Incorporate a Journal function within Logos 4

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 62
Rich Davis | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 6 2011 6:12 AM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I would love to see a journal function within Logos 4. One has to use another program when writing in a journal. It would be much more convenient to have the journal at our fingertips right in Logos 4. I've been waiting for this function along with the prayer list function that used to be in the older versions. When can we have it?

Posts 24764
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 6 2011 8:02 AM

Hi Rich

Doesn't the Notes function give you what you want?

Just trying to understand what extra features are needed - do you want some sort of calendar function, for example?

Graham

Posts 29471
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 6 2011 8:23 AM

Rich - 

I agree with you that it would be very nice to have a journaling and more robust prayer function. I don't know if it will happen any time soon, but it would be very nice. Logos is used in different ways by its users. Some use it more strictly for academic purposes (including sermon prep). Having just graduated and still looking for a full time ministry, I am not using primarily for academic purposes, but for spiritual discipline reasons. Having these features would make the program more valuable to a wide audience. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 62
Rich Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 6 2011 10:59 AM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hey Graham,

Maybe I am looking for a calendar function where my journal for each day is recorded in one sort of “book” which is called MY JOURNAL or something like that.

Posts 62
Rich Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 6 2011 11:04 AM

Hey Alabama . . .

Gotcha. Under the old Libronics system of old, there was a very cool prayer function which allowed you to develop a prayer list with many different categories, but there had never been anything like a "Journal" that functioned like a book that you could add to daily logging your spiritual journey in the Scriptures. It would be great if we could keep track of prayer requests and answers to prayer as well as interact with the Lord as we read and meditate on His Word. All we can do now is make the request and pray.

Posts 32495
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 6 2011 1:32 PM

Rich Davis:
Maybe I am looking for a calendar function where my journal for each day is recorded in one sort of “book” which is called MY JOURNAL or something like that.

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/753550-journaling-addin?ref=title

While this request also exists in somewhat different forms in other uservoice entries, put your votes here to show interest in this proposed feature.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 29471
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 6 2011 3:31 PM

Thanks MJ. Done! Smile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 116
Transcend Church | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2011 4:50 AM

I know it's been a while, however, I voted/commented on this too.  Like others, I'm interested in keeping all my study/devotion in this platform.  However, would love to plan and track my spiritual discipline(s) within logos. 

If I could list prayer and have a good daily interface for my prayer list, daily/scheduled activities (fasting/resource reading Bible and other/ meditation/ journaling/etc) I'd enjoy my Logos, overall, experience more.

Grace and peace

John Weathersby

Harrisburg, PA.

www.transcendchurch.org

Posts 2759
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2011 5:27 AM

use a note file..

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 349
Frank Fenby | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2011 5:57 AM

Rich Davis:
I would love to see a journal function within Logos 4. .... When can we have it?

I think you already have a way to do this. Build a personal book with Microsoft Word using year-month-day milestones ([[@ymd.2011.5.23]] ). Put an shortcut on the short cut bar to quickly open your journal. Rebuild your journal on occasion and you will have links to all the Bible references. You could also you the some of the field tags like Topic. You could include you journal when doing searches.

See this wiki article for more on PBs. You might want to check out the excellent user written macros by Steve Clark for building a PB.

Posts 5
Jason Betler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 23 2012 7:01 PM

Logos NEEDS a journal. There are some decent suggestions here, but building and updating book,...managing notes, etc. is so tedious an unwanted. With 3 kids, a ministry to run, busy schedule, I just look forward to sitting down and marinating in the word whenever I get the chance.

A reading plan and some good devotionals are great. Preparing  a message and then being super smart is the advantage of Logos and we are all grateful for this, but the Logos system needs a separate/integrated journal for the personal journey. It likely would not take more than a slight modification of a "note" file. Just something dedicated that could be selected from within a reading plan would be great. Hyperlinks would show in the Bible as a note, etc. but would connect to your personal Journal.

In short, information is not enough! Bible study is nice, but I want a way to see how God has revealed Himself throughout my journey. This is my "life sermon" from God to me through his word and the Holy Spirit.

Logos is great for information to pour out, but could stand a greater built-in capacity to build up the minister.

My pastor recently suggested a great way to journal. (It was developed by another man of God in Hawaii ...suffering for Jesus ;-)  ..it is themed after SOAP because it is what you use every day ;-)

Normal 0 false false false EN-SG X-NONE X-NONE

S for Scripture
Open your Bible to the reading found under today's date of your Bible bookmark. Take time reading and allow God to speak to you. When you are done, look for a verse that particularly spoke to you that day, and write it in your journal.

Ofor Observation
What do you think God is saying to you in this scripture? Ask the Holy Spirit to teach you and reveal Jesus to you. Paraphrase and write this scripture down in your own words, in your journal.

A for Application
Personalize what you have read, by asking yourself how it applies to your life right now. Perhaps it is instruction, encouragement, revelation of a new promise, or corrections for a particular area of your life. Write how this scripture can apply to you today.

Pfor Prayer
This can be as simple as asking God to help you use this scripture, or it may be a greater insight on what He may be revealing to you. Remember, prayer is a two way conversation, so be sure to listen to what God has to say! Now, write it out.

The ability to incorporate a simple structure like this into journaling within Logos would be so useful! (...and don't forget to make it accessible & usable on the iPad too!)

I want to record the miracles, testimonies, the Rhema words in the same software where I study and prepare messages. How can the two be separate?

Posts 2759
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 23 2012 11:47 PM

welcome Jason, its doable and transferrable to ipad as well (or will be if sync has been restored)

firstly make yourself a annotations file called "my_journal" or something meaningful (if not existing - if so open it)

Jason Betler:
S for Scripture
Open your Bible to the reading found under today's date of your Bible bookmark. Take time reading and allow God to speak to you. When you are done, look for a verse that particularly spoke to you that day, and write it in your journal.

Instead of writing it we will add it as a new annotation follow instructions below

1. Right click on verse
  2. Choose Reference - then your notes can cross translation boundaries, makes the much more useful in future
  3. Click on "Add a note to "my_journal"" or whatever you named it 

O and A you would add into the content section of the new annotation

you can change the color/style of icon if you wish, I would also add in the date to the content as well, it the creation date of note is stored in the database but currently not accessible to us users at this time

P you may or may not choose to add in

at least thats how I would do it, hope you find the software as helpful as I do

Your notes will appear in searches if you are looking for something specific you wrote a while back

Posts 7
Gerhard Venter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 22 2015 8:30 AM

Logos team: no pressure, but a man can dream, right? I realize that I'm probably only summing up what the users have been saying.

1. On our journey, the world is tied to our prayers. A journal should be tightly integrated with the prayer list (my favorite feature, BTW).

2. A journal could automatically (or semi-automatically) pull in references to what Bible passages I was reading on a particular day. E.g. a "Journal this" link in the context menu for whatever I'm reading.

3. The machines have won. Everyone has a smart phone. Can we quickly, easily, and seamlessly incorporate pictures?

4. I'd love to be able to send my journal an email. "Sitting at the airport - on my way to the XYS conference..."

5. A calendar view would be nice. Integration with Google calendar would be nice.

Let me stop before I propose blood glucose entries ...

Sincerely

Gerhard

Posts 2759
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 22 2015 12:19 PM

This is old thread,  if you are still using Logos 4 consider moving to 6, am not sure (and doubt it will work for v4) but I created a Personal Journal which should work for v5 and v6

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/79592.aspx

Posts 4
Nicole Holmquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 14 2016 4:23 PM

Thanks so much, I'll check it out!!

Posts 4
Nicole Holmquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2016 7:40 AM

Jason, love the SOAP method! Hope the Logos will make it happen!

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS