Additional Volumes of Baker Exegetical Commentary!

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1749
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2011 4:43 AM

Joan Korte:

Yes, this is a great set, Joan, and I encourage you to go for it.

Paul Newsome made the suggestion recently in this thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/25187.aspx

Logos got onto it quickly, and it has proved really popular, with already enough users tof it to go to production.

I'm one of those who is already in, as I use the existing 8 volumes of the BECNT on a regular basis.

Posts 897
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2011 4:59 AM

Another budget-buster must-have for me as I have the first 8 w/Platinum and had some of the print volumes before as well.

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 117
Kenny Larsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2011 5:18 AM

Can someone sell this to me? How in your personal opinion does it compare to other commentary sets such as WBC or Pillar?

Thanks,

Kenny

Posts 30476
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2011 5:22 AM

Kenny Larsen:

Can someone sell this to me? 

Sell what to you Kenny? The Baker Exegetical Commentary volume 2 is on Pre-Pub. It is not out yet!

Kenny Larsen:

How in your personal opinion does it compare to other commentary sets such as WBC or Pillar?

I think they are excellent, and have pre-ordered them.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 117
Kenny Larsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2011 5:46 AM

Thanks! Normally I try to only pre-pub things I'll almost certainly buy (although this matters less when it's already got enough orders to be developed!) Was mostly looking for some comments on how they compare to other commentaries.

Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2011 5:55 AM

Allen Browne:
I'm one of those who is already in, as I use the existing 8 volumes of the BECNT on a regular basis

Yes, I, too, have had the earlier volumes since they first came out and use them for all my NT work; these additional volumes are "must haves" for me.  The only way to go, then, is to get them on pre-pub because their price will shoot up after they are out of pre pub and then, I would be looking for a sale down the road.  Some day....

Posts 30476
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2011 6:02 AM

Kenny Larsen:

Can someone sell this to me? How in your personal opinion does it compare to other commentary sets such as WBC or Pillar?

Sorry Kenny! I must have misunderstood you. When you said "sell this to me," I didn't realize you meant "convince me to pre-order it." You probably should have said "Can someone sell me on this?" Smile

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2011 6:03 AM

I'm thinking the price may not change a whole lot after release.  I am trying to manage my financial resources responsibly.  I have & use the original set and like them.  I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from ordering them now, but I was wondering if anyone has a thought on this.  The ratio of retail to actual price is about the same as the original set.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 117
Kenny Larsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2011 6:40 AM

Sorry Alabama, by your name I assume you are the other side of the pond to me, clearly a phrase which is used differently in each place! It's amazing how often similar phrases have different meanings...Smile

Posts 2937
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2011 6:42 AM

I find this Baker set to be of the highest quality. The scholarship is as good as Word Biblical or NICOTINE/NT, but it is a bit less technical. This set is an asset to anyone.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2011 7:27 AM

thank you for bringing this to my attention! I might have not noticed....

These are great volumes and I've now preordered!

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2011 7:38 AM

Its a little expensive but I am in for now. we'll see how my finances are when production come around...hopefully not to soon.

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 30476
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2011 12:10 PM

Well, It moved into "Under Development" today. I guess they "gathered" enough "interest." Funny.

What's NOT so funny is that it looks like these resources will not be available on iOS devices. See screen shot:

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2011 12:58 PM

alabama24:
What's NOT so funny is that it looks like these resources will not be available on iOS devices.

I believe Logos will make them available, the other eight volumes are on iOS.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 30476
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2011 2:29 PM

Jerry - 

I hope you are right, but it is not Logos, but rather Baker which must make them available. Logos has already stated that it is their goal to make as many of our resources available to us on as many devices as possible. Unfortunately, many of the publishers don't agree. I find it hard to believe that they just forgot to include the iOS logo... Hopefully they are just negotiating and want to be cautious about promises before the ink is dried on a deal.

Posts 3
Scott Clements | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2011 3:09 PM

It was mentioned in an earlier post that the first 8 volumes of the Baker Exegetical Commentary is included in the Platinum Level, but I don't see it listed in the comparison chart.  I'm interested in the commentaries and can upgrade from Gold to Platinum for almost the same price as the initial eight volumes.  Can anyone shed any light on this for me?  Thanks, Scott

Posts 1848
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2011 3:24 PM

Scott Clements:
Can anyone shed any light on this for me? 

Hi Scott, if my memory does not fail me, Baker requested Logos to take them out of their base package options. Unfortunately, there were a few more publishers who requested to be brought out of base packages also.

Edit: For complete information on the changes from "LE" to "KF" see this thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/28219.aspx

Posts 592
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2011 4:01 PM

Rick:
Hi Scott, if my memory does not fail me, Baker requested Logos to take them out of their base package options.

Yes...See http://community.logos.com/forums/p/30718/227730.aspx

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2011 6:06 PM

I have the first eight, but it's a shame Logos had to pull them from the Platinum base package. At least they are priced at about the same rate per volume as this pre-pub addition is.

I took Dr. Stein's "Exegesis of Mark" at SBTS in '97 or '98. It will be great having this volume.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS