SOOOO Slow.

Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 40 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 42
Matt Barker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 10:27 PM

Joe Miller:
I ran on VMWare 1.0 the whole way through beta for the past 7+weeks.  It was a bit sow at times, but perfectly usable.  Others have had good experiences as well once they adjusted their VMWare settings. No need to give up, just find some info on how to do the right setup.

Wish I had the same experience; Logos 4 Indexer crashes at every boot up of my VM (using VMWare Fusion 3/XP on a new Macbook Pro). I have allocated plenty of resources, followed the suggestions above (found them in the original blog post), but Indexer still crashes every time it starts. I guess I can try it in Boot Camp, but really didn't want to go that route. I can't wait until the Alpha turns to beta, rc, then final release. In the mean time, I think I'll go back to using 1.2.2 as my primary tool. This is just way too frustrating and is drawing my focus away from why I am trying to use the software in the first place.

Posts 52
LogosEmployee
Reuben Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 11:49 PM

I would recommend installing windows in a bootcamp partition and then letting Fusion access it. If you have the HD space don't delete your VM until you test this config. Also try using 2GB of RAM instead of 3GB, it can actually be faster. Bob's comment about WPF and Fusion is right on. Check the forum's on VMWare's site about graphical issues with Fusion and 3D acceleration and WPF apps from Microsoft. You can also try to disable 3D acceleration and see if you get better performance. Sounds weird, but it can help. Still the best config is bootcamp (with XP or 7 NOT Vista).

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 11:57 PM

Reuben Evans:
Still the best config is bootcamp (with XP or 7 NOT Vista).

I've had no problems with Vista.

Posts 52
LogosEmployee
Reuben Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 12:03 AM

Are you a Macbook Pro with multi-touch like the OP? We've seen issues with the drivers for the multi-touch trackpad with the drivers that came with 10.5. There are some things you can do to make it a bit better. But the trackpad works fine in XP and 7 (not officially supported), with the drivers that came with 10.6 (haven't tried 10.6/Vista/Fusion3 - with a multi-touch trackpad).

Posts 58
Alan Gerling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 10:12 AM

That helped a bit, but it's still running really slow.

Posts 58
Alan Gerling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 10:16 AM

Sorry, that was in response to Chris.  I'm actually running XP in a VirtualBox inside of Ubuntu.  By the way, VirtualBox was a marked improvement from VmWare, so you might try that (http://www.virtualbox.org).  I'm curious if a Windows 7 virtual environment would work better.

Posts 52
LogosEmployee
Reuben Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 10:33 AM

Alan,

was virtual box an improvement over Fusion 2 or 3?

Posts 58
Alan Gerling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 10:35 AM

Actually, this is a little frustrating.  Tried a couple of other things, but it honestly looks like it's just having trouble accessing the information quickly.  I had never been one to cry for a linux version because I was happy running Libronix in a Windows Box, but I'm starting to wish for cross compatibility.  Maybe someday when they do something browser based (or when the Google OS based on Linux comes out and changes the market share)

Posts 58
Alan Gerling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 10:36 AM

Reuben Evans:

Alan,

was virtual box an improvement over Fusion 2 or 3?

Reuben, VirtualBox was much better for me than Fusion 3, but I'm not on a Mac, so I don't know if Sun's tech works as well on that platform.

Posts 58
Alan Gerling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:11 PM

Hey guys, I've spent some time on this today, and I was able to get some results by running Logos in a VirtualBox with 128 MB of RAM allocated to the environment and 3D acceleration on.  Then I installed DirectX 9, which the system requirements make mention of (make sure you have the vbox additions installed).  This seemed to help a bit.  I'm not sure if you can run DirectX in VMware, but you might try it.  Tonight I'm going to try putting Windows 7 in a box and seeing if it runs better.  Again, the recommended system is Vista or 7, so maybe there's something in the program that likes the next gen software better.  I will let you know the results.

Posts 58
Alan Gerling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:12 PM

sorry, I should clariy, 128 to the video RAM, I've got 1.5 GB of system RAM

Posts 47
Scott West | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:28 PM

I'm running on a Mac Pro using Parallels 5 and Win 7 64bit. Haven't seen any problems with speed. My Pro has dual 3.2 ghz processors with 13gb of ram. 

I did notice some slowness before I upgraded to v5 of Parallels. v5 is Snow Leopard and Windows 7 compatible/

In Passage Guide I do turn off SermonCentral.com and PowerPointSermons.com to stop them from accessing the web. Even though I have a fiber connection large amounts of data transfer on load up can create slowdowns.

I would try shutting down any web you don't need. I don't think the computer is the problem. 

Mac Pro Dual 3.2Ghz Intel Xeon Processors; 14Gb Ram; nVidia 285 GTX 1 Gb Video Ram; 1Tb Main Drive; Parallels 5.0.2; Mac OS X 10.6.3

Titus 3:5-7

Posts 47
Scott West | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:30 PM

Oh, yea. I am running an nVidia 285GTX video card with 1 gb video ram.

Mac Pro Dual 3.2Ghz Intel Xeon Processors; 14Gb Ram; nVidia 285 GTX 1 Gb Video Ram; 1Tb Main Drive; Parallels 5.0.2; Mac OS X 10.6.3

Titus 3:5-7

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:55 PM

Alan Gerling:
Reuben, VirtualBox was much better for me than Fusion 3, but I'm not on a Mac, so I don't know if Sun's tech works as well on that platform.

Alan,

I'm really not sure how you can compare VMWare Fusion to VirtualBox on Linux since VMWare Fusion will not run on Linux, it is only for the Mac. VMWare Workstation works on Linux but it is a different product.

Posts 58
Alan Gerling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 4:01 PM

Hey Chris, sorry, didn't realize the difference.  Guess I assumed the same backend, but alas I was mistaken.

Posts 1
Cary L Mayo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 1:38 PM

I have found that if you turn off the 3D option in the display Logos works much better in VMware 3.

I am using Windows 7 64bit on a mid 09 MacBook Pro with 4gb of ram. Have it working pretty smoothly now.

Posts 9
Michael Newnham | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 1:53 PM

I just have to get this off my chest.

I've never been this frustrated with a piece of software.

I'm running L4 in Fusion 3 and it's slow as molasses.

L4 in Mac is pretty much unusable, but it does jack the CPU to the max with interminable indexing.

I'm regretting the money I've put into this program, but I am impressed with the patience of the saints here.

Posts 2643
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 2:34 PM

I am using Parallels 5 and having a very good experience with speed. There is a trial download and conversion of your VMWare if you are so inclined to give it a try.

Posts 73
Chuck Lindsey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 2:43 PM

Was your virtual machine built by Fusion... in other words, did you install windows through Fusion? Or did you convert a bootcamp install?

Have you turned off the 3D acceleration option in Fusions "Settings"? That makes a huge difference. Also keep it at using 1 processor even if you have more, that will keep things speedy on your Mac side.

Have you given Fusion at least 2gb of ram?

Have you tried setting Logos 4 priority to "high" in windows?

Have you turned "Hardware acceleration"  down in Windows?

These all help.

Posts 9
Michael Newnham | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 4:23 PM

I just tried Parallels 5 and it's no faster.

Turning 3D off helped a little bit.

For my own sanctification and sanity, I'll return to the competition until this gets resolved.

Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS