Logos 4 Mac versus Win+Parallels...

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 134
Joel | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jul 31 2011 1:15 AM

So I recently picked up a Macbook Pro (13inch, 2.3Ghz, 8gig ram), and grabbed a new copy of Windows and Parallels because I didn't realise I could download the Mac version. When I did figure that out, I thought that might be a better way to go.

However, I have read L4 for Mac is... well, not so refined at this stage. I started getting L4 for Windows going under Parallels 6, but did notice some graphical issues when 3D was turned on, which is something I'd prefer to have under Parallels.

So that leads me to a question. Is the Mac version bad enough that I'd be better off turning off 3D support in Parallels and sticking with the Windows version, or is the Mac version decent enough? If it helps, I don't need notes ;) Thanks.

Posts 10893
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2011 4:07 AM

Joel:
If it helps, I don't need notes ;)

In that case, you would probably be better of with L4 Mac. Notes are the single most frustrating feature. Some complain about speed of startup, but I wonder if they have ever used MS Word for Mac Big Smile

Joel:
notice some graphical issues when 3D was turned on, which is something I'd prefer to have under Parallels.

What do you intend to run on Parallels that makes 3D so desirable?

Posts 134
Joel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2011 4:57 AM

Thanks for the info. Loading times are no problem- I've been running L4 on an Eeepc before the Mac :)

As for 3D, good question. I like how pretty it makes Win 7 look, obviously, but I also plan to run a few accelerated programs.

Posts 114
Steve Hultquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2011 5:28 AM

Joel, as Jack implies, it really depends on how you use Logos and what features are important to you. I have long since stopped using Logos for Windows on my Macs and used Logos for Mac instead, but I do not exercise many of the more scholarly features of Logos in ways that others do.

I would suggest giving it a try. You can always add the PC version and use it if you decide the Mac version just isn't cutting it. Plus, with a little help from the Wiki, you can move your resources so you don't have to download them again...!

Posts 134
Joel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2011 6:02 AM

Thanks, I'm currently downloading L4 (and my resources, which I don't mind doing) for the Mac. Do you guys know if the indexing is transferable between the Mac and Windows versions?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2011 6:10 AM

Thankful Logos 4.3 Release Candidate 1 is currently the best Logos 4 Mac version available; looking forward to Logos 4.3 stable release soon.  Thankful for many, many improvements.

Wiki Mac and PC User Interface Differences => Feature Parity section has list of features needing improvement on Mac compared to Logos 4 Windows.

Joel:

Thanks, I'm currently downloading L4 (and my resources, which I don't mind doing) for the Mac. Do you guys know if the indexing is transferable between the Mac and Windows versions?

Option: can install Logos 4 Mac and Windows; each installation needs its own copies of resources and indexes (not transferable because path to resources is different), then use the one most comfortable for you (colors are a bit different).

Caution: if have both Logos 4 Mac and Logos 4 Windows installed, running both at same time can cause sync surprises.  Personally had Library priorities open in Logos 4 Mac and Logos 4 Windows, made a change on one platform only to have it magically revert minutes later due to automatic sync timing differences (closing priorities on one platform allowed me to make changes).

Wiki Logos 4 Mac => Need Logos 4 PC feature? section includes links to virtualization configuration tips (e.g. turn off hardware not being used, like floppy drives).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 134
Joel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2011 6:31 AM

Great, thanks for all of that.

So far my Mac install of L4 has gone from downloading my resources to instantly crashing afterwards. Not a great start. But, it has relaunched seemingly successfully and is preparing my library. I'll give it a chance to at least get started ;)

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2011 6:52 AM

Apologies: Logos 4 Mac may need many restarts to download all resources.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 134
Joel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2011 7:01 AM

Yeah, so far I'm seeing a lot of bugs. Plus, I think I know what people mean when they say it looks uglier than the Windows version. I think it's all the grey. I also finding the 'Windows Default' option for the background colour a little out of place ;)

On the plus side, the interface seems quite snappy.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2011 7:15 AM

Curious about Logos 4 Mac version ?

Observation: color is a personal preference; wish Logos 4 Mac had more color choices: especially for Windows borders, trying to read black text on grey background along bottom of window for pop-up information can be bit challenging, however if had choice for a shade of yellow then pop-up readability dramatically improves, likewise would like option for black border to effectively hide pop-up.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2861
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2011 9:01 AM

For whatever it's worth, the current stable version of L4M should run perfectly well, if maybe slow. I think it's the 4.3 that I'm hopeful will be the barrier breaker. I have an older Mac Mini and I can still get work done with L4M. The only real issue has been Notes. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2011 9:16 AM

I'm running 4.3 RC-1 on an external drive and there is a noticeable increase in performance over the 4.2b running on my internal drive (and 4.2 performance on my machine is pretty good).

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 34
Jeffrey Pope | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2011 5:58 PM

I also just updated to 4.3 RC-1 and noticed a huge increase in speed on my MacBook Pro.

Posts 134
Joel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 4:10 AM

Well, a day or so later and 27 restarts to download all the updates (kinda odd it has to be done that way) and I'm liking L4 on the Mac. It runs quite well. But then, the newer machines are quite quick. The only real issue I've had is with maps. The zooming seems to be completely broken.

On the topic of 4.3 RC-1- how does one get it?

Posts 26056
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 4:21 AM

Joel:
On the topic of 4.3 RC-1- how does one get it?

Hi Joel

Details at http://community.logos.com/forums/t/36207.aspx

Graham

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 6:01 AM

Joel:
Well, a day or so later and 27 restarts to download all the updates (kinda odd it has to be done that way)

I think the multiple restarts will be fixed when 4.3 is officially released in the stable update channel.. Yesterday it tool 3 restarts to download and install the 7 volumes from the Larkin collection in 4.2b SR-2 while it took only one restart in 4.3 RC-1.

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 134
Joel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 6:04 AM

Great, thanks guys.

Posts 2898
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 3 2011 6:35 AM

get yourself a nice speedy SSD and it is amazing what all programs can do

Logos loads in 11 seconds if I've loaded it before or 28 seconds if it is the first time in a long time

And Jack, Word 2011 or Mac loads for me in about 3-4 seconds.

Posts 134
Joel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 3 2011 6:45 AM

SSDs are nice, but with a standard 5200 harddrive, L4 loaded for me in 25 seconds. I guess loading times might differ depending on a number of factors, but all-in-all, not too shabby for such a slow drive.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS