down to the Stone Table and sacrificing him.

Posts 34
St. Columcille | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 24 2010 8:44 AM

I also would vote for it. 

However, CS Lewis also wrote some really good works at Oxford and Cambridge and I am sure his estate does not control these rights as OUP or Cambridge University Press.

The collection of books I have from Oxford on my shelf include:

"Poetry and Prose in the 16th Century"; "The Allegory of Love: A Study in Medieval Tradition"; "The Personal Heresy: A Controversy" (CS Lewis and EMW Tillyard); "Rehabilitation and Other Essays" (OUP facsimile of 1939 reprinted by UMI Books on Demand); and "A Preface to Paradise Lost."

Of the books from Cambridge University Press:

"Studies in Words"; "Studies in Medieval and Renaissance Literature"; "The Discarded Image: An Introduction to Medieval and Renaissance Literature"; "An Experiment in Criticism"; and "Spenser's Images of Life."

Posts 401
Timothy Ha | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 24 2010 3:45 PM

St. Columcille:
However, CS Lewis also wrote some really good works at Oxford and Cambridge and I am sure his estate does not control these rights as OUP or Cambridge University Press.

Good idea!  Maybe these academic works may get to Logos sooner.

JesusChrist.ru - Russian Christian Portal, with free Bible software; Timh.ru - blog

Posts 449
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2010 4:22 PM

Yes, let's please get C. S. Lewis in Logos!

Page 3 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS