Resource Metadata Correction proposals

Page 5 of 6 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 104 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 527
Ebbe Andréasson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 7:57 AM

Bernspång Kommentar för Biblelläsaren - needs series tag

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 9:54 AM

I just added The Complete Guide to Bible Versions by Philip Comfort to the Metadata Correction proposals Wiki (http://wiki.logos.com/Metadata_correction_proposals) because it needs a Page Index.

I noticed that this is the only item in the list requesting the addition of Page metadata.

Just wanted to pose the question here of whether or not this type of request is best served by being on this list?

Or should a separate request list be created for resources that need page indexes?

I've created a new thread for this question so this question does not get buried in this thread or distract from how this thread is currently being used.

Please respond to this on that thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/9840/77853.aspx.

Posts 383
Stephen Thorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 10:07 AM

'Pocket Dictionary for the Study of New Testament Greek' should also be tagged as part of the 'IVP Pocket Dictionary' series.

Posts 27981
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 3:39 PM

Stephen Thorp:
'Pocket Dictionary for the Study of New Testament Greek' should also be tagged as part of the 'IVP Pocket Dictionary' series.

I've added it to http://wiki.logos.com/Metadata_correction_proposals.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 8:19 AM

Dave Hooton:

Dave, I've never attempted to edit the WIKI. Thanks for what you (and many others do on that site).

A WIKI "Metadata"  question: Does it somewhere also include reference to missing "Series" tags? (At a quick glance I didn't notive this).

Second: I noticed this morning that 4 of my "The College Press NIV Series"  are missing tags:

- 2 Corintians did not have a "Publisher" tag.

The following 3 have no "Series" tags:

- Nahum to Malachi

- New Testament Introduction

- Old Testament Introduction

Could you (if you have a spare moment) or some other kind soul, please add these to WIKI list?

Thanks

Regards, SteveF

Posts 27981
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 4:03 PM

SteveF:

A WIKI "Metadata"  question: Does it somewhere also include reference to missing "Series" tags? (At a quick glance I didn't notive this).

Second: I noticed this morning that 4 of my "The College Press NIV Series"  are missing tags:

- 2 Corintians did not have a "Publisher" tag.

The following 3 have no "Series" tags:

- Nahum to Malachi

- New Testament Introduction

- Old Testament Introduction

We have to be careful about Series tags. They apply to multi-volume Commentaries so that we can easily navigate between bible books without needing to know which volume contains them. I think you'll find that New Testament Introduction and Old Testament Introduction are not commentaries, whereas Nahum to Malachi is. As I don't have this set, perhaps someone else would like to make the changes (click the Edit button, follow the established format for your text, and Save).

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 4:35 PM

Dave Hooton:
I think you'll find that New Testament Introduction and Old Testament Introduction are not commentaries, whereas Nahum to Malachi is.

thanks for that clarification, Dave.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 4
Emmanuel Tandean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 11:18 AM

I like to use "Zondervan Dictionary of Bible Themes" (ZDBT) which was recently ported to Logos 4. On Pradis it works like a commentary (indexed by bible verse). Logos4 seems removed its Bible index. Can I suggest additional index to the current settings, to allow it to work like a commentary.

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 11:46 AM

What is the status of the various corrections requested?  This thread is 5 pages long, and there are a bunch listed on the Wiki.  Are these being worked on by Logos?  It would seem that many are no-brainers (wrong capitalization, for example)

Fred Greco
Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA, Katy, TX
Windows 10 64-bit; Logos 7.1 SR-2 (Reformed Platinum)

Posts 27981
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 2:58 PM

Fred Greco:
What is the status of the various corrections requested?

Just look under the heading Corrections Addressed by Logos at http://wiki.logos.com/Metadata_correction_proposals

This is updated by users as we notice the improvements. You just click the Edit tab and move the entry under Corrections needed to the above heading!

BTW If you put your suggested corrections here they will not be acted upon. LEARN to use the wiki as above and DIY!!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 5:03 PM

Dave Hooton:
LEARN to use the wiki as above and DIY!!

Thanks Dave

I have put in the suggested changes for the "College Press NIV Commentary" volumes.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 12:21 PM

So as these corrections are made, will my Logos software automatically know that it needs to download the "corrected" resources?

Posts 27981
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 3:42 PM

The resources remain untouched. The metadata for the resource is stored separately and comes via automatic Synchronisation as long as you are connected to the internet  (you won't know exactly when it comes).

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 639
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 10:45 AM

I'm sure somebody probably already mentioned this and I just missed it, but as I understand it, when Logos makes these metadata corrections, they will be rolled out automatically via a sync. If this is true, won't that cause major changes to custom made collections?

How will I know if a book has been added or deleted from a custom collection?

I suppose if a list was produced, we could go and manually make the changes but if it's all done automatically, a book whose type was included in a collection would be removed (or a new one added) with the user being none-the-wiser.

Am I right or am I missing something?

Posts 27981
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 2:11 PM

Ryan B.:
How will I know if a book has been added or deleted from a custom collection?

You won't unless you are on the lookout for a specific change ie. checking Library.

If you check this forum thread or the wiki metadata page you may get to know about changes. There is no official method of notification.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 639
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 6:25 AM
Well, maybe I'm alone on this, but if there is no way to know, then changing anything seems like a really bad idea. Am I the only one concerned about all the hours of creating customized collections being wasted and having to start over from scratch every time there is a new sync on just the off chance that my collections have changed? I don't mean to be complaining but what is the point of having collections if the books you thought were in there may or may not be there after every update? Any ideas on how to fix this?
Posts 36091
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 4:09 PM

Ryan B.:
having to start over from scratch every time there is a new sync on just the off chance that my collections have changed?

Please tell me you wouldn't really do that. Sad For myself, the most likely scenario is that I'll have a manual add or a manual delete that is no longer necessary but does no harm. Inelegant, yes. Harmful, no.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 639
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 4:21 PM

In all honesty I'm probably too lazy to do it, but my point remains. If I have 15 or 20 collections with each collection between 20 and 100 resources, it's going to be hard to remember which collection has which books. Manually adding or deleting isn't a problem if you know the tag has changed. But if you don't know the tag is changed, how would you know if a resource has disappeared or should be added? You can't.  I'm not sure I understand why they couldn't post an official list of metatag changes every time they update them. Otherwise it seems that the collections will become much more trouble than their worth.

Posts 36091
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 4:24 PM

Ryan B.:
Manually adding or deleting isn't a problem if you know the tag has changed.

From my perspective if my collections are well defined, corrections in the metadata will only place items in the collection to which they belong. I would be uncomfortable making a collection that depended on the metadata being wrong. I agree, however, that it would be nice to be notified as to what has changed.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 489
LogosEmployee
Louis St. Hilaire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 5:12 PM

The "Corrections Addressed by Logos" section at the bottom of the wiki page is a bit informal, but we are updating that whenever we publish a correction that has been suggested there.

Please keep in mind that we're not going to be meddling with metadata arbitrarily. Sensitivity to existing user settings is one of the reasons for this (the other is that we have plenty to do as it is Smile). Most of the time, if we change something, it will be because it is clearly broken or wrong.

Page 5 of 6 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS