Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 40 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 4 2009 5:31 AM

I currently have Logos 3 running on Win XP (SP3) via VMware Fusion 3 on my MBP (SL 10.6.1). All of my resources are in a shared folder on the "Mac side" of my computer. With regards to Logos 4's indexing and overall performance, does it matter where my resources are located (shared folder or Windows folder)?

Thanks!!!

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 7:31 AM

Otto,

Logos 4 will automatically copy resources into its folder, resource location cannot be changed. It will then index the resources and also store the index within its folder structure so it will take a bit of disk space on the Windows side.

Hopefully Logos 4 for Mac will come along fast enough that virtual machines can be ditched soonish.

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:17 AM

Thanks Chris!!! I may need to get a larger hard drive!!!

How does L4 perform in a virtual machine - much better than L3???

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:29 AM

Actually, L4 performs worse than L3 in a VM. If you do get things up and running there are some settings that need to be changed to speed things up. See http://www.seektheholy.com/2009/11/02/introducing-logos-4/#mac for a little more on this.

With VMWare Fusion 3 things might be snappier, I have not yet tested it enough to say for sure but in VMWare Fusion 2 some settings will need to be changed.

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 2:46 PM

Thanks again Chris. I am running Fusion 3, and it is faster than Fusion 2 for the most part. I hope this helps when I do install this weekend. I'd be interested to hear the results of your testing with Fusion 3. And Logos 4 for Macs would be awesome, especially if it's on par with the Windows versions regarding features!!!

(I'm in NY tonight working on ESPN's coverage of the World Series. Prior to learning about Logos 4, I was hoping for a 7 game series. Now I want the Yankees to wrap it up tonight so I can get home and start working with Logos 4!!!)

Posts 319
Michael Hite | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 3:30 PM

I have discovered that Win XP performs much better in Fusion 3 if you install it as a new VM. Something must change in the reinstall process, but it is much snappier than just upgrading to Fusion 3.

2015 13" MacBook Pro - 2 Ghz Intel i7 - 16 GB RAM - 500GB SSD - 2018 iMac Pro - 3.2GHz 8-core Xeon - both systems running OS 10.14.3 (Mojave)

Posts 91
Rick Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 6:59 PM

I'm using fusion also on my MacBook pro, dual core, 4 gb ram. 

On the fusion website it says don't tell fusion you have 2 core, unless you have 3, or 4 cores.

Also I gave fusion 2 gb of ram to use. 

Any other settings (other then the one above about disabling 3-d) that you can think of?

www.twitter.com/Rick_Smith

Posts 10826
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 7:03 PM

RickSmith:

I'm using fusion also on my MacBook pro, dual core, 4 gb ram. 

…Any other settings (other then the one above about disabling 3-d) that you can think of?

Be sure to give the virtual hard drive plenty of room. L4 failed indexing due to insufficient HD space.

Jack

Posts 91
Rick Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 7:10 PM

Hmmm..do you actually get it hard drive space?  I thought Fusion expanded as needed...

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:02 PM

Rick,

When you set up the virtual machine you have to specify the size of the virtual hard drive. It will report that size to Windows but it will only allocate what you actually use. Tell it you want a 50 gig hard drive but only use 25 gig and it will only take up 25 gig. Use 50 gig, however, and it has hit its limit and won't get bigger.

If you make a separate partition for the virtual machine, which gives better performance, then it will take up the specified amount of space from the start with, again, no expansion when things fill up.

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 11:49 AM

I finished installing Logos 4 on my Win XP virtual machine (Fusion 3) and made the recommended changes - I'm pleasantly surprised that Logos 4 runs significantly better than Logos 3 on my MBP. I've only just barely scratch the surface at exercising Logos 4 (only done speed searches of entire library and used exegetical guide); however, I can certainly live with the performance I have now on my virtual machine until I install a Windows 7 bootcamp partition and/or the Mac version is ready.

Posts 733
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 11:57 AM

Same here - it runs quite nicely under Fusion 2 for me.  I'm quite content to continue using it this way until the Mac version catches up over the next few months...

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 12:04 PM

Hi Otto and JH.

Please consider helping us Beta test.  The more folks who contribute and find bugs, the faster this will progress

Mac Beta

PLUS, the cool news is that ALL your settings, notes and work in the Windows updates to the Mac--right now the Alpha syns every setting I have been able to confirm.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 12:32 PM

Thanks Joe - I'm planning to. I also downloaded the Mac version when I upgraded - just need to install it and get going...

Posts 733
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 12:37 PM

Joe, I'm also running both.  I'll be following closely the Mac Beta forums as things progress (and adding to them too).

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:25 PM

Otto and JH, glad to hear I will have plenty of company. 

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 59
Chris Gardner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:10 PM

I may head over there and help out as well.  Want to get this thing working well.  

Chris

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 8:36 PM

JH:

Same here - it runs quite nicely under Fusion 2 for me.  I'm quite content to continue using it this way until the Mac version catches up over the next few months...

Would you mind sharing your settings? It is sluggish for me in Fusion 2, but snappy in Parallels 5 trial. I haven't tried the Fusion 3 trial, because I don't know if I can go back to 2 after that and am not ready to upgrade. If I could get it running comfortably on Fusion 2 until the Mac version is up to speed, I will be content.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 5:58 AM

Michael, how do you install Fusion 3 as a new VM? I'm currently using Fusion 2 and would like to upgrade, if it will help with the Logos 4 performance. Thanks!

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 6:05 AM

I'm not Michale, but here's the steps on how to do it and a few settings to experiment with:

1.Upgrade Fusion to version 3 (just install it)

2. Then after you have started Fusion go File-->New then create a new virtual machine by inserting your XP disk.

3. After you have the machine built, go into Fusion's settings for that virtual machine and allocate 2GB of Ram (if you can spare it) and turn off graphics acceleration

4. On your XP desktop, right click and click Properties-->Settings-->Advance -->Troubleshoot and turn the Hardware acceleration to just one step above off.

5. After you have installed Logos V4, once it is running you can run tasgmgr.exe and right click the Logos4.exe process under the "Process" tab and set the priority as "high"

All these things seem to make for a fairly snappy machine for me and has been quite useable.

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS