4U, What's the Number 1 Kick Butt Feature of Logos 4?

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:16 AM

Often we post about things we don't like about Logos 4--maybe that's a reflection of a learning curve on our part, and a tweaking curve on the part of Logos.

BUT, anyone care to share the BIGGEST single improvement for you with Logos 4?  What's the new feature or look that makes your heart go "pitter-patter?!"  (My DVD should arrive tomorrow so I cannot yet participate in my own post!)

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:18 AM

Everything being perfectly synchronised across both my machines - brilliant! Smile

Posts 147
John Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:18 AM

Search speed. Definitely.  Searched me entire library (Gold) for "grace" in 1.39 sec.  70,000 hits.  Unbelievable.  I've got a couple of problems to sort out, but I love L4 so far.  Thanks Logos!

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:24 AM

Speed. And search capabilities.   I just did a morphology search (against the Logos Greek morphology) for logos@v and accidentally had the ESV selected.  The search completed in 0.64 seconds, and the results showeg the results in the English (based on the underlying Greek).  Very impressive.

Also, the new UI and typography are beautiful and exceptionally well thought out.  Makes reading a real pleasure.

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:33 AM

For me it is a few things:

1. Searching not only fast but also logically ranked or by books. Also synonyms included in the search. Great.

2. Visual features of the program (Library, the book covers everywhere, pictures in one place, etc.) I am, as most people, visual person, so I love it.

3. Multi-monitor support - how we could ever work without it :-)

4. THE BIG ONE:  iPhone support! Of course I am waiting on the offline use option but even now it just great and very much desired function.

5. Reading Loud option and Reading View (2 column support hopefully will come).

These are just few... There are more of course.

On my waiting list - the most needed improvement is support of PBB, because many NON-English BIbles exist only as PBB. We NEED to support other than English Bibles in Logos 4. Yes, we can read all the thousands of English books. My reading is 90% English. But Bible is different. You have to have Bible in the language you preach. Also for your daily devotion you need YOUR Translation.

Logos is just excellent tool, and it is growing as we use it, isn't it great?

Bohuslav

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:41 AM

I'd have to agree with all that is said here...I'm really loving v4... Big Smile

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 5:07 AM
  1. The speed of searching is incredible.
  2. I like the way the new library works, resource tagging and prioritizing.
  3. Customizable passage guides, etc...

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 5:30 AM

Ditto on the search speed.

Also the types of seaches I am now able to conduct. One impressive feature for me (since I often teach using PowerPoint and have "wasted" some much time in the past finding proper images or pictures to enhance my teaching) is the simplicity of typing #image _________ (the blank being any item on which you are teaching) and the program will search through EVERY single resource you have and you suddenly have a list to possible pictures you can use! Then right-click on the opened image and it is instantly sent to PowerPoint....Wow! What a time saver!

Charlene

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 5:50 AM

Charlene:
Then right-click on the opened image and it is instantly sent to PowerPoint....Wow! What a time saver!

First, I just wanted to read a post that had "kick butt" in it, and on a "Christian forum", no less!  :)

I have not figured out all the stuff yet, so as a visual person, I have to agree with Charlene--that is one of the cool features.  I think the "handout" is a great idea, but I am not familiar with how to manipulate with ease yet.  I like that all the book "covers" are shown--it may seem small, but that is a HUGE plus for me.  I wonder if that can be expanded some day to like a "cover flow" within itunes.  I like the idea of rating your books and a bit more 'ease' in creating collections, but honestly (breaking off the positive side of things here--it seems a bit complex with all the "rules," and "categorization--how do I know what categories, except for trial and error.  I wonder if they'd ever be able to assign this books with the Library of Congress or DDS or something . . .).  I like that it looks like you can manipulate it in many ways (including second screen support--but I need a new monitor!).  I think the markup feature is a bit better.

I am still a little hazy on "notes."  not sure how those work or where they will show up (like, collected together during a study).  That is probably a simple thing, i just don't know it.  But i think I like the idea of taking notes under different sections .(say of the PG), but I just don't know what happens with them then.

I would KILL for an itouch (maybe even i phone) because I really really really like the idea of reading in bed without hoisting my 6 year old, 4 ton Compaq presario on my knees to read in bed.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:34 AM

Waaa!! the handouts are not ready for prime time!!

signed,

TCblack

Big Smile

Robert Pavich

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:47 AM

Robert Pavich:

Waaa!! the handouts are not ready for prime time!!

signed,

TCblack

The handouts are a great addition to Logos.

signed

Bob P (take your pick which :-))

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:27 AM

Thank  you Robert you (almost) stated my position with aplomb!

Daniel DeVilder:
I think the "handout" is a great idea, but I am not familiar with how to manipulate with ease yet. 
That's because it's designed to test your patience, not to give easy customization. (WAAAA)  Crying

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:32 AM

Et tu Philip?

Robert Pavich

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:35 AM

I honestly liked the starting page - it really pulled me to read more of the resources I had

vladimir

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:38 AM

Robert Pavich:

Et tu Philip?

My opinion? Handouts are Logos' attempt to counter the global warming movement.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:55 AM

Philip Spitzer:
Oh, so that's why they're unprintable.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 8:08 AM

Thomas Black:

Philip Spitzer:
Oh, so that's why they're unprintable.

Never tried printing them. I thought it kept dublexing or something like that?

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 8:13 AM

Duplexing.  At least on my system.

BUG: Duplex printing forced on handouts

Posts 33251
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 4:09 PM

I'd intended to start a similar thread this morning. The simple reader's view in a floating window is my favorite.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 94
Matt B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 4:12 PM

Wow this thread has me excited like it's Christmas morning! I just bought the upgrade and can't wait to get acquainted with 4 tomorrow (assuming I get over my tech issues tonight!)

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS