Resource Metadata Correction proposals

Page 3 of 6 (105 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 104 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 4:33 PM

Hey Thomas, you seem to be the "go to guy." Is there any talk about having a 'line' draw or 'free-hand' draw in Highlighting? What about having sticking notes available as well? See Imarkup.com for more info.

mm.

Posts 27232
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 12:31 AM

JasonVanVliet:
Is something missing in LSJ's metadata?

Yes. LSJ is not indexed for Greek headwords.

HAL is not indexed for Aramaic (this might be a legacy of L3).

NAS Updated Exhaustive Concordance is not indexed for English!

English Works of Philo is not properly indexed for Works of Philo data type (it says it is but you can't enter that data in its text box).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2853
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 12:59 AM

I think that Luther's Works ought to have the series tag set as well. So that one can prioritise the series.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 5:14 AM

Milkman:
Hey Thomas, you seem to be the "go to guy." Is there any talk about having a 'line' draw or 'free-hand' draw in Highlighting? What about having sticking notes available as well? See Imarkup.com for more info.

Hardly a go to guy.  I just spend too much time in the forums.  I've not heard any talk of that nature. 

P.S. Try to start a new thread for different topics.  Wink

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 5:26 AM

Thomas Black:
Hardly a go to guy.  I just spend too much time in the forums.  I've not heard any talk of that nature. 

the comma in your post count says it all. :-) You have helped many people on this forum. You are the go-to-guy :-) would you like me to start just telling people to email you directly? Or would you prefer phone calls?

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 5:44 AM

Philip Spitzer:
the comma in your post count says it all. :-) You have helped many people on this forum. You are the go-to-guy :-) would you like me to start just telling people to email you directly? Or would you prefer phone calls?

PHILIP!  Angry I had a mouth full of coffee when I read that - LOL.  I nearly splorked all over my desk. Surprise 

I was thinking now that I got my thousand you should finish earning yours.  Yes

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 5:50 AM

Thomas Black:
I was thinking now that I got my thousand you should finish earning yours.  Yes

Earn is a funny word. If you take out all the posts that had no redeemable nature to them, I'm probably in the 200-300 range :-)

EDIT: I was referring to posts like this one.

Posts 28
Todd Anson Wilkins | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 5:32 AM

Possibly not the best place to ask this particular question... What is the definition of a monograph? I have looked in the help file L3 and L4 as well as in the formums for a suitable definition. The lion share of my resources fall under this type and appears to be "we didn't know where to put this resource" data type.

Thanks

T

Posts 33772
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 4:05 PM

"A detailed and documented treatise on a particular subject"

translation: generally not a series, generally a narrow topic, generally somewhat 'academic'

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 8:51 AM

The Sheffield/T&T Clark Bible Study series needs a Series marker.

Ditto Ancient Egyptian Literature v.1-3

Not sure if this is the place, but the Anchor Dictionary only has working links for Bible verses.  References to items in my library don't link.  That is surprising, and not in a good way. 

Question: I have elsewhere asked for the ability to "physically" sort my library into folders and subfolders.  I find the fact I have to face a list of 2,500 line items in my library daunting.  Being able to reduce that with folders by half or more would do wonders for me (kind of like the Favorites menu in Explorer).  I realize that the Collections have some sort of similar purpose (I haven't actually created any yet), but aren't they more for searching as opposed to organization (ie. folders)?

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 133
Ryan Schatz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 2:13 PM

David Paul:

Question: I have elsewhere asked for the ability to "physically" sort my library into folders and subfolders.  I find the fact I have to face a list of 2,500 line items in my library daunting.  Being able to reduce that with folders by half or more would do wonders for me (kind of like the Favorites menu in Explorer).  I realize that the Collections have some sort of similar purpose (I haven't actually created any yet), but aren't they more for searching as opposed to organization (ie. folders)?

Folders are the way things used to be done.  Tagging is much better, but takes a bit of time to get used to, and requires a bit of a paradigm shift.  If you use gmail, you should be already introduced to tagging and how well it works.

Using folders has the distinct disadvantage that if something really belongs to two categories, you can only store it in one folder.  On the other hand, you can give it as many tags as you like.  You can also use the built-in tags (though, as others have pointed out, they still need some fixing).  For example, if you want to see all your Bibles, you can filter your library by typing type:bible.  If you only want the English ones, you can use type:bible lang:english.  If this list is not right and you want to fix it, then add your own tags to each resource.  Then you can filter like so:  mytags:englishBibles (for example).

Hope that helps.

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 1:56 AM

Dave Hooton:

The Aramaic part of HAL (volume 5) is a separate book in Logos; so I guess you'd need to prioritise both to have them working as expected...

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 2:47 PM

Dave Hooton:

JasonVanVliet:

English Works of Philo is not properly indexed for Works of Philo data type (it says it is but you can't enter that data in its text box).

Is this a temporary problem that will be fixed in near future?

Or does this depend on some other publisher outside of Logos' control?

Posts 383
Stephen Thorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 3:46 PM

Hi, I know that this isn't very important in the greater scheme of things, but I've noticed that the above title is not listed under IVP Pocket Dictionary 'Series' in the Library Series list which in my view it should clearly be, as the other 3 volumes that come with the IVP Essential Reference Collection are.

I know it's not a great concern but is it possible to correct this? Can we do from our end or do Logos have to supply an update?

Posts 27232
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2009 3:32 PM

Russ Quinn:

Dave Hooton:

JasonVanVliet:

Is this a temporary problem that will be fixed in near future?

Or does this depend on some other publisher outside of Logos' control?

This is Logos4 because all of these were workable under L3 (except HAL?).

I have to add The Life of Christ: A Study Guide which has NO index (correctly) but is euphemistically called a Bible Commentary!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 27232
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2009 4:02 PM

Dave Hooton:

Bradley Grainger:
Any other resource metadata fix suggestions are welcome.

This is one I posted a while back:

Resource Current Metadata  Proposed Metadata
KJV study bible type:Bible Notes type: bible commentary
Macarthur study bible type:Bible Notes type: bible commentary
New Manners and customs of the Bible type: bible commentary type:Monograph
Tanakh, the holy Scriptures lang:English;Hebrew lang:English
Life of christ: A study guide to the gospel type: bible commentary type:Monograph
Word Pictures in the NT type: bible commentary type:Monograph
Word Studies in the NT type: bible commentary type:Monograph
BHS morphologically Tagged Edition lang:English;Hebrew lang:Hebrew
Septuaginta morphologically Tagged Edition lang:English;Greek lang:Greek

TDNTA is tagged with lang German + Novum Testamentum Graece is tagged as Latin!

Whilst most of the Language tags have been fixed (thank you!) some are outstanding:-

Tanakh  --> English only

Novum Testamentum Graece --> Greek only

TDNTA is not German!

But WHY are all the Lexicons tagged as English?

These are the Greek-English, Hebrew-English and Latin-English dictionaries and need to be tagged with the ancient language name to be truly useful for our dynamic collections.  PLEASE!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2009 11:56 PM

A major problem with the metadata seems to be the lack of ISBNs. There seems to be no ISBN field, and very few resources that have the ISBN listed even in the description. I appreciate there are potential issues with different editions, but this seems like a major oversight to me.

Posts 1569
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 8:45 PM

While you're fixing the resource metadata, can you also fix the capitalization of the book titles?  Since Logos 4 now abbreviates book titles on the tabs when it runs out of space, and the abbreviation goes by the Capitalized words in the book title, we're getting some very unnatural book abbreviations.  Examples:

Illustrated manners and customs of the Bible => IB (should be IMCB)

Smith's Bible dictionary => SB (should be SBD)

Vne's complete expository dictionary of Old and New Testament words => VONT (should be VCEDONTW?)

Posts 1569
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 8:47 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:

Can we please tag study bible with "study bibles or bibles-study" instead of commentaries!!!!

please, please, please, and any other non-commentary book.

If you made this change, then study Bibles will no longer show up under the Commentaries section of the Passage Guide.  I vote to keep study Bibles tagged as commentaries for this reason.

Peter

Posts 33772
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 9:39 PM

PeterLi:
then study Bibles will no longer show up under the Commentaries section of the Passage Guide.

Sorry Peter, I would consider this an advantage. I don't consider either study guides pr study Bibles to be commentaries. Luckily we can customize the Guides to get both what you and what I want to achieve.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 3 of 6 (105 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS