Galatians

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 4 2011 8:52 AM

Anyone know of a good resource for studying Galatians?  Specifically Gal 5:13-15?  My search (probably done incorrectly) provides a bunch of resources and I was hoping to narrow it down some.

Thanks for any guidance.

Posts 117
Kenny Larsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 4 2011 9:00 AM

Hi Michael,

I'm not sure how you've done the search, but one of the most useful things I have done with Logos is create collections of my books (think of it as different shelves). This allows me to search just within one collection and limit the results to the type of information I'm interested in.

See here:

http://wiki.logos.com/Collections

and here:

http://wiki.logos.com/Example_Collections

Sorry I don't have any specific recommendations!

Kenny

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 4 2011 9:03 AM

Thanks Kenny.   I have been going through the videos and have found them useful, but I am still overwhelmed.  I will watch the videos on collections and see if I can figure them out.

I appreciate the information.

Edit:  Hey, that is pretty cool!  Thanks for the help!

Posts 769
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 4 2011 9:04 AM

Run a passage guide on your passage. All of your commentaries, along with several other tools, will show up.

Posts 5463
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 4 2011 5:00 PM

My favorite commentary on Love is John 14-15 & 1 John, especially 1 Jn. 2:3-6 & 1 Jn. 5:2-3.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 4 2011 5:50 PM

Michael:

My search (probably done incorrectly) provides a bunch of resources and I was hoping to narrow it down some.

Michael,

Can you tell us what base package you have and what additions to that (especially commentaries) you might have added?

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1749
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 4 2011 7:28 PM

Three suggestions:

1. Open the Passage Guide (Guides menu), and enter:  Gal 5:13-15

2. Open the Library window (second icon from the left, and enter:  Title:Galatia

3. Open a Search window, and do a Basic search in your Entire Library for this passage (using angle brackets to indicate the verses):

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 4 2011 7:41 PM

Michael:

Anyone know of a good resource for studying Galatians?  Specifically Gal 5:13-15?  My search (probably done incorrectly) provides a bunch of resources and I was hoping to narrow it down some.

Thanks for any guidance.

This is the exact type of situation that I see my Reading lists helping out with. Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to Galatians yet. The problem with this type of search is that if you want to find resources other then your commentaries for this specific passage you either have to weed through an enormous amount of library hits of everywhere Gal 5:13-15 is used or limit the resources you look at and risk missing other great sections. My method is to search the large text (headers) for anywhere Galatians is used and then organize the results according to the passage the article is focusing on. This is extremely beneficial if you have the Theological Journals.

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 5 2011 9:13 AM

Mark Smith:

Michael:

My search (probably done incorrectly) provides a bunch of resources and I was hoping to narrow it down some.

Michael,

Can you tell us what base package you have and what additions to that (especially commentaries) you might have added?

Mark,

I have the Bible Study library.  I've added the Tyndale commentaries and the Life Application Commentaries.  I've added a few other commentaries, but they're specific to other books of the Bible.  I am not opposed to adding additional commentaries (if within my budget).  if there are commentaries you think would be beneficial, please let me know.  I am a layperson just looking to expand my understanding of the Bible, so scholarly works are probably a bit too much for me.

I did do as Kenny suggested and made a "collection"  using "type:commentary and galatians", which narrowed my search to three books.  That gives me a start.  I also made collections for Romans and John.  It's amazing what Logos does, and I fear that I have only scratched the surface.

I thank everyone for their help.

Mike

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 5 2011 10:19 AM

The Tyndale volume on Galatians is not one of the stronger ones in that series. One of my favorite commentaries on Galatians is in the New American Commentary (NAC) series and is authored by Timothy George. It is quite accessible for a layperson as the New American Commentary is written for both laypersons and pastors.

This volume is available individually: http://www.logos.com/product/2035/the-new-american-commentary-galatians

The NAC is part of some more expensive Logos collections (Scholar's Silver and above). It would be expensive to buy separately ($500). That money would be better to spend on a library upgrade (to Scholar's Silver) in my opinion.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 5 2011 10:32 AM

Great!  I'll pick that up tonight when I get home.  I can afford the individual commentary, but upgrading is a bit out of reach right now.  I appreciate the help.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 5 2011 6:47 PM

Noticed "The NET Bible" has several footnotes in Galatians 5:13-15 (includes some metaphor insights).

Observation: Scholar's Gold and above include United Bible Society (UBS) Handbooks:

Wiki Logos Resource Reviews => UBS New Testament Handbook Series and UBS Old Testament Handbook Series

Lexham Discourse Greek New Testament includes emphasis: (words moved within sentence for emphasis)

Personally added visual filter with orange wavy lines.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS