LSJ vs. BDAG

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 19 2011 9:23 AM

I was hoping some of you with more experience & expertise could outline your preferences for LSJ vs. BDAG.  Is one better?  Why?  Are these really competitive resources or complementary resources? Does one have an advantage for use with Perseus.

Thanks for your insight.

Joe

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 2883
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2011 9:49 AM

Obviously, BDAG would be better because that is what I used in seminary 100 years ago.  No - wait it was only BAG back then.  Tongue Tied

I would be very interested in hearing folks compare LSJ & BDAG, too.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2011 10:41 AM

LSJ is aimed mostly at classical Greek usage. It does catalog Koine usages but, in my limited experience, not very much. It references the Bible some, but not nearly as often as BDAG.

BDAG on the other hand is only Koine. Its purpose is mostly for Christian Greek literature (just look at the long title).

So, for the Persius collection in which the Greek lit is mostly much older than the NT you will want LSJ for the best definitions of usage. Using BDAG would be somewhat analogous to using a modern English dictionary with Shakespearean English (or even older forms of written English). You could get by some but there would be mismatches between what words now mean and what they used to mean.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2011 11:53 AM

It took me forever to dig this post up, but Mark Barnes generated some interesting data on various dictionaries and lexicons in Logos here

LSJ has a shockingly larger amount of entries than the next 8 combined (including itself in abridged form!)

Posts 182
Clifford B. Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2011 12:11 PM

Joe Miller:

I was hoping some of you with more experience & expertise could outline your preferences for LSJ vs. BDAG.  Is one better?  Why?  Are these really competitive resources or complementary resources? Does one have an advantage for use with Perseus.

Thanks for your insight.

Joe

Joe,

BDAG and LSJ are best used together. But when it comes to Perseus, I am going to guess that Perseus will be linked to LSJ right out of the gates. That is my two cents.

Cliff

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2011 12:33 PM

Joe Miller:

Thanks for your insight.

Joe

Definitely complementary.  LSJ covers the range of Greek usage from early to late while BDAG is geared to NT and the Church Fathers.  One is therefore general while the other is specific.  There are times, however, when I think LSJ's treatment of a particular NT word is preferable to BDAG's.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 29
Otis Gouty | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2011 1:03 PM

Becker, echoed more, or less, by others is right on the money.

Posts 2796
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2011 6:54 PM

Joe Miller:

Thanks for your insight.

Joe

So are they giving us all of that 'free' stuff to get us all to move to 'portfolio'??????

This title is included as a part of the following collections.
Buy one of these package deals and save!

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2011 7:20 PM

It certainly sold me on the LSJ in anticipation of all of the free pre-pubs!

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2011 9:13 PM

thanks for the input everyone and for the link to Mark's post. I appreciate the insights.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS