Logos 4 Mac - Getting a new laptop: do you all recommend Mac Book Pro of Mac Air?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4
Rounds | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 7 2011 5:35 PM

My husband is chomping at the bit to upgrade my trusty MacBook to a newer machine. I'm perplexed. . . I'll be buying Logos 4 Mac (at last!) never had the software in any form before. . . which laptop to buy? He is leaning towards the Mac Air. I appreciate your advice. . . you know how things run on your machine. 

Grateful for your input,

Denise

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 7 2011 5:59 PM

Welcome Big Smile

MacWorld conclusion => http://www.macworld.com/article/161434/2011/08/macbook_air_2011.html includes: "Today, most people in the market for a Mac laptop should seriously consider the MacBook Air."

Option: visit an Apple Store to look at MacBook Air and MacBook Pro models to see which screen size(s) look comfortable to use (can pick up to feel weight).

Memory in MacBook Air cannot be upgraded; recommend purchase 4 GB.  Note: 13" MacBook Air has SD card slot and longer battery life.

Logos 4 Mac software is free, but resources are not.  Logos has 4 ways web page => http://www.logos.com/4ways

Wiki has => Getting Started with Logos page.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 27554
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 7 2011 6:22 PM

Denise - 

I do not have a MacBook air, but I have heard really good things. Personally, I prefer to have more ram. I also like to use my laptop to watch DVD's, which is not an option with the Air. In more recent days, I would have been concerned more about the lack of an optical drive, but with LION and the new version of iTunes, things are drag & drop!

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 100
Richard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 7 2011 6:32 PM

I went from a 2010 MBP 2.4GHz Core i5 8GB RAM and 7200 RPM HDD to a 2011 MBA 1.8GHz Core i7 4GB RAM (and SSD of course).

Logos 4 performs much better on my MBA. 

-- Richard

Logos 6 Mac (always the latest beta)

MacBook Air Mid 2011 (Lion)  |  1.8GHz Core i7  |  4GB RAM  |  256GB SSD
Samsung Galaxy S5

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 7 2011 9:35 PM

alabama24:

Denise - 

I do not have a MacBook air, but I have heard really good things. Personally, I prefer to have more ram. I also like to use my laptop to watch DVD's, which is not an option with the Air. In more recent days, I would have been concerned more about the lack of an optical drive, but with LION and the new version of iTunes, things are drag & drop!

DVD's can be ripped with handbrake and watched on the Air if you have an external drive or if they keep the old macbook they can use it as a server for CD's and DVD's. 

-Dan

Posts 27554
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 7 2011 10:38 PM

Dan Francis:

DVD's can be ripped with handbrake and watched on the Air if you have an external drive or if they keep the old macbook they can use it as a server for CD's and DVD's. 

You must use your own discretion with this. In the US, the legality of this has not been established. In the UK, however, this has just been legalized.

Posts 114
Steve Hultquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2011 12:08 AM

One brief note: there are rumors of an upcoming MacBook Pro refresh that will have the MBP be much more like the Air. That said, right now, I would go with the Air... I use a MBP with an SSD and 8GB, which is overkill for most people...

Posts 184
lostlogik | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2011 12:42 AM

alabama24:

Dan Francis:

In the UK, however, this has just been legalized.

Not quite yet. Technically it could still be construed as illegal. However the govt has acknowledged that it does need to be legalised. An Act on the matter has yet to be debated/passed in parliament.

Posts 27554
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2011 4:51 AM

lostlogik:

alabama24:

Dan Francis:

In the UK, however, this has just been legalized.

Not quite yet. Technically it could still be construed as illegal. However the govt has acknowledged that it does need to be legalised. An Act on the matter has yet to be debated/passed in parliament.

lostlogik - 

I should have caught that when the title said "to be legalised..." Smile Thanks for the "save."

Posts 4
Rounds | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2011 8:21 AM

Thank you all for your input! My SIL is in digital media and he recommended I consider a MacAir over the MBP for my next computer. I had shared with him the requirements to run Logos and he told me he thought MBP would be overkill for my needs.  So, having not thought about the lack of CD/DVD player to burn my iTunes library, etc. upon it. . . hmmm, can I buy an external CD/DVD to work around the lack of an internal CD/DVD?  I may be thinking too much in the past, just wondering. 

I use Logos a wee bit on my iPhone but as I have not bought any Logos software there is little advantage over other Bible Apps.

I appreciate your experience and input as I make the plunge into buying Logos software and a new laptop.

In Him with you,
Denise 

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2011 9:15 AM

Admittedly I am in Canada and our copyright laws are currently very different (soon possibly to become the strictest), but even in the US I would have no real fear in the fact that all my DVD's are main feature as an MP4 backed up to a hard disk. makes it very easy to watch a movie.. can put it on my phone computer or plug it into the Bluray player. I am not offering them for distribution online or even giving them away to friends and I see it no more illegal than making an MP3 from a CD I own.

-dan

Posts 27554
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2011 9:27 AM

Denise Rounds:

can I buy an external CD/DVD to work around the lack of an internal CD/DVD? 

Denise -

If you like to watch DVD's, then I don't think a MacBook Air is your best bet. I think that the greatest advantage people are seeing in MacBook Air speed is related to the SSD hard drive. MacBooks may be updated soon. Personally, I would wait, but others are experiencing a better experience with current the MacBook Air over the regular one.

If you get a MacBook Air, you can buy a CD-Rom drive from Apple HERE. You can always Share a CD-Rom drive from another computer, if you are only interested in ripping CD's / installing CD based software. Of course, iTunes now allows you to transfer music wirelessly, and with the Mac App Store, CD Rom's are becoming obsolete for many software titles. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2011 6:10 PM

Denise Rounds:

I use Logos a wee bit on my iPhone but as I have not bought any Logos software there is little advantage over other Bible Apps.

I appreciate your experience and input as I make the plunge into buying Logos software and a new laptop.

For mobile (e.g. iPhone) use, discussion in iPhone/iPad forum => What is your mobile resource availability percentage? may be helpful since many, but not all Logos resources are available for mobile use.  Thankful for Logos licensing change in 2009; software is free, pay once to use resources on your desired electronic device(s).

One advantage for Logos is availability of digital resources, with promised expansion of over 25,000 volumes http://vyrso.com that can also be used in Logos; may have over 40,000 volumes available for shopping in a few months (wonder about sale offers in December).

For buying Logos, wonder if you have any questions ?  Many features in Logos 4 need appropriate resources for data content, noted in bottom section on comparison chart => http://www.logos.com/comparison

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS