Composite Reading Plans

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 98
Joshua Coady | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 19 2011 11:41 AM

I currently have 3 reading plans that I would love to be able to combine into a single calendar.

Reading plans I want to combine:

• Ps | Pr in one year, weekends only
  • GE-Job, Ec-Mal in one year, weekdays only
  • NT is more complicated, so I wont give the full thing here, but it is basically approx 3 yr plan to read the NT 30 times, a book at a time, so I read 1 Jn once a day for 30 days, then Jn 1-7 once a day for 30 days, then Jn 8-14, Jn 15-21, then move on to something like Eph, etc (small books read entirely, larger ones split into groups of approx 5-8 chapters) -- this is the MacArthur reading plan described in his "How to Study the Bible" available in most Logos 4 packages.

Currently I have to have 3 separate calendars to do all of this. Ideas?

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 19 2011 12:09 PM

Would be nice to have either a "merge Reading Plans" option or a master calendar that would let you choose which reading plans to show. I cannot think of how to do this in one reading plan.

I suppose a third method that would be great to have would be the ability to add multiple plan sentence strings to the same reading plan. So next to "Read such and such on such and such day" there would be a button that says "add new string".

I'm not sure which way would be easiest to program, but I'd be game for any of them :-)

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 19 2011 12:22 PM

I do know that plans can be exported to Outlook so that would bring everything onto that external calendar.

When the PBB gets finished I suppose a custom lectionary could be constructed to any reading plan specification.

Posts 98
Joshua Coady | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 19 2011 1:37 PM

Yes, I like all three of those ideas. Maybe also a way to have the plan repeat for X sessions or to indicate that the passages should not be divided but repeated in their entirety. For example, I ended up having to do the NT readings in a separate reading plan doc per every 30 days.

I think just the ability to have additional plan "sentences" would suffice as long as there was a way to indicate whether the sentence should come after the preceding one or concurrent with it.

Posts 98
Joshua Coady | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 19 2011 1:45 PM

For example, the sentences I would use to create my reading plan:

Read NASB, Ge-Job, Ec-Mal, every weekday, starting today, and finishing in 350 sessions.

Read NASB, Ge-Job, Ec-Mal, every weekday, starting after the previous sentence, and finishing in 350 sessions.

Read NASB, Ge-Job, Ec-Mal, every weekday, starting after the previous sentence, and finishing in 350 sessions.

Read NASB, Ps | Pr, Su/Sa, starting today, and finishing in 350 sessions.

Read NASB, Ps | Pr, Su/Sa, starting after the previous sentence, and finishing in 350 sessions.

Read NASB, Ps | Pr, Su/Sa, starting after the previous sentence, and finishing in 350 sessions.

Read NASB, Jas, every day, repeated daily, starting today, and finishing in 30 sessions.

Read NASB, 1Jn, 2Jn, 3Jn, Phm, every day, repeated daily, starting after the previous sentence, and finishing in 30 sessions.

Read NASB, Jn 1-6, every day, repeated daily, starting after the previous sentence, and finishing in 30 sessions.

Read NASB, Jn 7-12, every day, repeated daily, starting after the previous sentence, and finishing in 30 sessions.

Read NASB, Jn 13-21, every day, repeated daily, starting after the previous sentence, and finishing in 30 sessions.

Read NASB, Phil, every day, repeated daily, starting after the previous sentence, and finishing in 30 sessions.

(and 29 more sentences after that to finish off the NT)

Posts 7
William Wingfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 14 2013 2:55 PM

Yes, I like all of the suggestions above. I have a lectionary plan that I use on Accordance Bible Software that goes through the NT every two months, the OT-Psalms once a year (the plan assumes one is reading the Psalter monthly already), The Book of Concord for the first part of the year, the Apocrypha in the middle, Luther writings for the last third of the year, and his Small Catechism weekly.

I have been painstakingly preparing a user tool for this lectionary in Accordance for a long time now, and it is almost done. But I would like to be able to do something similar in Logos if I could so that I could read it on Biblia on my Chromebook. Right now in Logos I have separate reading plans for the OT, NT, BOC, Luther's Bondage of the Will and will have one soon for the Apocrypha and Small Catechism. It would be nice to be able to combine them somehow. It's nothing critical. I still have my Accordance tool. But I like Biblia and Logos and would like to try out my plan with them, too.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS