Bibliography & account summary reports Logos 4

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 27036
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 2:35 PM

Alex Scott:
In LDS4 however, I have 4225 resources on my desktop but only 4223 resources on my laptop.  This same discrepancy of two resources has been present all through the beta testing process.

At a rough guess, look for "Sermons of <Alex>" and a "BHS Westminster..." title on desktop!

Alex Scott:
HOW DO I DETERMINE WHAT ARE THE MISSING 2???

I use a sync program with some nifty filters. This pic shows titles missing from L4 (L3 orphans).

The orphans are what I expect. I hid EBUQSG.lbxlls in L4 and the reverse interlinear files are not used by L4.

Note on Filters used:

An alignment filter allows *.lbxlls files to be compared with *.logos4 files having the same filename, else there would be more orphans!

PBB files and Logos Help files are excluded by a file filter for *.lbxoeb because they are not used in L4 (my PBB files are in the sub-folder PBB).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 9151
LogosEmployee

Alex Scott:

On my desktop, I have 6067 unlocked resources.  On my laptop, I have the same number of identical resources, 6067.  In LDS4 however, I have 4225 resources on my desktop but only 4223 resources on my laptop.  This same discrepancy of two resources has been present all through the beta testing process.  

Sorry that I missed your post on this (or perhaps saw it and didn't fully understand the issue) during the beta—this is the kind of issue we wanted to get straightened out before release.

Did you have the resource count discrepancy before the hidden resources feature was added? One possibility that springs to mind is that the desktop is incorrectly showing two resources that you have asked to be hidden.

If you look at the "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Logos4\Data\...\ResourceManager\Resources" folder on the desktop and laptop, do they have the same number of files? If there are two more on the desktop, what are those files?

Since you were a beta tester, it's possible that a bug in one of the betas could have prevented resources from being downloaded properly. Because of this, I would advise using the "update resources" command on the laptop to force a full scan and update of your resources.

Posts 98
Tim Lord | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 11:06 AM

HI, Dave.  What is the name of the Synch program you use?  I would find that program useful.  Thanks.

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:41 PM

Tim Lord:

HI, Dave.  What is the name of the Synch program you use?  I would find that program useful.  Thanks.

Not Dave, but it's "Beyond Compare" and it is excellent. I got it on Dave's recommendation

Posts 33424
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:24 PM

Damian McGrath:
but it's "Beyond Compare" and it is excellent

I use the program for a different purpose and recommend it as well.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 62
Tony Garland | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 8:24 PM

Partly because I'm paranoid about being able to access my books in situations where I may have to reinstall without internet access (e.g., while out on a boat) and partly because I'm someone who tries to track details, I've maintained a spreadsheet containing both the serial number and the activation code for all the books I've purchased over the years.  Much of this information was also nice to get by way of the "Account Summary" report available in Logos 3.

I have several questions about the situation in Logos 4 (which I understand does not presently have the "Account Summary" feature):

• Is this a feature which will be forthcoming in Logos 4?
  • If not, will this information be obtainable in print/textual/digital form from the Logos website (e.g., "the cloud")?
  • How important are the activation codes?  I'm guessing they are critical for reinstalling/activating locked resources for situations where you have to wipe a hard drive or face a reinstall where internet access to Logos for synchronizing licenses is not available?
  • If a person were to sell a particular book to someone else (assuming that is legitimate to do--not that I've had any reason to so far), wouldn't both the serial number and activation code be needed?

In short, I'm concerned about the ability to freely access/reinstall my books in situations where Logos is not available via the internet and thought that having all the activation codes was one way to mitigate this possibility. 

Another 'safety' feature I used with Logos 3 was the backup/restore licenses in order to manually backup license data in digital form.  Is this available in Logos 4? If not, will it be?

I'm just not entirely thrilled by having thousands of dollars in study resources that all depend upon Logos being available over the internet when and if I have to reinstall at any time in the future.

Excuse me if this has been discussed already (or somewhere else) as I'm relatively new to the forum.

Posts 27036
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 9:08 PM

AnthonyCGarland:
Is this a feature which will be forthcoming in Logos 4?

If not, will this information be obtainable in print/textual/digital form from the Logos website (e.g., "the cloud")?

No. But a Bibliography Report is forthcoming.

AnthonyCGarland:
How important are the activation codes?  I'm guessing they are critical for reinstalling/activating locked resources for situations where you have to wipe a hard drive or face a reinstall where internet access to Logos for synchronizing licenses is not available?

Your backup licence file is sufficient in L3 and you can ask Logos Support to email your L4 licence to you (I have mine, together with instructions for its use). The activation codes may be useful as proof of purchase, but not essential for recovery.

AnthonyCGarland:
If a person were to sell a particular book to someone else (assuming that is legitimate to do--not that I've had any reason to so far), wouldn't both the serial number and activation code be needed?

Normally, the "cloud" or Logos support have all the details needed to perform a change. If there was doubt about your ownership then you do have some proof!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 9:17 PM

AnthonyCGarland:

In short, I'm concerned about the ability to freely access/reinstall my books in situations where Logos is not available via the internet and thought that having all the activation codes was one way to mitigate this possibility. 

Another 'safety' feature I used with Logos 3 was the backup/restore licenses in order to manually backup license data in digital form.  Is this available in Logos 4? If not, will it be?

I'm just not entirely thrilled by having thousands of dollars in study resources that all depend upon Logos being available over the internet when and if I have to reinstall at any time in the future.

As I spend more time delving into the contents of my Logos 4 library I become more concerned that my Version 3 installation and Version 4 installation are NOT synchronizining exactly with the "mother ship."  Case in point: I just discovered I do not have The Nehemiah Institute Worldview Collection in Logos 4. I KNOW I had it installed and activated in Version 3. Now it is locked in my Version 3 laptop and, of course, does not even appear in my Version 4 resources. How I "lost" an installed resource does not concern me so much as I DID lose it. I would really like to have a Bibliography report capability and "Account Summary" with Version 4.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 15 2010 5:03 PM

Dave Hooton:

AnthonyCGarland:
Is this a feature which will be forthcoming in Logos 4?

If not, will this information be obtainable in print/textual/digital form from the Logos website (e.g., "the cloud")?

No. But a Bibliography Report is forthcoming.

The account summary is the only reason I'm still keeping Logos 3 installed.  It shows all the resources I have bought, even in Logos 4, together with the activation keys.  The website does not show resources I bought some years ago, so there is no other list of all my resources currently available.

Yes, I could just trust Logos to hold the information for me, but the failure of rival companies to do this well is what has pushed me towards Logos.  I'm sure there are a good number of us who would be happier if we had a full list available for our own files, whether from the website or an account summary.  I'd like to uninstall Logos 3 to free up space and I'd like to be able to trust Logos, but reduced functionality and a plea to "trust us" well into the future with thousands of dollars worth of resources are not overly convincing or comforting.  Is there a good reason for not providing an account summary in L4, given that we have had one in the past?  Is there something else planned to replace it?

Thanks for reading this.  It seems to reflect a concern that keeps coming up in diverse places throughout the forums.  Perhaps a FAQs web page could address these and similar issues, so that users do not have to traipse through Forum posts.  Then Forum posts could simply point to the relevant FAQs page(s) and less time would be spent doubling up information.

Logos does lots of things well, Big Smile but I'm not sure that their customer relations are as efficient as they might be (for company or users) when they depend so heavily on forums.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 15 2010 5:09 PM

Andrew,

When Dave wrote his post some months ago there was not way to generate a Bibliography. Now there its. It doesn't have activation keys like Logos 3 did (but Logos 4 is moving away from those). Here's a wiki page on how to make it work http://wiki.logos.com/Bibliography

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 15 2010 5:30 PM

Thanks, Kevin.  A very fast response.  I thought I remembered something about Bibliographies coming on board, and your comment about moving away from activation keys makes sense.  At the moment, I have good internet access, so I'd be happy with the website showing a list of all my old resources (pre-2003, judging by an earlier comment in this thread).  It might not have the details of the normal order history, but it would at least recognize that I have purchased them, assuring me they hadn't been forgotten.

As for the FAQs idea, it seems that Bob Pritchett has posted some especially useful posts that explain the company position on a number of issues.  Could these be collected together, or at least linked to, from one centralized location?

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 15 2010 6:22 PM

If you find one of Bob's posts you can click on the number under his name and it should give you a list of his posts. Personally, I have have some RSS feeds for several Logos employees so I don't miss any "official words." (You can subscribe to someone on the profile page)

I suppose if someone wanted to one could create a wiki-page with links to things Bob P has said; I don't think that's been done. However, there is FAQ and other helpful stuff on wiki.logos.com

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS