Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 4:38 PM

Dan Francis:
I was under the impression he was hoping to take advantage of some of the more Study related things like the passage guide. I know that the iPad is a great reader, I am just wanted him to be sure of the possible limitations, for a lot of people i know not having the NIV would be a deal breaker right there.

You make a valid point, Dan.  If he needs more than the ability to read, do simple searches, and take some notes, then iPad is probably not his best tool.  But if you want to be able to read you library - especially read books cover to cover - iPad is the way to go.  It depends upon how you will use it.  What is right for one person is not for another.

I only use a laptop for my full blown Logos study.  So I am somewhat portable for even that.  But for extended reading, or reading on the go, it is hard to beat the iPad.  I have only played with a friend's Mac Air,and I agree it is nice.  However, I can't see where it would fit into what I do with Logos.  I wouldn't satisfied with it for running the full Logos - not enough memory or power for that in my opinion.  I sure wouldn't be satisfied reading extensively on it. 

I did not get the wireless version of iPad, but I do find that wifi is nearly every where.  You have public wifi in nearly every hospital, motel, fast food restaurant, etc.  For reading I seldom need an internet connection.  But I have used one while waiting in hospitals from time to time, and it worked great for Passage Guide.

Since we all work differently, figure out exactly what you want the machine to do and buy accordingly.  It is wonderful that we these choices available.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 4:40 PM

Peter Li:

How do you tell how many books are downloaded on the iPad? 

Turn on airplane mode under system.  Start Logos app.  Go to library, and at the top it should tell you how many books are available.  Only books downloaded to you iPad will be listed.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 19 2011 7:43 AM

Michael Childs:
I wouldn't satisfied with it for running the full Logos - not enough memory or power for that in my opinion.

I can't speak for everyone but when I am on the go I do my full study on my MBA. It has plenty of horsepower but I did opt for 4 GB of memory which I would recommend to everyone for the price and because MBA's are NOT upgradeable when it comes to memory. Honestly the upper end MBA are so impressive I can see no reason for a full on laptop for 90% of users.

Posts 4
Oke | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 3:17 PM

Michael Childs:

I have over 2100 books downloade to my iPad.

I am considering the 64 gig iPad 3 for my Silver edition Logos 4. I do a weekly SS lesson using Silver Logos 4 on an HP laptop (which is getting long-in-the-tooth) by building an MS Word document with verses followed by the text of cross references, word studies and other notes. Is it possible to do such study on the iPad?

BTW: I am a memory hog and a reference hog. [MORE POWER...MORE POWER!) My teaching guide is very complicated so that I can guide the discussion in any direction the students wish to go. I don't lecture (I am not particularly good at that). I try to stimulate discussion of the text in view. Will the iPad be useful in such study?

Posts 27674
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 4:46 PM

James O. Shannon:
I do a weekly SS lesson using Silver Logos 4 on an HP laptop (which is getting long-in-the-tooth) by building an MS Word document with verses followed by the text of cross references, word studies and other notes. Is it possible to do such study on the iPad?

The iPad is not a MacBook. The mobile app is not Logos 4. If you are looking to replace your computer, you would be better suited buying a MacBook or MacBook Air. By the way, new models should be released in the next several months. Even if you don't want a newer model, the current ones will be cheaper. Wink

The mobile app does let you read many (but not all) of your resources. Publishers must extend your resource licenses to mobile devices, and not all publishers are willing to do that. The mobile app can do highlighting, and notes attached to text. You can do word studies, but you must be connected to the internet. If you study in places without a good connection, a MacBook would be better. 

I would never replace my computer with an iPad. Here is my priority:

1. If I could only have one device, it would be a MacBook.
  2. If I could have two devices, it would be an iMac and an iPad.
  3. If I could have three devices, it would be an iMac, MacBook and iPad.
  4. If I could have four devices, I would have an iMac, MacBook, iPad and iPhone. 

By the way, I have all four. Big Smile

Side note: If you notice, My #2 priority switches the MacBook for an iMac. I prefer an iMac, but I believe that portability is important. The iPad provides much of what I would need in portability, but not in power. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 170
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 22 2012 5:25 PM

alabama24:

James O. Shannon:
I do a weekly SS lesson using Silver Logos 4 on an HP laptop (which is getting long-in-the-tooth) by building an MS Word document with verses followed by the text of cross references, word studies and other notes. Is it possible to do such study on the iPad?

The iPad is not a MacBook. The mobile app is not Logos 4. If you are looking to replace your computer, you would be better suited buying a MacBook or MacBook Air. By the way, new models should be released in the next several months. Even if you don't want a newer model, the current ones will be cheaper. Wink

The mobile app does let you read many (but not all) of your resources. Publishers must extend your resource licenses to mobile devices, and not all publishers are willing to do that. The mobile app can do highlighting, and notes attached to text. You can do word studies, but you must be connected to the internet. If you study in places without a good connection, a MacBook would be better. 

I would never replace my computer with an iPad. Here is my priority:

1. If I could only have one device, it would be a MacBook.
  2. If I could have two devices, it would be an iMac and an iPad.
  3. If I could have three devices, it would be an iMac, MacBook and iPad.
  4. If I could have four devices, I would have an iMac, MacBook, iPad and iPhone. 

By the way, I have all four. Big Smile

Side note: If you notice, My #2 priority switches the MacBook for an iMac. I prefer an iMac, but I believe that portability is important. The iPad provides much of what I would need in portability, but not in power. 

I would second most of what alabama24 said. During a study or class session you want the power to open multiple bibles and to link commentaries to the bibles. YOu will also want the dictionaries and reverse interlinears to analyze the passages.  The iPad cannot do any of these things. On the other hand, for sitting down to read a book, the new iPad is hard to beat.

Bob

Bob - 17" MBP quad 2.3GHz 4GB  and iMAC

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS