Sermon File Addin?

Page 3 of 4 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 78 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 35787
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 11 2011 6:52 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

MJ. Smith:
The sermon function in L3 had two functions - one with all the headings, references, delivery locations etc. that was on your machine

Wonder about Personal Book(s) with sermon headings references, delivery locations, etc ?

Keep Smiling Smile

I suspect that is along the lines that Logos is thinking so I would think it foolish to try to set something up before  see what Logos has planned - we'd as likely make more work for ourselves as less.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 540
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 12 2011 7:47 AM

Thomas, that macro is for converting a batch of docx files into doc, not doc into docx. 

The modified code for converting multiple doc to docx (which I have tested and it works OK, without opening them in compatibility mode) is:

Sub conv()
    sPath = "C:\Users\John Duffy\Documents\temp\"
    sFile = Dir(sPath & "*.doc")
       While sFile <> ""
            With Documents.Open(sPath & sFile)
             .Convert
             .SaveAs FileName:=sPath & sFile & "x", FileFormat:=wdFormatXMLDocument
             .Close
            End With
            sFile = Dir
        Wend
End Sub

Note: the temp folder is in My Documents instead of the root of C: which makes things easier.  Modify the path to suit your own username etc.

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 12 2011 8:36 AM

Thanks John, I'll put it to work or rather I'll try to.  I couldn't get it to work for me - I'm not much for understanding code beyond HTML and CSS anymore.  

So....

if I wanted to change that to convert from ODT to DOCX I'd use....

sFile = Dir(sPath & "*.odt")

.saveAs FileName:=sPath & Replace (sFile, "odt", "docx",....

Is that about it?

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 540
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 12 2011 8:50 AM

Thomas, I edited the original post since the original code saved in docx but when opened it was in compatibility mode.  So, after a bit of googleing on the topic, I added the .convert line. 

I didn't need the replace function either, so ditched that for a more simple code to my understanding.  But yes, that looks fine, but I'm no expert on VBA.  But make sure you have the .convert line in there, as in the modified code above.

Posts 36
Darren Middleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2011 10:23 PM

Bump! No news is bad news I guess. At least we are closer to a solution than when I first asked.

Posts 1
Simeon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 2:18 PM

Further bump.

I echo most of the comments on here. Both that I really like what you've done with L4 for the most part, that Sermon File Addin was phenomenal, that tagging was vital, and that a bit more transparency about this upgrade process would have been very much appreciated.

I also liked to further edit my files after they were written when I spoke on a similar topic. I can still do some of that through 'Notes' but I much preferred the way L3 handled sermon file to anything else.

Posts 36
Darren Middleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 6 2011 8:04 PM

Bump. Is there any chance, anyone from Logos can tell us what is happening with this? Heading into 2012 and still no news! Very frustrating.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 7 2011 12:12 AM

Darren Middleton:

Bump. Is there any chance, anyone from Logos can tell us what is happening with this? Heading into 2012 and still no news! Very frustrating.

I'd like to hear too. Yes

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 7 2011 7:23 AM

At the very least they need to update their "Features Coming Soon to Logos 4" page. 2nd quarter of 2011?!!! Come on Logos, get it done. Telling me I can still use L3 is insufficient.

Posts 217
Danny Baskin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 7 2011 7:36 AM

Brad Fry:

At the very least they need to update their "Features Coming Soon to Logos 4" page. 2nd quarter of 2011?!!! Come on Logos, get it done. Telling me I can still use L3 is insufficient.

Tell it, brother! My patience is gone on this one.

Posts 36
Darren Middleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 6 2012 3:25 PM

Feb 2012. Still no updates.

Can we please have an update, please.

Posts 35787
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 6 2012 4:40 PM

On the Logos 5 vs. 4 thread Bob listed it as one of the unfinished items so we know its on the list.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 36
Darren Middleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 6 2012 5:31 PM

Thank you.

A time indicator would be really helpful/encouraging - it's been a long wait for those of us who bought the original product just before Logos 4 and have been waiting ever since...but thanks for your info.

Posts 36
Darren Middleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 12:42 AM

Still patiently waiting - are we talking weeks, months or further years?

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 3:56 AM

Darren Middleton:

Still patiently waiting - are we talking weeks, months or further years?

I am thinking that it is still 6 to 12 months away.

Posts 119
Robert D. Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 5:11 AM

Stephen

I agree, and want so badly a simple means to keep 'My Sermons" (& notes) inside L4.

I do a lot of research, preparation, for sermons, Bible study, and so desire to be able to reference this material quickly. L4 has this already with notes but my "WORK' is creating sermons that I reference time and again. L4 is a great research tool, but my sermons is my main objective. I still use L3 to store sermons...and keep a Windows file with all my sermons backed up.

Hope the day will come when we get something better for sermons.

Posts 33
Stephen Coles | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 6:30 AM

I've now switched to an iMac and Logos 4, whilst running quicker than it ever did on my old PC, misses other features I had started to use: the handout creator, for example, not in the Mac version and, as far as I can tell, there are no plans to add it.  I suspect the Sermon File file add-in is even more distant for me now.  In fact, I've deleted my Logos sermon files and gone back to a simple spreadsheet and folder with .doc sermons.

Posts 30534
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 6:49 AM

Stephen Coles:
the handout creator, for example, not in the Mac version and, as far as I can tell, there are no plans to add it.

Correct. Logos isn't even happy with it in PC and it is being left to die.

Stephen Coles:
In fact, I've deleted my Logos sermon files and gone back to a simple spreadsheet and folder with .doc sermons.

If you made those .docx files instead, you could make a personal book. Wink

Stephen Coles:
I suspect the Sermon File file add-in is even more distant for me now.

Logos had intended to do something different (a website), but it looks like they may be reconsidering due to the outcry of demand. No word on when a decision will be made or what the timetable looks like, as far as I know.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 33
Stephen Coles | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 7:05 AM

alabama24:

Stephen Coles:
In fact, I've deleted my Logos sermon files and gone back to a simple spreadsheet and folder with .doc sermons.

If you made those .docx files instead, you could make a personal book. Wink

Yes, I could spend time loading and resaving them as docx, or trying to set up a script to do it, but it still wouldn't give me details of where and when I'd used them, nor the easy ability to update when used at a different church.  I originally had an Access database I'd written to store sermons and their use, a database I'd discontinued when the sermon builder came out.  A spreadsheet is simple and unlikely to go out of date...

Posts 30534
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 7:20 AM

I have never used the sermon file addin (although I technically own it via another purchase). I had forgotten many of the uses that you mentioned. It would be really nice for the SFA to come to L4, and hopefully it will!

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Page 3 of 4 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS