Can We Have A Way To Manage Automatic Installations In Resources That Undergo New Versions?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 60
Rev. Nannette La Fosse | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 8 2011 8:34 AM

Hi:

I just want to ask if there is a way to avoid that LOGOS automatically install a new version of a resource and replace the old one. For example the NIV. I wanted to keep the original version that I got, but once the new came out, it was installed automatically. There are some resources [specially commentaries from authors that are no longer around] that experiment revisions, expanded information, etc. through big updates and actualizations that changes the original document significantly. I would like to have the option of keeping the old and the new one separated and not replaced. I am not referring about updates because of typos errors, but a real replacement and revision. Can we get the option of selecting something like: "Do you want to replace? Do you want to put in a separate folder? Etc?

Rev. Nannette La Fosse

Posts 117
Kenny Larsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 8:37 AM

With the NIV, the old NIV has become NIV84 and should still be in your library. One hopes that will be the case for other resource updates.

Kenny

Posts 60
Rev. Nannette La Fosse | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 10:47 AM

Hi Kenny:

I was searching my resourses and can't find NIV 84. I only have the new one.

Rev. Nannette La Fosse

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 10:51 AM

Nannette,

I'm afraid I too have both the NIV 2011 and NIV 84 in my resources with a resource search of "niv".  the 1984 is in parenthesis for the older version (blue cover) and no date is indicated for the 2011 version (yellow cover)

Posts 9181
LogosEmployee

Rev. Nannette La Fosse:

For example the NIV. I wanted to keep the original version that I got, but once the new came out, it was installed automatically.

Hi Nannette,

I checked your account, and our records show that you have only purchased a "KF" series product. As per the explanation of changes in KF, the 1984 NIV and TNIV were removed and replaced with the 2011 NIV in that package.

As far as I can tell, the original NIV was not replaced with the new NIV in your library, but you had the 2011 NIV all along. The update you saw recently was just a change we made to fix some paragraph formatting (no Bible text was changed).

A discussion of how to buy the 1984 NIV can be found here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/35132.aspx

Posts 60
Rev. Nannette La Fosse | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 11:57 AM

Thank you Bradley. No way to get TNIV? I already saw the 84 in the web, but could not find the order [TNIV] in the resources. What about the commentary sets? I heard that The Expositor's Bible Commentary is going to get an updated edition. I want to keep the original. How does that work? Do you install or you present as an upgrade to buy?

Rev. Nannette La Fosse

Posts 30482
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 12:24 PM

Bradley Grainger:

A discussion of how to buy the 1984 NIV can be found here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/35132.aspx

Bradley - 

There was some discussion that the NIV84 might not be available in the future. Do you know if there are plans to pull it? I understand that this is largely a zondervan issue.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 12:30 PM

Rev. Nannette La Fosse:
I heard that The Expositor's Bible Commentary is going to get an updated edition. I want to keep the original. How does that work? Do you install or you present as an upgrade to buy?

When a new edition of a book comes out, you would keep your old edition, and you would need to re-purchase the new edition if you also wanted that. It doesn't happen very often, but sometimes when it does Logos will offer existing users a discount on the newer edition. Even if you take the discount, you'll still be able to keep your old edition.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 30482
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 1:37 PM

Mark Barnes:

When a new edition of a book comes out, you would keep your old edition, and you would need to re-purchase the new edition if you also wanted that. 

I think Mark meant to say "you would need to purchase the new edition..." since the new edition would not have been purchased previously. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9181
LogosEmployee

Rev. Nannette La Fosse:

No way to get TNIV? I already saw the 84 in the web, but could not find the order [TNIV] in the resources.

As far as I can tell, the TNIV is not currently available on logos.com. I don't know why this is, sorry, or if there's any way to get it.

Posts 9181
LogosEmployee

alabama24:

There was some discussion that the NIV84 might not be available in the future. Do you know if there are plans to pull it? I understand that this is largely a zondervan issue.

Logos will respect the publisher's decisions about electronic distribution (or lack thereof); I don't know of any plans to pull it, but it's possible that they could make a decision without giving us much advance warning.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS