4U, What's the Number 1 Kick Butt Feature of Logos 4?

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1715
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 1:31 PM

Thomas Black:
Duplexing.  At least on my system.

Duplexing is now fixed; I'm not sure if the fix is in SR-5 (it may be), but if not, it's coming soon...

Posts 77
Adrian Frost | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 1:56 PM

Speed of searching is up there in the "cool stuff" category - but that's already been said.

I like the less cluttered look, also the overall "shades of grey" UI. Going back to check something (collection contents) in Logos 3 was more multi-coloured than I expected.

Text displays nicely and is more pleasant to read on both my large screen and the netbook.

Only thing I'm missing at the moment is the old Bible Word Study. I miss having Philo, Josephus and The Church Fathers displayed in the same way as the Greek NT and Septuagint with categorisations of how the word is used and links to the English translations "built in". I'm no great greek scholar and still rely on the pop-ups with the English translation. Having Philo et al. relegated to "Textual Searches" is a loss as far as I'm concerned.

As for butt kicking - it certainly does Big Smile

Eglise Protestante Evangélique de Libramont, Belgique - www.epelibramont.com

Posts 77
Adrian Frost | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 2:01 PM

And another thought... love the new Translation pie-charts in the Bible Word Study. I was showinh my Father-in-Law something in Logos 4 the other night and we both impressed to see bits of the pie-chart moving about. The pop-up that then shows (I think) how the English word is translated by other Greek words is also very smart. I did try to click something in but it disappeared Smile I would imagine that being able to click something in that pop-up would be taking things a little too far.

So, yeah, lovin' it. I'm almost ready to go Logos 4 full-time.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 2:01 PM

Adrian Frost:
I miss having Philo, Josephus and The Church Fathers displayed in the same way as the Greek NT and Septuagint with categorisations of how the word is used and links to the English translations "built in". I'm no great greek scholar and still rely on the pop-ups with the English translation. Having Philo et al. relegated to "Textual Searches" is a loss as far as I'm concerned.

I've gone back and forth on this one. I can certainly see the point. Maybe have it the way it is by default, but expandable with a "more>>" link.

Posts 77
Adrian Frost | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 2:05 PM

Philip Spitzer:
I've gone back and forth on this one. I can certainly see the point. Maybe have it the way it is by default, but expandable with a "more>>" link.

Yeah, I can see the advantages of putting them as an extra search from BWS - it moves them out of the way and, I'd imagine, gives more flexibility for searching. It's just I miss the English pop-ups Sad Maybe I need to do some more (a lot more) work on my greek. It could be the push I need to dig into all those fabulous "Learn Greek" tools that I've got. Hmm

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 2:08 PM

I'm looking forward to using the sympathatic highlighting with these resources. Highlight what you want to find in the english, it highlights in the greek so you can quickly find it. Love it! (My Greek is rusty too)

Posts 106
Rob Suggs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 2:25 PM

My answer: Potential.

I get the idea that now we see in a mirror dimly in terms of the things that can be done with this approach to Logos. Many of us (me included to some extent) are hung up on the comfortability of how we've always done things in 3.0. This reworking of the system is from the ground up, based on the directions things are going with Win7, more fluid programs, etc. Everything is changing on our desktops from word processing to graphic-driven apps, whatever. Logos is built for growth in the near future, and if there had been a stubborn clinging to older patterns, Logos would fall behind the curve later (and so would we). 

The current L4 is like a new house with a lot of undeveloped space in it--bonus rooms, basement, etc. It's really a new platform with new possibilities, some that haven't yet been devised. Or maybe I'm blowin' smoke. Smile  I'm looking forward to a lot more customization, but we've just reinvented the wheel; spokes are a-comin'. 

Posts 77
Adrian Frost | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 2:27 PM

I hadn't thought about the sympathetic highlighting!

My Greek is beyond rusty... haven't really studied it since first year at Bible College in the UK. It's only in being on the mission field in Belgium and having to learn French that I've realised that it would be possible for me to get a better grasp of Greek.

Posts 8659
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 9:11 AM

Bob Pritchett:
Duplexing is now fixed; I'm not sure if the fix is in SR-5 (it may be), but if not, it's coming soon...
Well not in SR5.  But the fact that the fix is made and coming soon, makes me a happy, happy man.  Thanks to the golden fingered programmers at Logos! 

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS