C.S. Lewis Collection

Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 57 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 17 2009 5:50 AM

I'm sure this has been suggested before, at least in the Newsgroup. But I would love to have C.S. Lewis in Logos.

Brad

Posts 2421
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 17 2009 6:27 AM

I would too.

Posts 273
Ken Avery | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 17 2009 8:46 AM

1 more vote Yes

Posts 401
Timothy Ha | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 17 2009 9:21 AM

Voting with 8 hands that we have in our family Big Smile

JesusChrist.ru - Russian Christian Portal, with free Bible software; Timh.ru - blog

Posts 8659
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 17 2009 9:28 AM

I would love to have the cash to afford a C.S. Lewis Collection.  Wink

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 10804
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 17 2009 9:54 AM

Brad Fry:

I'm sure this has been suggested before, at least in the Newsgroup. But I would love to have C.S. Lewis in Logos.

Brad

Add my vote to the list. Yes

Jack

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 17 2009 10:10 AM

Thomas C. Black:

I would love to have the cash to afford a C.S. Lewis Collection.  Wink

Is this a hint that you would like someone to give you the cash for it?  First, Logos has to get the rights to publish it which I understand the family is keeping somewhat tight control over.  It's a Brit copyright so I'm not sure when or if it becomes public domain.  If you find someone to bankroll you, point them my way since I could use a little infusion of cash as well.  Devil  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 17 2009 10:50 AM

TimothyHa:

Add 24 more raised hands at my house.   It would be nice to have the complete works including Narnia & The Space Trilogy. But if the family is still making too much money off Narnia to make it affordable I'd  still be happy with just his non-fiction.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3729
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 17 2009 12:23 PM

Matthew C Jones:
TimothyHa:

Add 24 more raised hands at my house.

Is that 32 licenses?  I expect that it is only one vote per license! Smile  But I will add my vote, that takes care of one of the missing licenses.

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 17 2009 1:31 PM

Floyd Johnson:

Matthew C Jones:
TimothyHa:

Add 24 more raised hands at my house.

Is that 32 licenses?  I expect that it is only one vote per license! Smile  But I will add my vote, that takes care of one of the missing licenses.

Blessings,

Floyd

I don't know Floyd,

Here "one license = one vote" might be the way to go. But most churches, including mine, allow children to get saved, tithe and volunteer for work but disallow them to voteNo  Many saved kids behave more Christ-like than their saved parents. (There I go again, veering off topic.)

Posts 73
Chuck Lindsey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 17 2009 1:46 PM

I agree, this would be most welcomed.

Posts 50
Ron Newberry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 17 2009 3:55 PM

ditto

Posts 607
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2009 11:25 AM

The CS Lewis Collection would be a nice addition to my logos library.  Is there any thing in the pipe concerning this?

Blessings-

John

Posts 129
John McComb | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2009 1:36 PM

John Fugh, Jr.:

The CS Lewis Collection would be a nice addition to my logos library.  Is there any thing in the pipe concerning this

We've discussed this topic many times in the past. The C.S. Lewis estate and the publishing house that owns the rights to his material (Harper-Collins I think) keep a very jealous grip on this particular pot of gold. Unless something's changed since the last time it was brought up, neither of these parties has any interest in allowing the distribution of soft copies of Lewis' books in any form. They think it's dangerous. Somebody out there might just wind up with a free, unauthorized  copy somewhere along the line causing the conglomerate lose ten bucks.

Yours in Christ

John

Posts 106
Rob Suggs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2009 1:55 PM

John is right. The family has circled the wagons around the don's intellectual property. It's understandable, and it's their prerogative and right, but you have to think Clive Stapes himself wouldn't be so comfortable with the legacy of his influence being leveraged completely on the basis of cash. He was a generous man who gave away most of the proceeds of his books in his own time, even after he became a best-selling author with his face on the cover of TIME magazine. He spent time writing letters to children and correspondents he would never meet. If "the family" had been around, you wonder if they would have made him charge the tots for his autographed letters.

Many of us quote Lewis frequently. It would be wonderful to be able to search his books, essays, letters, and literary works. 

Posts 273
Ken Avery | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2009 3:32 PM

The irony, the family would probably make more money with the books in electronic media, it is the future.

Posts 129
John McComb | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2009 4:03 PM

Rob Suggs:

John is right. The family has circled the wagons around the don's intellectual property. It's understandable, and it's their prerogative and right, but you have to think Clive Stapes himself wouldn't be so comfortable with the legacy of his influence being leveraged completely on the basis of cash.

I think he's turning over in his grave. Had he known ahead of time that his estate would end up epitomizing greed the way it has (or at least having that appearance of epitomizing greed) I think he would have rewritten his will to pass the rights to his literary work to a church or a bible society or something.

Rob Suggs:

Many of us quote Lewis frequently. It would be wonderful to be able to search his books, essays, letters, and literary works. 

I'll say. Trying to find references to little bits like his flatworld metaphor in this stack of paperbacks is hard work. Some of his books are almost reference works. there's a lot of theology in there (even though Lewis denied being theological). You want to quote the guy and you want your quotes to be accurate. Finding the quotes is not an easy thing to do.

Yours in Christ

John

Posts 129
John McComb | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2009 4:18 PM

KenAvery:

The irony, the family would probably make more money with the books in electronic media, it is the future.

Well, I think they think that making bootleg copies is a lot easier if there are electronic copies floating around all over the place. In fact, I don't think that's true. I think if the electronic copies are well encrypted then it would be much easier just to buy a good scanner and go out and buy paper copies from a book store.

This paranoid attitude seems all the more ludicrous when you consider that the only works of his that are popular enough to make a C.S. Lewis bootleg business venture worth while are his Narnia books. Those are the books that are of least interest as far as bible software goes. The most valuable works along those lines are his apologetic books like "Mere Christianity".

Oh well, that's the way it goes I suppose.

Yours in Christ

John

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2009 6:23 PM

John McComb:

I'll say. Trying to find references to little bits like his flatworld metaphor in this stack of paperbacks is hard work. Some of his books are almost reference works. there's a lot of theology in there (even though Lewis denied being theological). You want to quote the guy and you want your quotes to be accurate. Finding the quotes is not an easy thing to do.

John, Check out today's blog on Logos and see if this solution might help you. Morris Proctor explains how to do a proximity search of Francis Schaeffer . I bet this would work well in finding stuff in C. S. Lewis too.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 15 2009 11:50 AM

John McComb:

John Fugh, Jr.:

The CS Lewis Collection would be a nice addition to my logos library.  Is there any thing in the pipe concerning this

We've discussed this topic many times in the past. The C.S. Lewis estate and the publishing house that owns the rights to his material (Harper-Collins I think) keep a very jealous grip on this particular pot of gold. Unless something's changed since the last time it was brought up, neither of these parties has any interest in allowing the distribution of soft copies of Lewis' books in any form. They think it's dangerous. Somebody out there might just wind up with a free, unauthorized  copy somewhere along the line causing the conglomerate lose ten bucks.

Yours in Christ

John

I just did a little checking on this which I should have done a long time ago.  Under the copyright laws of GB the term of the copyright is the author's life + 70.  That means that, unless there is further revision to the law, the Lewis writings will become public domain in 2033.  At that point the family or the publisher will have nothing to say regarding the matter.  The works of J. R. R. Tolkien will become public domain in 2043.  It may be that whoever holds the copyright for these may be more amenable to their electronic publication.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS