Bibliography & account summary reports Logos 4

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:12 AM

I did a "clean" install of my Logos 4 upgrade onto my Vista desktop since my ver 3 laptop only had a few GB space left. After a whole day of downloading and indexing 11.7GB it tells me it is finished. Everything functions beautifully without hiccups. But I notice there are resources still missing from my libary. (NICOT/NICNT in particular.) I don't know my way around the new interface yet and have trouble searching the new posts - 1 per minute - to find the info:

Can I run "account summary" to see my list of licenses?
Can I run a bibliography to find what titles are installed & licensed?
Can I run a bibliography of licensed but missing titles?
Can I run a bibliography of installed but locked resources?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 699
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:16 AM

Matthew there are no reports that the user can generate like those you mention from V3. The "all-knowing" cloud does everything... :)

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:18 AM

Matt,

the answer is ....

No.

the only thing that you can do is to look in your library to see if specific things are not there.

But a word of caution...things might still be downloading...it's not a fully "one download does it all" sort of thing...

type into the command line:

update resources

and it should check and start a download of everything you have a license for...if not...call Logos....

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:22 AM

Matthew C Jones:
Can I run "account summary" to see my list of licenses?
Can I run a bibliography of installed but locked resources?

We had a similar discussion in the Beta group. Logos may release a Bibliography report at some time. I'm not aware of any simple way to see what licenses you have other than from your "My Account > Order History" information at the Logos web site (though this only goes back to 2003).

In L4 there will not be any installed but locked resources. L4 does not allow installing locked resources, and will not index them if you copy them there.

I hope Logos does allow us to check their records against ours at some point. It would save some anxiety among some, and might even catch a few glitches in Logos' database for a few users. But there's nothing yet.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:25 AM

Robert Pavich:

But a word of caution...things might still be downloading...it's not a fully "one download does it all" sort of thing...

type into the command line:

update resources

and it should check and start a download of everything you have a license for...if not...call Logos....

Yes, I noticed after 11.7GB had downloaded, indexed, installed and worked: the program went back for another 577mb download (only 53 minutes this time.)

I have "synchronize" turned on in settings. When I type "upgrade now" it does go and check and reports back "everything up to date." I will re-synch my Version 3 laptop (w/ NICOT/NICNT ) with the mothership and see if it returns the favor to my Logos 4 orphan.Time

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:31 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
Logos may release a Bibliography report at some time. I'm not aware of any simple way to see what licenses you have other than from your "My Account > Order History" information at the Logos web site (though this only goes back to 2003).

I just had a thought:

When I run account summary on my Version 3 laptop it DOES show my new upgrade and the contents. Since it lists all the licensed titles in the account summary even though the resource files are not on my laptop, does this mean it is generating the report from the Logos servers? If so, I can run bibliography from Version 3 to see the licenses I have under 4! ........No??

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:58 AM

Matthew C Jones:

Richard DeRuiter:
Logos may release a Bibliography report at some time. I'm not aware of any simple way to see what licenses you have other than from your "My Account > Order History" information at the Logos web site (though this only goes back to 2003).

I just had a thought:

When I run account summary on my Version 3 laptop it DOES show my new upgrade and the contents. Since it lists all the licensed titles in the account summary even though the resource files are not on my laptop, does this mean it is generating the report from the Logos servers? If so, I can run bibliography from Version 3 to see the licenses I have under 4! ........No??

Hah! Never thought of that. Sync your licenses in L3 and you should be able to see at least your licenses. I'm not sure if the bibliography will show L4 only resources, or resources you don't physically have on your drive. But try it and let us know.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 9:13 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

Hah! Never thought of that. Sync your licenses in L3 and you should be able to see at least your licenses. I'm not sure if the bibliography will show L4 only resources, or resources you don't physically have on your drive. But try it and let us know.

Here is the deal:

After I synch the Version 3 laptop when I run "account summary" it displays ALL my licenses including version 3 and version 4 titles. It does show NICOT/NICNT even though the actual resources are not on the laptop because I ran out of space (down to 1GB now.)

I just figured it out!   My NICOT/NICNT product is installed but missing the activation code in account summary. I'm sure that is the problem. I'll report back after it's straightened out. Meanwhile: YES WE CAN run an account summary under version three that will display our version 4 unlocked content. Whoopie!

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 9:27 AM

Matthew C Jones:
I just figured it out!   My NICOT/NICNT product is installed but missing the activation code in account summary. I'm sure that is the problem. I'll report back after it's straightened out. Meanwhile: YES WE CAN run an account summary under version three that will display our version 4 unlocked content. Whoopie!

Very cool. I'd give it a try, but I gotta run to a meeting away from the computer. Very cool.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 11:21 AM

My Version 3 laptop is acting wierd. When I opened Logos 3.0 it said I needed to activate my Logos 3 installation. Using my User ID and the e-mail option I "successfully" activated my product. Account Summary did not show the NICOT/NICNT install at all this time. (Before it showed the serial number but no activation code. So, I re-installed NICOT/NICNT and synched the licenses with the server "successfully." I also remembered to open & close Logos 3.0 twice. Now my library shows the NICOT/NICNT volumes but "Account Summary" still does not show the serial or activation for them. When I check Logos 4 and tell it to "upgrade now" it says, everything is up to date, but there is no NICOT/NICNT in the library.

Also, an aside: My Account Summary in the Version 3 install does list some resources under "Portfolio" resources but many are not listed (Baker Exegetical Commentary, History of the Jew in Jesus Time...)

I am glad I copied the contents list of the Portfolio package while I was considering the purchase because right now I can not find the resources and there is no license info that enumerates the total package. The fog is getting thick in the cloud. I just hope my library doesn't vaporize. Storm   Lightning  Storm

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 11:35 AM

Matthew C Jones:

This has been one of my biggest complaints about LBS4!!  You are not allowed to run a bibliography or in any way to print a list of what you have.  Now they keep saying 'Trust us to get it right'.  

OK - here's a problem - anyone got a solution?????  

On my desktop, I have 6067 unlocked resources.  On my laptop, I have the same number of identical resources, 6067.  In LDS4 however, I have 4225 resources on my desktop but only 4223 resources on my laptop.  This same discrepancy of two resources has been present all through the beta testing process.  

HOW DO I DETERMINE WHAT ARE THE MISSING 2???  This would be easy under LDS3 - I'd simply run a bibliography on both and compare the spreadsheet.

WHAT IS LOGOS' PROBLEM WITH THIS - It surely can't be that big a deal to program a bibliography into LDS4 surely!

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 1:06 PM

Alex Scott:

HOW DO I DETERMINE WHAT ARE THE MISSING 2???  This would be easy under LDS3 - I'd simply run a bibliography on both and compare the spreadsheet.

WHAT IS LOGOS' PROBLEM WITH THIS - It surely can't be that big a deal to program a bibliography into LDS4 surely!

Okay, deep breath. First, subtract from your number all the PBB's. Then subtract all the help files. Then subtract all the resources with video and/or audio. Then realize that L4 combines the reverse interlinears with the standard Bible (so there's only one ESV rev.int., not an ESV and an ESV rev.int., e.g.)

Now what's left?

I agree that a built-in Bibliography would be nice, and I believe we'll get one. But it has not yet risen to the top of the priority list for Logos. Be patient, I think we'll get there soon.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 1:15 PM

Alex Scott:

This same discrepancy of two resources has been present all through the beta testing process.  

(First,  I remember on one multi-volume set Logos combines two titles into one resource (TWICE) . I think it was a commentary set that had a volume 1 & 2 for one work  because the book form was hefty and cumbersome. That might be the source of discrepancy. Or it might not. )

Second: I have successfully installed NICOT/NICNT on my Version 3 laptop, synch-ed the licenses and see it in my library on that laptop. When I fire up my desktop with Logos 4 it says it has synchronization turned on. I "force" it to update now and it reports, "synchronizing, all resources up to date." Still no sign of NICOT/NICNT. I have a feeling other titles are missing too but have no comprehensive list to check them by. Comparing the two computers' numbers doesn't help because of the PBB I have on the Version 3.

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 1:22 PM

Come on Richard - reread the problem.  This is NOT about why there are fewer resources in L4 than L3 but why on two computers with exactly the same resources in L3, that there are 2 less in L4 on one computer than the second one.  Obviously there are two missing under L4 - L4 is supposed to take care of that.  How can I be confident that I have all the resources I'm supposed to have when one computer tells me one thing, and another computer with the same licences and resources tells me something else.  Suppose I had only one computer - one would tell me that I have 5223 resources and I should feel confident that I have everything while someone else using another computer would have 5225.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 1:32 PM

Alex Scott:
Come on Richard - reread the problem

Aha. I did reread and see that I did miss your main point. Sorry. Never was a detail guy and thought you were asking a question I had the beginning of an answer to. So, let that be a lesson to me.

I can't think of any reason two computers with the same license should have a different number of resources, assuming both are up to date and there is nothing left to download from the home office in Bellingham.

Besides comparing the resource directories on two computers, I don't know of a way to identify which ones are missing (or should that be added?).

You're right that it would be helpful to have a bibliography report for this. It would be massive for your library, and it would be so easy to miss two needles in a haystack of that size, but it would probably be easier than looking at esoteric file names and trying to figure it out from there.

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 1:55 PM

Have y'all tried "Update Resources"?

This will perform a complete scan of your resource directory.

"Update Now" checks for incremental upgrades.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 2:16 PM

Damian McGrath:

Yup, and put it in the box next to "shortcuts"... Is that wrong?

It appears to search my library for "update resources"

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 2:17 PM
It shouldn't search your library. It's a recognised command.
Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 2:25 PM

Damian McGrath:

Damian, it was my understanding from the Beta group that this command was not intended to be used except as directed by a support tech. The other is not documented in the help file because Logos doesn't want there servers hit by people 'just checking to make sure' every few minutes.

The solution seems appropriate for this issue, but I've refrained from suggesting it based on what was said in the beta forums.

Did you understand this differently?

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 2:27 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

Damian McGrath:

Did you understand this differently?

Obviously, or I wouldn't have recommended it.

But, I'll refrain from doing so again.....

Thanks Rich.

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS