Resource Metadata Correction proposals

Page 4 of 6 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 104 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 27858
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 10:01 PM

PeterLi:

Whyndell Grizzard:

Can we please tag study bible with "study bibles or bibles-study" instead of commentaries!!!!

please, please, please, and any other non-commentary book.

If you made this change, then study Bibles will no longer show up under the Commentaries section of the Passage Guide.  I vote to keep study Bibles tagged as commentaries for this reason.

That means there is a lack of flexibility in the Passage Guide template. But I note that MacArthur Study Bible is included and it is classed as Bible Notes + other Bible Notes (in 4.0a Beta at least).

However, many books are classed as Commentaries that should not be. So it would be better to choose what we wanted as "Commentaries" in PG, whether they be classed as Commentary, Bible Notes, Study Bibles, etc.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 5467
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 1:20 AM

Ryan Schatz:

David Paul:

Question: I have elsewhere asked for the ability to "physically" sort my library into folders and subfolders.  I find the fact I have to face a list of 2,500 line items in my library daunting.  Being able to reduce that with folders by half or more would do wonders for me (kind of like the Favorites menu in Explorer).  I realize that the Collections have some sort of similar purpose (I haven't actually created any yet), but aren't they more for searching as opposed to organization (ie. folders)?

Folders are the way things used to be done.  Tagging is much better, but takes a bit of time to get used to, and requires a bit of a paradigm shift.  If you use gmail, you should be already introduced to tagging and how well it works.

Using folders has the distinct disadvantage that if something really belongs to two categories, you can only store it in one folder.  On the other hand, you can give it as many tags as you like.  You can also use the built-in tags (though, as others have pointed out, they still need some fixing).  For example, if you want to see all your Bibles, you can filter your library by typing type:bible.  If you only want the English ones, you can use type:bible lang:english.  If this list is not right and you want to fix it, then add your own tags to each resource.  Then you can filter like so:  mytags:englishBibles (for example).

Hope that helps.

I understand what tagging does as far as searching is concerned, and that's great.  However, I don't think you understand my reason for asking for a folders/subfolders option for my Library.  I want to PHYSICALLY reduce the 2500 items in my library to (guesstimate) 50-100 items, with the remainder in subfolders as I see fit.  This is much like choosing where the items are on my bookshelf at home.  Saying "All you have to do is type in a tag" completely misses the point...it's about reducing clutter and managing the absurdly long list of stuff in my library.  I want the LIST of items to be reduced, to facilitate the PHYSICAL perusal of my Library, not the "electronic" searching of my Library.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 5467
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 1:36 AM

I just noticed that doing an author view of my Library gives 3 different listings for Robert Morey:

Morey, Robert a.

Morey, Robert, A.

Morey, Robert A.

A fix is obviously in order.  Thanks.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 27858
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2009 12:54 AM

Dave Hooton:
However, many books are classed as Commentaries that should not be.

To this list I add Holman Concise Bible Commentary and Holman Bible Handbook eg. they both have a block coverage of Matt 3:1-4:16 and 5:1-7:29!

The Apologetics Study Bible is also not a commentary!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 2:59 PM

Please can we add languages to the dictionaries. I ought to be able to do a search for type:dictionary language:greek, but only two lexicons are tagged with Greek. Ditto for the other languages.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2009 9:57 AM

Harry Hahne:

The "type" for Analytical Key to the Old Testament is classified as a Bible, even though it is really a lexicon and thus should be classified as a dictionary.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 10:33 AM

Israelology : The Missing Link in Systematic Theology should be type:monograph.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 11:22 AM

This list was getting rather cumbersome, and there were several duplicate requests. I've therefore consolidated the list and added it to the Wiki. This is what the wiki currently says:

Metadata correction proposals

Some proposals for consistency

• Ancient manuscripts: Ancient texts translated into English are best tagged as type:ancient manuscript; lang:English
  • Bible commentaries vs Bible notes: Resources that comment on every verse of the Bible should be tagged as commentaries, those that comment briefly on some verses only, or which title themselves “Study Bible” should be tagged bible-notes.

Corrections needed

• ALL LEXICONS should have appropriate ancient language as well as lang:English
  • Analytical Key to the Old Testament should not be type:bible (perhaps type:bible-notes?)
  • Ancient Egyptian literature needs series tag
  • Anti-nicene fathers/post-nice fathers should be type:ancient manuscripts
  • Apostolic fathers should be type:ancient manuscript
  • Beginning Biblical Hebrew should be type:grammar
  • The bible and its story needs series tag
  • BHS morphologically Tagged Edition should be lang:Hebrew
  • Biblical Archaeology Review is missing covers, despite them being in the resource
  • Biographical Entries from Evangelical Dictionary of Theology should be type:dictionary
  • Christian History Magazine should be type:Magazine
  • Christian Primer: Matthew needs series tag
  • Church dogmatics needs series tag
  • A concise Coptic-English lexicon should be lang:coptic, type:dictionary
  • The Context of Scripture should be type:Ancient Manuscript
  • A Dictionary of Biblical Tradition in English Literature should be type:Dictionary
  • Dictionary of Women in Church History should be type:dictionary
  • Elements of New Testament Greek should be type:grammar
  • Encyclopedia of Christianity should be type:dictionary
  • Evangelical Review of Theology should be type:journal
  • Foundation Documents of the Gospel Coalition should be type:Monograph
  • Gingrich Outline Commentaries: The Book of Genesis should be type:commentary
  • Good things come in small groups should be language:English
  • Handbook of Evangelical Theologians should be type:dictionary
  • Introducing the New Testament should be language:English
  • Introducing the Old Testament should be language:English
  • Israelology: The Missing Link in Systematic Theology should be type:monograph
  • Liddell-Scott should be lang:english
  • Life of christ: A study guide to the gospel should be type:Monograph
  • Luther’s Works needs a series tag
  • Luther’s Works Volume 10 should be type:commentary
  • NA27 Apparatus Criticus should be lang:German,lang:English
  • New Testament Studies Collection needs series tag
  • New Testament Survey needs series tag
  • New Manners and customs of the Bible should be type:Monograph
  • Novum Testamentum Graece should be lang:Greek
  • Old Testament Survey needs series tag
  • Opening up... needs series tag
  • Oxford Bible Commentary should be type:commentary
  • Semeia should be type:journal
  • Septuaginta morphologically Tagged Edition remove lang:English
  • Sheffield Bible Studies need series tag
  • Studies in dogmatics needs series tag
  • Tanakh, the holy Scriptures remove lang:Hebrew
  • Targumic Fragments needs series tag
  • TDNT should be lang:English
  • TDNTA should be lang:English
  • Text of Earliest NT manuscripts should be type:Bible; lang:Greek; and Add series
  • Ugaritic texts should be type:Ancient Manuscript
  • Word Studies in the NT should be type:bible-notes
  • Works of John Owen, Vol 17 should be lang:latin
  • You Can Understand the Bible Survey needs series tag

Title capitalisation errors

(This matters because it means the wrong acronym is added to tabs)

• Illustrated manners and customs of the Bible
  • The imitation of Christ
  • Smith’s Bible dictionary
  • Vine’s complete expository dictionary of Old and New Testament words

Inconsistent author information

Several authors and publishers are listed multiple times with slightly different spelling. Very easy to spot by simply sorting the library by author/publisher.

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 11:25 AM

If you know how to do so, I think it would be better to update the wiki rather than use this thread. If you don't know how to use the wiki, then add your request here, and someone can update the wiki for you.

As we notice metadata changes, it would be good to remove those requests from the wiki. Logos employees could you help with this?

Posts 27858
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 8:53 PM

I agree we should use the wiki. Mark has consolidated these requests into a much more manageable format.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 9:13 PM

Mark Barnes:
This list was getting rather cumbersome, and there were several duplicate requests. I've therefore consolidated the list and added it to the Wiki.
Surprise  That took a bit of time.  Wow Mark, Thanks for vastly improving this!  

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1002
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 4:48 AM

Hi,

Can we add issues with Abbreviated Title?

eg. For MacArthur New Testament Commentary

- MNTC is used for a few in the series, not all of them.

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Late 2013 2.6GHz RAM:16GB SSD:500GB macOS Sierra 10.12.3 | iPhone 7 Plus iOS 10.2.1

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 5:47 AM

I've made the request on the wiki.

Posts 12
Chad Blake | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 11:28 AM

not having read every posting here... does anyone know when they're planning on tackling the journal corrections... that one seems to be the one I find most frustrating

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 2:42 PM

We don't know, I'm afraid. However, Dan recently said they'd made some metadata changes that would be rolled out soon. He didn't specify which changes though.

Posts 27858
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 6:36 PM

I saw some examples of language change. It now appears we have to re-requestsome:

• Introducing the New Testament should be language:English ==> now English
  • Introducing the Old Testament should be language:English   ==> now  British English!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 662
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 9:06 PM

Dave Hooton:

I saw some examples of language change. It now appears we have to re-requestsome:

• Introducing the New Testament should be language:English ==> now English
  • Introducing the Old Testament should be language:English   ==> now  British English!

This is exactly what happens when Logos outsources its metadata corrections to the federal government!

But seriously, that is kind of ridiculous. How did the metadata ever get so screwed up in the first place? Doesn't Logos have to manually enter in the metadata?

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 4:21 PM

JeremyEllis:
Doesn't Logos have to manually enter in the metadata?

Previous replies seem to indicate that they just copy in whatever the publisher supplies them.

Steve F

Regards, SteveF

Posts 27858
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 10 2010 4:49 AM

Stephen Filyer:
Previous replies seem to indicate that they just copy in whatever the publisher supplies them.

To some extent eg. author's name, but the idea of metadata is to provide something consistent for the software which is derived from the publisher information. The author name might be confusing, but one should be able to get MacArthur  from "MacArthur, John Jr." and "John MacArthur" and "MacArthur, John, F., Jr.", which is the case with the author: Field that Logos supply ie. author:MacArthur.

The really annoying thing is when you have an established set like "The New American Commentary" and two recent pre-pubs are titled "New American Commentary" AND they are not joined to the Series. Or you have the Tanakh with language English;Hebrew when it is an English translation (you don't want Hebrew because it will be included with your Hebrew Bibles).

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 662
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 10 2010 11:47 AM

Dave Hooton:

Stephen Filyer:

To some extent eg. author's name, but the idea of metadata is to provide something consistent for the software which is derived from the publisher information. The author name might be confusing, but one should be able to get MacArthur  from "MacArthur, John Jr." and "John MacArthur" and "MacArthur, John, F., Jr.", which is the case with the author: Field that Logos supply ie. author:MacArthur.

The really annoying thing is when you have an established set like "The New American Commentary" and two recent pre-pubs are titled "New American Commentary" AND they are not joined to the Series. Or you have the Tanakh with language English;Hebrew when it is an English translation (you don't want Hebrew because it will be included with your Hebrew Bibles).

That is why I manually add everything into my collections. You have to at this point.

Page 4 of 6 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS