"My Sermon Planner" instead of a lectionary

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 5 2009 10:03 AM

I can imagine how having the lectionary on your home page would be handy for those that use it.

I think it would be good if Logos developed a resource that would suggest pericopes, shorter texts and topics for my next Sunday morning and evening sermons. If it was integrated with the Sermon File Addin it could suggest texts or topics I had not preached on yet. Or it could give the date of when I last preached on a particular text or topic.

I think this would be a real plus to get the creative juices flowing.

Brad

Posts 27044
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 4:41 PM

Sounds to me like asking Logos to develop its own lectionary Wink I'm sure they would do better than some of the "new agey religious communities".

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3
Ryan Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 10:06 PM

This sounds like a great idea. This would be a great help in trying to preach the whole counsel of God and would open up verses that I had not thought about using before.

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 10:15 PM

Now THAT is an excellent idea?tool!!!!

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 10:17 PM

I would ove the abilty to import my own preaching plan to view alongside the lectionary viewer in the toolbar! Hint, hint! Wink

Posts 1691
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 11:11 PM

You can create a custom reading plan and just assign readings to upcoming Sundays.

In the future you'll be able to build a verse list.

Or do you want something that suggests passage? Or a "sermon idea generator"?

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 11:28 PM

I can't play with it in the Alpha, but for me the ability to assign verses to specific Sundays would be the starting point. 

The ability to save it as a file so I could look back on past plans would be important.  

The ability to attach a link to a note file would be good so once I put together content or write  a sermon, I could easily find sermons based on date.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 5:37 AM

Bob Pritchett:
You can create a custom reading plan and just assign readings to upcoming Sundays.
The problem with this Bob is that the reading plan doesn't exactly break on the same spots 's that I might hope. 

Bob Pritchett:
I'm still waiting for that addin that writes my sermon for me while I'm doing hospital visitation.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 2725
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 6:00 AM

Thomas Black:
I'm still waiting for that addin that writes my sermon for me while I'm doing hospital visitation.

Surely someone as knowledgeable as the man who made the Logos Home Page would know about SermonCentral.com in the passage guide.  All your longings met. Complete with Powerpoint for the visual communicators.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 6:10 AM

Thomas Black:
]I'm still waiting for that addin that writes my sermon for me while I'm doing hospital visitation.

That is a very individual addin which you first need to train to recognize your style -- like the Dragon Naturally Speaking.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 6:35 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
Surely someone as knowledgeable as the man who made the Logos Home Page would know about SermonCentral.com in the passage guide.  All your longings met. Complete with Powerpoint for the visual communicators.
Ah, yes - I removed both of them from my custom passage guide. 

I guess I'm stuck writing my own.  Two more sermons and two more lessons this week to go.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 9:14 AM

Bob Pritchett:

In the future you'll be able to build a verse list.

Another feature Bob, one other consideration.  I am teaching through Romans.  Last week another person spoke. So in cases like this, I would like the ability to simply insert a change of topic and push forward the plan for the remaining sermons without having to re-edit the entire list.

Also, the ability to print and share the plan is also good so I can plan with other pastors/leaders.

I do this in Excel/Numbers right now, but it would be a lot more powerful in Logos.

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 4:05 PM

Bob Pritchett:

Good questions. I will need to have a play around with the reading plan more to know what it can do. I preach through books or sections so as long as I could set up or import my passages I'd be happy. I could then simply click on that verse as it appears in the title bar and it would do the passage and exegetical guides for me. (I'm getting excited at the idea)

Bob, can I ask, is it possible to get spell check for notes? It is just a simple question that I'd like a response to. Even if it is no, or I don't know!

Thanks!

Posts 14
Ian Stanley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 29 2010 4:00 PM

I would certainly like to see an addin that  would help me plan out a series and keep a record of what I plan to preach.

Having a specific place to locate (without having to wonder where I left my notebook), plan a series of sermons

I would see each sermon entry having at least the following:

• sermon title (optional, defaults to pericope chosen, can be overwritten during sermon prep)
  • planned pericope, obviously
  • speaker (setting the default to myself or unplanned in the options )
  • location (defaulting to my home church)
  • idea notes (small area for any general ideas that occur with respect to the passage as i'm planning the series e.g notes on general themes "picking up last sermon/weeks theme on .... ")
  • sermon status (unstarted, drafted, finalised) which could be later filtered upon to show outstanding 

Features:

• calendar and list views
  • filter on speaker options
  • sermon prep outstanding view
  • I would like to see a view of all sermons outstanding in draft or unstarted and when they are required by whether they are my regular sermons, bible studies, other speaking arrangements etc.
  • ability to search on these entries
  • sermon entries also appear in "my content"

thanks in advance

:)

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS