Performance Issues

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 37 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 125
GeoPappas | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 15 2011 4:25 AM

I have been a Logos user for many, many years and use it all the time.

My biggest issue with Logos at this time is performance (or lack thereof).  I have a pretty high end machine (quad core, 7200 RPM HDDs, 4 GB memory, etc), but Logos is the worst performing application on my machine (by far).  For example, it takes 10 to 20 seconds just to startup Logos and get to the home page.  Opening a saved layout takes another 5-10 seconds.  It seems that almost everything is in slow motion.

And when I use Logos on my laptop it is even worse.

Does anyone know what the status of improving performance is at this point?

Posts 219
Dennis Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2011 4:32 AM

Welcome to the new Logos!!! Enjoy!!

Posts 30483
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2011 4:33 AM

GeoPappas - 

Quad Core is nice, but 4GB of Ram can hardly be considered "high end." I doubled my standard 4GB to 8GB and did notice a speed improvement in some areas (such as scrolling with interlinears), however much work needs to be done. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 218
John Nerdue | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2011 5:28 AM

GeoPappas:
My biggest issue with Logos at this time is performance (or lack thereof).

That's why I use Logos 3. Smile

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2011 6:20 AM

While I too have 8 GB RAM on my desktop, I bought so much with the experience being this has always been the first bottleneck issue in my past computers... so I doubled what was originally offered.  I think 4 GB of RAM would easily take care of most computing and even gaming software demands today where as most programs would not even benefit from 8 GB.  However Logos does, and we're seeing many Logos users confused as to why their average to low end computers aren't supporting what the program desires.

While I appreciate Logos for being future minded in their development of the program, and I also believe as the userbase's hardware is updated these slowdowns will diminish, I can't help but wonder the many users who have either quit using Logos or tried another route because of the slowness or perceived inadequacy of the program.

To tell users its them (and their machines) and not the program could be perceived wrongly even if it is them.

Posts 27857
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2011 6:40 AM

GeoPappas:

It is ongoing, though I suspect hampered by the need to improve the Feature set to match L3. Improvement for Notes is currently being tested.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 30483
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2011 6:42 AM

Paul Newsome:

To tell users its them (and their machines) and not the program could be perceived wrongly even if it is them.

Paul - 

I hope you don't think I was telling GeoPappas that it was his (or his computers) fault! I agree that users should not be told it's their systems fault when they meet or exceed the recommended system requirements!

http://www.logos.com/support/techfaq

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2011 6:59 AM

GeoPappas:

Code optimization is slowing happening. If you've been with Logos 4 since the beginning you know this has happened and in some areas there has been substantial improvement, so I am hopeful this will continue.

Will L4 ever be as quick in some ways as L3? I doubt it. Different architecture.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2011 7:11 AM

Everything is relative to your perspective.

Out here in the Arizona canyons, you just don't get 'flat space'. And so the Eurovan has ample horses under the hood but abolutely insists on keeping the revs under 3000.

And so a line forms behind .... heh guys, it was designed that way!

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2011 7:19 AM

Dave Hooton:
Improvement for Notes is currently being tested.

Dave, I would say that beta 8 is an improvement to sync process that affects notes, not improvement to notes (both needs work IMHO)

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2011 7:35 AM

GeoPappas:
My biggest issue with Logos at this time is performance (or lack thereof).  I have a pretty high end machine (quad core, 7200 RPM HDDs, 4 GB memory, etc), but Logos is the worst performing application on my machine (by far).  For example, it takes 10 to 20 seconds just to startup Logos and get to the home page.  Opening a saved layout takes another 5-10 seconds.  It seems that almost everything is in slow motion.

10-20 seconds to start and 5-10 to load a saved layout is not that bad for a program of this type. IMHO. I remember Logos3 taking 90 to 120 seconds to start on my previous machine. I would literally start the program and go out to get a cup of coffee and return to watch it finish opening.

But that's not why I'm responding.

The wiki gives some tips on speeding up Logos performance.

Logos running slowly:
http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_Running_Slowly

Speeding up Logos4 responses:
http://wiki.logos.com/Speeding_up_Logos_4_responses

BTW, you can turn off starting with the home page, if you want: On the lower left of the home page (on the status bar) is a "Customize" menu; left-click and unselect "Show home page at startup." (the bottom of that customization list). You can open/close the home page at any time by clicking the house icon at the top left of the Logos4 window.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2011 8:02 AM

alabama24:

Paul Newsome:

Paul - 

I hope you don't think I was telling GeoPappas that it was his (or his computers) fault! I agree that users should not be told it's their systems fault when they meet or exceed the recommended system requirements!

http://www.logos.com/support/techfaq

nah, I actually think Logos inadvertently tells their customers with lower end machines this by creating a program that does not adequately encompass their computer's capabilities.  (Honestly I'm probably just tired of reading about it in the forums... Stick out tongue)

...we can tell other users this all we want and its ok! Yes

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2011 10:33 AM

Paul Newsome:
 (Honestly I'm probably just tired of reading about it in the forums... Stick out tongue)

Anytime a topic gets repeated by different individuals, there is a good reason why the topic continues to be raised.  And the topic will continue to be raised until it has been addressed to the sanctification of the people who are raising the topic.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2011 10:46 AM

and certainly to the sanctification of those reading as well!

Posts 125
GeoPappas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2011 2:08 PM

alabama24:
Quad Core is nice, but 4GB of Ram can hardly be considered "high end."

Sorry to disagree, but when it comes to Logos, my computer is "high end".  It surpasses the required and recommended hardware requirements for Logos by a long shot.  Logos 4 was released over a year and a half ago.  Ever since then, they have been promising to increase performance.  But it simply hasn't happened.  There simply isn't a good reason why Logos is as slow as it is.  Logos needs to step up to the plate and put some resources on this issue.  If someone with a machine like mine is complaining about it being slow, using Logos on an "average" computer must be a lesson in patience.

And in regards to memory, I just ran a test: I started the Windows Task Manager and it showed that the computer was using 2.07 GB of memory (w/o Logos running). I then started Logos and it showed that 2.21 GB of memory was being used.  I then opened a layout that I had saved (which opens 9 tabs) and memory increased to 2.29 GB.  So, in total, Logos used about .22 GB (or 220 MB) of memory.  That is a drop in the bucket compared to the total that is on my machine.  So the 4 GB of memory that I have is way more than enough (when it comes to Logos).

Posts 125
GeoPappas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2011 2:22 PM

Mark Smith:
Will L4 ever be as quick in some ways as L3? I doubt it. Different architecture.

I sure hope that isn't what Logos is telling everyone.  There is no reason why L4 should be slower than L3 (even with a different architecture).  The performance of computers doubles every few years.  When I had L3, my computer was about 3-4x slower than the one that I have now.  L3 was running on a dual core CPU, with far less memory, on slower drives.  So there really isn't a reason why L4 shouldn't be as fast as L3.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2011 2:30 PM

As I understand it, Job was running Logos4 on a netbook.

It was quite 'adversarial'.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2839
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2011 5:13 PM

I strongly recommend turning off the home page on startup because it's pulling from the web and that can slow you down. I'm using just a 2G dual core pentium machine with XP and 512M video card  and it's pretty decent. Logos is improving it and we're near getting another update soon which should make it better still.

More RAM doesn't hurt and it's cheap for what it enables. 

There are visual bells and whistles on the operating systems.  If you don't need them and turn them off, you'll find Logos can run better with what you have and the price is right!

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 27857
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2011 7:29 PM

tom collinge:
Dave, I would say that beta 8 is an improvement to sync process that affects notes, not improvement to notes

It is still a performance improvement.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 16 2011 12:46 PM

GeoPappas:
 So there really isn't a reason why L4 shouldn't be as fast as L3.

That was meant as a comparison of both programs on the same machine. I believe that Logos 3 will always best Logos 4 on the same machine. But since we really aren't comparing the same program at all, it is actually meaningless to make this comparison.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS