Startup window is hidden when launch Logos 4

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 176
Jim Snowden | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 18 2011 9:29 AM

HI

After rebooting my PC after a few days, whenever I start Logos 4 (4.3) the taskbar icon appears and a flicker on the screen, but no Logos window appears. The app seems to be running and consuming 47-50% CPU. If I click the taskbar icon, there is a flicker that looks like the title bar of the logos window minimizing to the task bar. Click again and another flicker.

I've tried rebooting and uninstalling and reinstalling Logos 4 from scratch, but get the same problem. The install proceeds OK until it needs to display the startup/login window and then nothing is visible.

I've attached the diagnostic log just for fun, but it didn't seem to complain about anything. Maybe somehow the window size is set to zero somewhere in Windows? Can I clear that?

Or is there something else someone can suggest to fix the problem?

Thanks!

Jim

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 18 2011 12:00 PM

Jim, 

Your log is truncated early.  

Each time Logos starts (or even tries to in your case) the logs are cleared and rewritten.  It appears that you need to let it crank away for a bit, then close logos (by opening task manager  with CTRL+ALT+DEL and locating the logos process and killing it) and only after that  upload your logs.  

Stay with us, we'll help if we can.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 176
Jim Snowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 18 2011 1:38 PM

I don't think anything more than what is in that log is being written. I just tried it again and let it run for 15 minutes and then killed it and the log file looks like it ends at the same point (saying it is showing the startup window). During that 15 minutes, task manager shows logos4.exe running at 50% CPU usage, and memory usage going up and down between 40236K to 41444K

Do I need to let it run longer than 15 minutes?

Thanks

Jim

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 18 2011 2:15 PM

Jim Snowden:
Do I need to let it run longer than 15 minutes?

Your log only shows activity for the first 5 minutes or so. There are no errors showing. The log ends at displaying the startup window.

When Logos is running do you see the Logos icon on the task bar? (I assume not, but wanted to ask anyway.)

Have you tried holding down the CTRL key while Logos starts and opening to a blank layout?

If that doesn't work, I'm at a loss, except to suggest a reinstall following on of the methods (2 or 3, I think) in the wiki here: http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 176
Jim Snowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 18 2011 3:05 PM

Yes it is in the task bar. I click the icon in the task bar and I can see a flash on the screen of what looks like a title bar minimizing. Click the icon again and there is a flash. But the window itself never appears.

Yes I've tried the holding down the control key as it starts. I don't think Logos is getting far enough to actually display any screen.

Yes, I've tried all the reinstall options.

I've also tried uninstalling .NET and reinstalling it and then Logos in case that was a problem.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 18 2011 3:12 PM

Jim Snowden:

Yes it is in the task bar. I click the icon in the task bar and I can see a flash on the screen of what looks like a title bar minimizing. Click the icon again and there is a flash. But the window itself never appears.

Yes I've tried the holding down the control key as it starts. I don't think Logos is getting far enough to actually display any screen.

Yes, I've tried all the reinstall options.

I've also tried uninstalling .NET and reinstalling it and then Logos in case that was a problem.

Hmm. Have you ever had L4 on a 2 monitor display? I ask because it could be that Logos is trying to display on a secondary monitor, but can't find it. That would be a settings issue. I'm not sure how to fix that, but it could be something to bring up with tech support.

BTW, I think your next stop is tech support. Phone or email.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 176
Jim Snowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 18 2011 3:21 PM

Thanks for the replies RIchard. I haven't been using a 2 monitor set up. I've dropped an email to tech support anyway to see if they can help.

Jim

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2011 5:22 AM

Jim Snowden:
I don't think anything more than what is in that log is being written.
You're right, there is a real hang here and I'm afraid that it might require tech support's intervention.  

I'm glad you sent them off an email, though you might want to try to reach them by phone if possible.  

On my logs the next point which yours does not seem to reach includes setting focus, creating various lists and locating the databases.

It makes me wonder if there isn't a disk corruption?  Perhaps while you wait you can run a chkdsk /F  though I admit it's a long shot.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 176
Jim Snowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2011 2:48 AM

Well, I didn't hear back from tech support. So I did a bit of investigation myself. Logos launches fine when I start  Windows in "Safe mode with networking". Thinking about the problem and what safe mode does (disables video driver), I decided to reinstall the video driver for my laptop. Then rebooted in standard mode and it all works OK now.

Posts 26799
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2011 4:46 AM

Jim Snowden:

Well, I didn't hear back from tech support. So I did a bit of investigation myself. Logos launches fine when I start  Windows in "Safe mode with networking". Thinking about the problem and what safe mode does (disables video driver), I decided to reinstall the video driver for my laptop. Then rebooted in standard mode and it all works OK now.

Great diagnosis! So glad it is working now. It would help Logos if you send an email detailing your problem and solution  --> tech@logos.com.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 26799
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2011 4:48 AM

Jim Snowden:

Great diagnosis! So glad it is working now. It would help Logos if you send an email detailing your problem and solution + a link to this thread  --> tech@logos.com.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3
John Tyrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 1 2012 1:12 AM

Dear Jim

Thank you for this post. I have just had the same problem and thanks to you solved it quickly.

I do not know what used the computer to become corrupted. it affected a number of applications. I suspect a Registry corruption.

John

Posts 2
Ken Vlasak | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2012 1:11 PM

Thank you for the post.

I had installed this awhile back and gave up on it working on my PC. I put it on my laptop instead. Now with this info, I was able to install it on my PC and use the program where my books all are ( study/work central office ). For now my solution is to disable my Invidia video drivers since they were most current and I had no others to roll back to.

Ken

Posts 3
John Tyrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 6 2012 12:40 AM

I have since discovered what caused th problem on my computer! I tried to uninsta Quick Verse 6. The reason I know that this is the probem is i did it again. Several applications were damaged (SAGE, Epson drivers, LOGOS, Blackberry) and the video driver corrupted.

However Quick Verse remained intact. I wish I could get the Bible in my congregation's hearts in such a permanent way.

Posts 3
John Tyrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 6 2012 12:43 AM

Ken I was able to reload the driver using the ACER eManagment facility. Mine was also the latest driver with no roll back available. Perhaps your computer hs a similar reinstall facility.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS