L4 running on VMware Fusion

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 5 2009 9:36 AM

I made a comment earlier about using L4 on Fusion. I want to start a separate thread as it may prove helpful to others.

I am running VMware fusion 2 (latest build) on Snow Leopard.

Macbook Pro 17" Hires that has the dedicated video

Has a 500g 7200RPM drive and 4g of RAM.

I have allocated both cores and 2 gigs of ram to the Windows XP Home virtual machine.

I reported that I had L4 running, albeit somewhat sluggish. Well I forgot I had it in power savings mode, which uses the on board graphics processor. I switched to the dedicated graphics processor and have found it to be much better. In fact I think it is on par with my newly built PC which is XP Pro with striped 500g hard drives and 4 gigs ram. I feel that it is running better than V3 was running under Fusion. Hope this encourages others to give it a try.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 351
Luuk Dondorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:01 AM

Question: I have VMware fusion 2 running on my Mac with Snow Leopard and winXP is installed under BootCamp which I can use with VMware without rebooting.

I want to use Logos4 on under windows (in VMware Fusion) until the Mac version of Logos4 is ready.

At the moment I have Logos 3 installed on the windows side which is using the resources of Logos for Mac as a shared folder. Works great!

But how to do that with Logos 4?

Do yo know a way to let the L4 windows installer know where to find the resources which I have on my Mac?

I already have the Mac Alpha version of Logos 4 installed plus all of the resources of my new base package. (I upgraded from Bible Study to the Leader's package)

I do not want to have the resources twice on my computer and I do not want to download another 10 Gb. I don't have the space for it on my windows side.

But when I start the Logos4.exe windows installer on the winXP side of my mac it want to download them all. How to deal with that?

Perhaps you can help me out?!

Luuk

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:24 AM

Luuk Dondorp:
I want to use Logos4 on under windows (in VMware Fusion) until the Mac version of Logos4 is ready

That is what I am doing.

Luuk Dondorp:

At the moment I have Logos 3 installed on the windows side which is using the resources of Logos for Mac as a shared folder. Works great!

But how to do that with Logos 4?

From what I have understood, this is not possible. I think many of the resources are rebuilt for L4 and are not backward compatible.

Luuk Dondorp:
I do not want to have the resources twice on my computer and I do not want to download another 10 Gb. I don't have the space for it on my windows side.

I understand. I had to increase my partition to make room for the resources in windows. I have a 500G so total space wasn't an issue.

Luuk Dondorp:
But when I start the Logos4.exe windows installer on the winXP side of my mac it want to download them all. How to deal with that?

I did the initial install and downloads on my desktop PC. Then I copied the books to the XP in fusion to reduce download time. But all in all I think you have to have the new resources.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 1002
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:46 AM

Hi

I was using Windows XP Pro with Fusion 2.0.6 on Snow Leopard 10.6.1 during the L4 beta testing period.

Just before SR1 I have upgraded to Fusion 3.0 successfully in a few minutes, thankfully, uneventfully, feels faster.  So I maintain 3 VMs each runing both L3.0f and L4 SR4 all working well on each of the VMs:

• Windows XP Pro - upgraded from VM built under Fusion 2.0.6
  • Windows 7 (32bit)
  • Windows 7 (64bit)

Specs of my Laptop below ...

PS:

• I recalled that in fusion 2, you should only run with 1 core - I think it runs faster than if you have 2 or more core (? please try it)
  • I found memory allocation of 1.3GB is sufficient to run L3 and L4 for a 4GB; You need sufficient RAM for Snow leopard.

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Late 2013 2.6GHz RAM:16GB SSD:500GB macOS Sierra 10.12.3 | iPhone 7 Plus iOS 10.2.1

Posts 319
Michael Hite | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 8:00 AM

I too upgraded to Fusion 3 and seem to be getting better performance. Please note that if you are running Win XP the folks from VMWare suggest that creating a new VM from scratch for XP in Fusion 3 will get you better memory management and a smaller disk footprint. I have set up 2 VMs - one running Logos 3, and a second one running Logos 4. The new VM running Logos 4 is faster overall. Seems to be working very well.

2015 13" MacBook Pro - 2 Ghz Intel i7 - 16 GB RAM - 500GB SSD - 2018 iMac Pro - 3.2GHz 8-core Xeon - both systems running OS 10.14.3 (Mojave)

Posts 121
Scott Yip | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 8:07 PM

Hi,

How do you resize your VMware Windows Partition? I want to do this too.

Thanks.

Scott

Posts 121
Scott Yip | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 8:12 PM

Hi,

Is Fusion 3 a lot better than Fusion 2 in terms of performances? I am running Logos4 under Fusion2, using dual cores, and 2048MB. But still it is slow compared to Logos3.

I am wondering if the problem is due to my small hard-disk space allocated. I just have 30G allocated to Windows....and only 2GB left...

Scott

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 8:29 PM

Scott, Yip:

Hi,

Is Fusion 3 a lot better than Fusion 2 in terms of performances? I am running Logos4 under Fusion2, using dual cores, and 2048MB. But still it is slow compared to Logos3.

I am wondering if the problem is due to my small hard-disk space allocated. I just have 30G allocated to Windows....and only 2GB left...

Scott

Fusion 3 is noticeably faster than 2  and Logos 4 performs significantly better than 3 on my system (MBP unibody 17" / 2.93 GHz processor / 8 GB ram / 500GB-7200 HD). My VM is Win XP Pro SP-3. I also have 75 GB HD space allocated wo Windows, about 55% being used.

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 121
Scott Yip | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 11:15 PM

thanks!

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 12:54 AM

Scott, Yip:

I upgraded a week ago to Fusion 3 and it is faster. You need to create a new virtual machine under Fusion 3 to get all the speed enhancements though (as opposed to using a virtual machine created with Fusion 2).

Posts 121
Scott Yip | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 8:04 AM

Hi,

Do you know that is there any performance difference between using fusion from bootcamp partition and just 'easy install over Mac'?

Thanks....

Blessings,

Scott

Posts 143
iamk | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 1:58 PM

I am having a terrible time running L4 in fusion 3. I have set up a brand new XP machine on my MBP. It has 1.5 gbs of ram. It runs awful. I am having to go back to L3 for now. I have tried everything I know to try like disabling 3d acceleration, turning off XP's visual effects, etc. 

Does anyone else have any other ideas. Many people are saying it runs great, but it does not run great for me.

Posts 2643
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 2:55 PM

You may want to try Parallels 5. I have found it very fast. There were problems with Parallels 4 that appear to have been fixed. There is a free trial, so it may be worth a try until L4 Mac is ready.

Posts 121
Scott Yip | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 5:31 PM

I think you may need to increase ram to 4GB

Posts 143
iamk | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 6:33 PM

Scott, Yip,

my Macbook pro only has 4 gbs of Ram. I cannot allocate everything to windows bc it will obviously crash my MBP.

Posts 121
Scott Yip | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 6:43 PM

oh i c. I got your point. my situation is nearly exact as yours. my mbp has 4g ram, 2.4 dual core with 250G HD. I am running fusion 2 with XP on a bootcamp partition, occupying 30G space.

Logos4 has not been that fast as advertised. I changed settings according to folks suggest. I guess my last resort would be installing Fusion 3 on a 'Easy windows install' on Mac, instead of bootcamp partition, with maybe 50G space. I hope this help. But I may only do this after two week's time.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 6:48 PM

Scott,

Running Fusion on a Bootcamp installation is faster since Windows will run on its own partition rather than on a virtual disk within the Mac partition. In my opinion, performance gains are quite noticeable.

If you have not tried already, try turning off 3d Accel in the Fusion settings for your virtual machine. Makes a big difference for me.

As for the memory, I also have a 4 gig Macbook Pro and I assign 2 to my virtual machine. Seems to work well.

Logos 4 will continue to work slower than Logos 3, I don't know if it will ever get as fast while within a virtual machine. Hopefully this will not be an issue much longer as the native Mac version continues to be developed.

Posts 121
Scott Yip | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 6:50 PM

Alternatively, I am considering to resize my fusion partition. but I have not been able to find an updated document on this. Should I upgrade to fusion 3 first before trying this, or should I start everything from scratch....

Posts 121
Scott Yip | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 7:21 PM

Chris,

Thanks for the clarification.Did you allocate 1 or 2 cpu to your virtual machine?

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 7:31 PM

Scott, Yip:

Chris,

Thanks for the clarification.Did you allocate 1 or 2 cpu to your virtual machine?

Scott,

Just one. I have a dual-core CPU and VMWare says to only apply multiple cores if you have at least quad core.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS