Galatians Commentary recommendations

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 61
David Sawyer | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 15 2011 2:06 PM

We're about to start a new sermon series going through the book of Galatians which I am very excited about.

Does anyone have any recommendations for excellent commentaries/books on this book?

I have the platinum logos edition, but am more than happy to buy an extra book if it's not in part of that package.

Thanks!

Posts 70
Robert Kostenbauder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 2:26 PM

You might find MacArthur's commentary useful and also Martin Luther's. I have used both and find them helpful.

Posts 128
Terry Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 2:36 PM

David Sawyer:

We're about to start a new sermon series going through the book of Galatians which I am very excited about.

Does anyone have any recommendations for excellent commentaries/books on this book?

I have the platinum logos edition, but am more than happy to buy an extra book if it's not in part of that package.

Thanks!

Unquestionably the best commentary on Galatians is the one written by Longnecker in the Word series.

Terry Cook

sDg

Posts 9138
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 2:46 PM

We are well-served by good commentaries on Galatians in Logos.

Timothy George's volume in the New American Commentary series is quite good and you should already have it.

Other good volumes available in Logos are Witherington's Grace in Galatia, Bruce's volume in the New International Greet Testament Commentary, Fung in the New International Commentary on the New Testament, and Longenecker's volume in the Word Biblical Commentary. Betz in Hermeneia is also available, but wouldn't be one of my top picks.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 454
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 3:07 PM

What's the intended purpose of your use? Are you preaching the sermons? Following along? Critiquing?

In general, however, I agree with Mark about the New American Commentary volume for Galatians. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Posts 61
David Sawyer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 3:39 PM

Thanks for the responses so far.  

Dave,

I'll be preaching about one in six of the sermons, and this will be my main use.  Although I would also like to follow along whole series so I'll have studied it well/deeper than simply listening to the other sermons that are preached.

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 3:53 PM

Without suggesting those already mentioned (I would always recommend F.F.Bruce first)...

how about http://www.logos.com/product/8078/baker-exegetical-commentary-on-the-new-testament-philippians

and for a more in depth self study, Moises Silva's http://www.logos.com/product/5338/interpreting-galatians-explorations-in-exegetical-method-2nd-ed

I have also found Gordon Fee refreshingly useful http://www.christianbook.com/galatians-a-pentecostal-commentary/gordon-fee/9781905679027/pd/679027?item_code=WW&netp_id=530823&event=ESRCG&view=details

Hope this helps IdeaBig Smile

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 5:22 PM

In the following order-

• Bruce, F. F. (1982). The Epistle to the Galatians : A commentary on the Greek text. Grand Rapids, Mich.: W.B. Eerdmans Pub. Co.
  • Fung, R. Y. K. (1988). The Epistle to the Galatians. The New International Commentary on the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.
  • George, T. (2001). Vol. 30: Galatians (electronic ed.). Logos Library System; The New American Commentary. Nashville: Broadman & Holman Publishers.

Michael Sullivan:

Agreed.

Posts 1663
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 8:07 PM

David Sawyer:
... a new sermon series ... Galatians ... recommendations for excellent commentaries/books ...

After studying Galatians earlier this year, these were the commentaries I found most useful:

1. John Stott, The Message of Galatians in the Bible Speaks Today series.
  2. James Dunn, in the Black's New Testament Commentary series
  3. F F Bruce, in the New international Greek testament Commentary series.
  4. Richard Longenecker in the WBC series.
  5. Tom Wright, in the Paul for Everyone series (part of the N T Wright collection in Logos)
  6. Timothy George, in the NAC series.

If you read Dunn and Wright (recommended), you may need some time to think through the New Perspective on Paul.

I also benefited by reading what the church fathers had to say in Philip Schaff, The Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers Vol. XIII.

Moisés Silva. Interpreting Galatians: Explorations in Exegetical Method doesn't cover all the sections and is pretty heavy going, but thought-provoking.

I also bought Witheringon's Grace in Galatia (Socio-Rhetorical series) but did not find it as useful as I expected.

If you have the Theological Journal Library, check out the articles in Review and Expositor Volume 91.

Still of some benefit was also J B Lightfoot's commentary, and Ramsay's classic St Paul the Traveller and the Roman Citizen (particularly on who the Galatians were.)

More broadly, the Dictionary of Paul and His Letters (from the IVP Reference Collection I think) is also good.

Hope that helps.

Posts 894
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2011 5:26 PM

David Sawyer:

Thanks!

For an entirely different slant, I love Wuest's Word Studies in the Greek New Testament (you may already have it in your collection, or I had to do a google search for the contents (unfortunately the description on Logos.com is pretty close to worthless):

• Volume One: Mark, Romans, Galatians, Ephesians and Colossians
  • Volume Two: Philippians, Hebrews, The Pastorals Epistles, First Peter, In These Last Days
  • Volume Three: Golden Nuggets, Bypaths - Treasures - Untranslatable Riches - Studies in the Vocabulary, Great Truths to Live By
  • Volume Four: The NT Translated by Wuest
  • "I read dead people..."

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS