Works of Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Page 2 of 5 (86 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 85 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 351
Luuk Dondorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 4:32 AM

George Somsel:

I would favor the publication of works in German, French, Spanish, Czech etc.  This would require an English-<Language> dictionary as well as a <Language>-<Language> dictionary such as Wahrig, Deutches Wörterbuch since most bilingual dictionaries are inadequate in many areas.

Hi George,

Not only because of works in non-english languages but also because of non-english users of Logos. A fully integrated <Language>-<Language> dictionary can be very helpful in both situations. 

Luuk

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 7:05 AM

I agree that a Deustch-Deustch Wörterbuch such as Duden or Wahrig would be a very useful tool.  But for the beginner an English <language> dictionary might be more useful (or comprehensible).  

A German <->English dictionary that I would really like to see would be the Langenscheidt Enzyklopädisches Wörterbuch Englisch.  Angel  If Logos have it they'll be the first one to do so (I'll be the first one to buy it too Stick out tongue) and will probably bring in learners of German, since I don't think that anyone has it in electronic format yet. 

Posts 19251
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 8:51 PM

Amy Leung:

I agree that a Deustch-Deustch Wörterbuch such as Duden or Wahrig would be a very useful tool.  But for the beginner an English <language> dictionary might be more useful (or comprehensible).  

They've already got:

I'd like to see them add German-English/English-German, and French-English/English-French dictionaries at the very least. There are decent online sites for all of these (and more), but it would be great to have them integrated into Logos so we can look something up when we come across a foreign word, or if we're reading an article in a language we're not fluent in.

Posts 90
Steve Nicholson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 9:26 PM

Me too!

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 9:54 PM

Rosie Perera:

Amy Leung:

They've already got:

I'd like to see them add German-English/English-German, and French-English/English-French dictionaries at the very least. There are decent online sites for all of these (and more), but it would be great to have them integrated into Logos so we can look something up when we come across a foreign word, or if we're reading an article in a language we're not fluent in.

They also have the Diccionario General de la Lengua Española Vox .  An entry picked at random:

dactilar adj. De los dedos o relacionado con ellos. sin digital.

véase huella dactilar.

As you can see, this is a Spanish-Spanish dictionary.  We need these in other languages as well.  We have 2-3 in English, but we could also use them for German, French, Dutch, Czech -- also British and Aussie Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 19251
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 10:08 PM

George Somsel:
As you can see, this is a Spanish-Spanish dictionary.  We need these in other languages as well.  We have 2-3 in English, but we could also use them for German, French, Dutch, Czech -- also British and Aussie Wink

Aw, blimey. We don't need a British-British or Aussie-Aussie dictionary. They already know what they're talking about. But we could use British-American and Aussie-American (and why not throw in Canadian, too; the Canucks are royally confused about words and spellings -- being caught between the elephant to their south and the motherland they are still loyal to; most spellings are British - e.g., colour, centre, realise, canceling - but sometimes they go with the American over the British -- e.g., license; and often nobody here really knows the proper Canadian way to spell things -- whether it's a double 'l' or single 'l' in words like canceling is particularly confusing -- since they see so much American text up here; they've also got some unique and fun Canadian words, too: e.g., toque, loonie -- not that these would be of any help in Bible study, mind you Wink)

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 10:31 PM

Rosie Perera:
they've also got some unique and fun Canadian words, too: e.g., toque

They also use that in the US in certain circles, but let's not go there.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 11:22 PM

On second thought the greatest difficulty Logos faces for offering such (German, Spanish, ... ) resources is the need to handle the numerous inflections possibilities of words in these languages!  The Latin dictionaries in Logos aren't working too well at the moment because they can only locate the words that are in their dictionary form(s), but in real life of course most words are inflected.  Sad  Logos probably need to partner with some experts in this area if they need to produce these resources.  Sad

Posts 19251
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 11:34 PM

OK, I won't go there (that would really be gratuitous thread-hijacking) but I couldn't help notice and be amused that toque and quote (right next to each other above) are anagrams of each other. Smile

Bad Rosie! Keep your thread hijacking hijinks to where they belong! HmmWink

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 11:44 PM

Amy Leung:

On second thought the greatest difficulty Logos faces for offering such (German, Spanish, ... ) resources is the need to handle the numerous inflections possibilities of words in these languages!  The Latin dictionaries in Logos aren't working too well at the moment because they can only locate the words that are in their dictionary form(s), but in real life of course most words are inflected.  Sad  Logos probably need to partner with some experts in this area if they need to produce these resources.  Sad

That shouldn't be an insuperable problem for Logos.  What you would need to do is to tag these resources for their lemma and language.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 11:46 PM

Rosie Perera:

OK, I won't go there (that would really be gratuitous thread-hijacking) but I couldn't help notice and be amused that toque and quote (right next to each other above) are anagrams of each other. Smile

Bad Rosie! Keep your thread hijacking hijinks to where they belong! HmmWink

A man after my own heart !  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

Posts 13
Hans Krause | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 10 2010 11:18 AM

I think an English-German publication of DB's work would be highly appreciated. The majority of Lutheran scholars know German and will at some time while reading an English DB translation wonder, what was the expression DB used in his original text. It is not any more exotic than having the NT in Greek or the OT in Hebrew, when you come to think of it.

Posts 19251
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 10 2010 10:14 PM

HansKrause:

It is not any more exotic than having the NT in Greek or the OT in Hebrew, when you come to think of it.

...or the Apostolic Fathers in Greek and English (which we have available).

Good point!  Next we'll be wanting Bonhoeffer's works in English-German Interlinear... Wink

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 10 2010 10:18 PM

Rosie Perera:

Good point!  Next we'll be wanting Bonhoeffer's works in English-German Interlinear... Wink

I know you are probably razzing George but I think that is a seriously GOOD idea!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 10 2010 10:19 PM

Deleted because a double-double mouse click made a double entry post..

Posts 40
Joe Newell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 21 2010 8:16 AM

Any progress on Bonhoeffer inclusion?

Thanks, Joe

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 21 2010 8:49 AM

I would certainly be a purchaser of Bonhoeffer books!       *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 5743
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 23 2010 3:27 AM

Milford Charles Murray:

I would certainly be a purchaser of Bonhoeffer books!       *smile*

*smile*  indeed MC if we could get this on the Pre-Pub page.

Posts 62
Rev. Wayne Paul Barrett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 23 2010 7:08 AM

I, too, would be interested in such a collection. Especially if they throw in Eric Metaxas' excellent biography Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 23 2010 10:55 AM

Bonhoeffer's case is particularly difficult. The international scope of his published works, the date of his death, the unpublished works yet to be printed, the convoluted copyright laws, the translation work done by others; these all factor into the process Logos must navigate to bring us a collection.  

Just check out Cornell University's breakdown of US copyright details and you will see what I mean:
http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm
And that does not consider international treaties or other sovereign nations. (Although the USA's laws are trumped by treaties.)

Page 2 of 5 (86 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS